DCA's Worst Day of Hell 14Dec06

singh4us

Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
Yesterday, due to very dense fog, DCA had 71+ flight cancellations. Many inbound flights were diverted or overflew DCA. Fog didn't lift until 2pm....massive sea of humanity..wall to wall...people stuck in DCA with no place to go until later in the evening. The Bag Room looked like a war zone -- bags everywhere awaiting outbound planes. The originations went off without a hitch as they can take off in dense fog; however inbounds couldn't get into DCA until mid-afternoon. It was as if all the major holidays were rolled up into one! Glad that it was much better today. From CLT to BOS many were effected by the dense fog. Never seen anything like that in 15 years. Everyone did there best in helping customers through the day. Thanks to DCA's finest!!

Yesterday, due to very dense fog, DCA had 71+ flight cancellations. Many inbound flights were diverted or overflew DCA. Fog didn't lift until 2pm....massive sea of humanity..wall to wall...people stuck in DCA with no place to go until later in the evening. The Bag Room looked like a war zone -- bags everywhere awaiting outbound planes. The originations went off without a hitch as they can take off in dense fog; however inbounds couldn't get into DCA until mid-afternoon. It was as if all the major holidays were rolled up into one! Glad that it was much better today. From CLT to BOS many were effected by the dense fog. Never seen anything like that in 15 years. Everyone did there best in helping customers through the day. Thanks to DCA's finest!!
and here i am complaining because its raining(lightly) and its still 75 degree weather. lol

If it's any consolation, everyone got hit by that one. 2 other f/as and I got on an a/c in STL at 0650 yesterday morning. Passengers began boarding at 0700 for an 0730 departure to DCA. We finally pushed back as 1212! They even cancelled the 0830 flight and put them on our plane.

[/

And it's going to take days to straighten out the baggage mess, its deplorable that we don't scan bags at all points as UA does. At least that way you'll be able to tell a psgr where his bag is. I guess that's too much to help for.

Sounds like Philly on a good day in the winter!! haha :up:

I took the PHX-BOS red-eye then hopped the 5:45 shuttle. It looked the the fog was still present around the PHL and BWI areas but it was pretty clear in D.C. this morning. I know inbound Philly flights were still being diverted this morning.

phl got nailed by fog and loss of runway 9r lights we got at least 8 airplanes if not a little more including a 319 and 2 321s one of which had a little maintaince with fuel transfer valve. only 4 or 5 of us to work all of them one 321 had to sit for over an hr on the active taxiway cuz we had absoultely no room to put him and 2 calls to occ didnt help either.

In my 20 years in the airline industry, I have never experienced such FOG. The fog was dense and came with wind. I have rarely, if ever, seen fog exist with wind. For two nights we didn't receive any overnight aircraft or early morning arrivals or departures. The fog would linger till late morning and surface again around 5pm.

Now, the fog is gone, but we are still experiencing delays and cancellations due to misplaced crews.

In my 20 years in the airline industry, I have never experienced such FOG. The fog was dense and came with wind. I have rarely, if ever, seen fog exist with wind. For two nights we didn't receive any overnight aircraft or early morning arrivals or departures. The fog would linger till late morning and surface again around 5pm.

Now, the fog is gone, but we are still experiencing delays and cancellations due to misplaced crews.
Ah, Dont you love the airline industry :D

Latest posts

Back