Rio Flt 800 fumes

How do you know it was a USAirways flight? If it says so on the internet, it must be true, eh? Proof that this video was actually of the flight it says it is?

Did the smoke magically dissipate before landing leaving no trace and no ill passengers, as in the flight from Spain?

Quick question - When you divert a whole plane load of passengers to support some ill-conceived safety campaign, do you have to make up the time, or do these guys pulling this crap take a pay hit in addition to jeopardizing their jobs for Cleary.

You are obviously not a pilot and thus, have NO idea how the air conditioning system in an airplane works and you have NO idea about how the QRH works and which checklists are run and what the desired result is. Now call me names, that is what the intellectually deficient do. To add, I found another youtube video of the Maui flight that shows a flight attendant walking down the smoke-filled aisle, and he is wearing a US Airways apron.

How do you know it was a USAirways flight? If it says so on the internet, it must be true, eh? Proof that this video was actually of the flight it says it is?

Did the smoke magically dissipate before landing leaving no trace and no ill passengers, as in the flight from Spain?

Quick question - When you divert a whole plane load of passengers to support some ill-conceived safety campaign, do you have to make up the time, or do these guys pulling this crap take a pay hit in addition to jeopardizing their jobs for Cleary.

It certainly looks like a US Airways interior. Carpeting matches. Blue leather seats match. Which other carrier in/out of SFO has the same carpeting, blue leather, etc.?

US flies to HI out of SFO?? UA maybe. But there may be more supporting evidence, which just hasn't been brought forward.

Did anyone YouTube the US flight from Spain?

The title of the YouTube video???

I didn't see that anywhere in the thread.

But, if the flight was to/from Hawaii and filling with smoke, might it have been more prudent to land at the closest airport which was probably SFO?

Personally, that's what I would do rather than return to PHX or continue to Maui. Maybe you would wish to save the divert to stay in Doug's good graces. What's a little bit of smoke, after all.

Hmmmm. I read that these things happen on third-world country airlines like Cubana-or whatever Cuba's airline is. Why don't the oxygen masks engage? I wouldn't want to breath this stuff, even if it's freon.

Why don't the oxygen masks engage? I wouldn't want to breath this stuff, even if it's freon.

The passenger masks are for depressurization only, to make up for the lower amount of oxygen available at higher altitudes. It used to be, and I assume still is policy to not electrically drop the masks in a smoke situation since smoke might equal fire and the last thing you want in an airliner is more oxygen feeding the fire (see Value Jet although that fire and the oxygen generators which caused and fed it were in a cargo hold).

Jim

The passenger masks are for depressurization only, to make up for the lower amount of oxygen available at higher altitudes. It used to be, and I assume still is policy to not electrically drop the masks in a smoke situation since smoke might equal fire and the last thing you want in an airliner is more oxygen feeding the fire (see Value Jet although that fire and the oxygen generators which caused and fed it were in a cargo hold).

Jim

Correct as stated. But to clarify for the poster who asked the question: When you breath through the passenger oxygen mask, you are still getting mostly cabin air, with a small amount of oxygen added. Sorry to burst the passengers' balloon, but the oxygen mask does not deliver pure oxygen to the exclusion of the air (smoke) in the cabin. They do not deploy automatically for smoke for that reason, i.e. they are at best useless in a smoke/fume situation, and, as BB pointed out, can make things considerably worse.

The pilots, however, wears masks that deliver pure oxygen and seal out (theoretically anyway) all smoke/fumes from their eyes and their breathing.

Reactions: 1 person
Aug 13:  #246 was put back in service the following day on Aug 14, for Flt 758 PHL-ATH  

Aug 15:  Flt 759 ATH-PHL, diverted to BGR for fuel. However Crewmembers reported a noxious odor & haze in the cabin and A/C was written up again. Crew sought medical treatment. But This didn't really happen either

Aug 13:  #246 was put back in service the following day on Aug 14, for Flt 758 PHL-ATH  

Aug 15:  Flt 759 ATH-PHL, diverted to BGR for fuel. However Crewmembers reported a noxious odor & haze in the cabin and A/C was written up again. Crew sought medical treatment. But This didn't really happen either

I'm sure when YELLOWNECK I mean SPARROWSMOM comes back from the cornfield he will have something to say about how this whole thing never happened.

OH, and a PHX crew had an issue the other night with cabin air from MCI-PHX.

The letter received from DAL regarding the incident down in BSB. It's amazing that not only does Herb get it, but now DAL does as well.
How long it will take for that kind of progressive, and radical thinking to come to US Airways?
Probably about the same time as a certain departure from PHX.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your e-mail complimenting one of our team members. On
behalf of everyone at Delta Air Lines, I appreciate the opportunity to
assist you.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding the service
received from our team member Gregory Paul. We truly believe our employees
are our most important assets, and I am so happy to learn that Mr. Paul
went above and beyond to assist to ensure the flight crew and passengers
of US flight 800 were safe.

Please know I will be sharing your comments with Mr. Paul and our
Airport Customer Service leadership team so appropriate recognition is
extended, on your behalf.