Delta jetliner rolls off taxiway during test

tell you what... if the 319s are out of the fleet and there are still 737-700s left, then I promise I'll treat you to lunch... but you've gotta keep in touch, ok? :)

Reactions: 2 people
tell you what... if the 319s are out of the fleet and there are still 737-700s left, then I promise I'll treat you to lunch... but you've gotta keep in touch, ok? :)
eh not really the deal I'm going for, but i can take up on it. I'll take my odd's on a newer airplane....with a higher cycle limit.

but no NEOs or this MAXs crap. Current fleets only.

Reactions: 1 person
eh not really the deal I'm going for, but i can take up on it. I'll take my odd's on a newer airplane....with a higher cycle limit.

but no NEOs or this MAXs crap. Current fleets only.
ok...what deal do you want? I can work with you.
DL made it clear that they aren't interested in the NEO or MAX at this point.... and I doubt if they would touch them within 5 years of EIS of the model unless they are part of an acquisition of an airline that has already ordered them.....
DL has clearly calculated by shunning the 787 and the NEO/MAX models in favor of mods on 767s and 744s and acquiring 739ERs that the ROI is not there to buy next generation aircraft when the operating costs of aircraft one or two generations old is only 5-10% less.
BTW, any truth that DL has reserved a ship number range for the 717s?

ok...what deal do you want? I can work with you.
DL made it clear that they aren't interested in the NEO or MAX at this point.... and I doubt if they would touch them within 5 years of EIS of the model unless they are part of an acquisition of an airline that has already ordered them.....
DL has clearly calculated by shunning the 787 and the NEO/MAX models in favor of mods on 767s and 744s and acquiring 739ERs that the ROI is not there to buy next generation aircraft when the operating costs of aircraft one or two generations old is only 5-10% less.
BTW, any truth that DL has reserved a ship number range for the 717s?
The 10 73Ws will last longer than the 50+ current 319s. simple as that.

and FWIW the 787 can't really be compared to the 67, the reason being, while it will replace the world's 767 fleet, it will also open up routes like ATL-PVG that is to small for the 777. 787 is a game changer for sure, it is a plane Delta will end up with sooner than 2018 IMO.

as for the 717 ship numbers, WT you know i could say if I knew but being honest I don't. I will wait till she rolls into TechOps before i start believing it. We have been "getting" a 100 seater 20 years a go when the 9 was parked. I'm just worried about less TechOp outsourcing and less scarebus running around. ;)

The 10 73Ws will last longer than the 50+ current 319s. simple as that.

and FWIW the 787 can't really be compared to the 67, the reason being, while it will replace the world's 767 fleet, it will also open up routes like ATL-PVG that is to small for the 777. 787 is a game changer for sure, it is a plane Delta will end up with sooner than 2018 IMO.

as for the 717 ship numbers, WT you know i could say if I knew but being honest I don't. I will wait till she rolls into TechOps before i start believing it. We have been "getting" a 100 seater 20 years a go when the 9 was parked. I'm just worried about less TechOp outsourcing and less scarebus running around. ;)
I don't think there is any doubt that the 73Ws will last longer than the 319s... a number of people have noted that the 320 family doesn't have the longevity that Boeing aircraft do.
I agree that the 787 will provide capabilies the 767 cannot provide, but indications are that DL is not interested in the 787-8 in which case the 787-9 is actually a pretty close replacement to the 777-200ER. But for some time there have been rumors that DL was seeking out used RR powered 777-200ERs as they became available and that with winglets which are apparently only being held up because Boeing wants to make sure the economics of the 787 remain favorable compared to other aircraft, the overall economics of wingletted 777-200ERs including financing will make it worth while to not acquire 787s until later... just as DL has done with the 767s and even the 744s.
DL clearly has decided it is not worth buying many new generation aircraft, settling for used and older generation aircraft (737-900ERs vs MAXs).
What narrowbody overhauls are done in-house now? If the intent is to acquire used 717s as part of a plan to reduce 50 seat RJ flying (which I think it is), then more jobs for DL employees is a good thing compared to DCI employees, right? Compound that with the Pinnacle BK filing and the opportunity for DL to rework a huge part of its 50 seat flying and it would seem that the deal benefits DL employees- and no other deal in the works apparently is aimed to do the same thing - the 739ERs are basic replacements.
The pilots are apparently suspicious of what bringing in more 717s will mean that DL wants from them in return - but I haven't heard what it is that DL wants.

Reactions: 3 people
God!!!

you people are boring as heck!!!!

what caused the plane roll?

why were the mechanics unable to save the craft?

was their training inadequate? or was ther horseplay involved

Having first hand knowledge (I work with both men involved), I can say that they are two of the top mechanics in our department. Both have better than 20 years experience and they absolutely know what they are doing.

The airplane rolled slid because it was too light for the power levels they were running at. They followed proper procedure and were found to not have been at fault. If they had more room, they could have kept the aircraft on the pavement, they just ran out of concrete.

New procedure has been put in place since the incident.

Reactions: 3 people
thanks DAL. I cant help but think that is all people (maybe just me) wanted to know. the rest of the BS on this thread could have been discussed elsewhere

however sliding tires with locked brakes seems implausible. isnt there minimum fuel requirements for taxi and engine run ups to TO?

thanks DAL. I cant help but think that is all people (maybe just me) wanted to know. the rest of the BS on this thread could have been discussed elsewhere

however sliding tires with locked brakes seems implausible. isnt there minimum fuel requirements for taxi and engine run ups to TO?

Thats why I havent added anything to the conversation until you asked.

It seems with enough power it is indeed possible. :lol:

There wasnt a set fuel load for a power run in a 737, since we have had the airplane just minimum fuel was required. We no require at least 26000lbs of fuel on board, and taking both engines up to power is not recommended.

Having first hand knowledge (I work with both men involved), I can say that they are two of the top mechanics in our department. Both have better than 20 years experience and they absolutely know what they are doing.

The airplane rolled slid because it was too light for the power levels they were running at. They followed proper procedure and were found to not have been at fault. If they had more room, they could have kept the aircraft on the pavement, they just ran out of concrete.

New procedure has been put in place since the incident.

Now that's funny... :lol:
Problem with crashes is there isn't enough sky and too much earth... :p
Thanks for the update!
B) xUT

I don't think there is any doubt that the 73Ws will last longer than the 319s... a number of people have noted that the 320 family doesn't have the longevity that Boeing aircraft do.um so we agree?
I agree that the 787 will provide capabilies the 767 cannot provide, but indications are that DL is not interested in the 787-8other than thw orders it has for them? in which case the 787-9 is actually a pretty close replacement to the 777-200ER.which would be why the 8s will replace the 300ER But for some time there have been rumors that DL was seeking out used RR powered 777-200ERs as they became available and that with winglets which are apparently only being held up because Boeing wants to make sure the economics of the 787 remain favorable compared to other aircraft, the overall economics of wingletted 777-200ERs including financing will make it worth while to not acquire 787s until later... just as DL has done with the 767s and even the 744s.never heard this rumor be fore in my life lol....again, 777 is great but loses money when it isn't filled up. Thus your problem.
DL clearly has decided it is not worth buying many new generation aircraft, settling for used and older generation aircraft (737-900ERs vs MAXs).or they can't get MAX when they can get NGs.....which is pretty much what Anderson said.
What narrowbody overhauls are done in-house now? none....but don't worry, they will be doing them in Mexico If the intent is to acquire used 717s as part of a plan to reduce 50 seat RJ flying (which I think it is), then more jobs for DL employees is a good thing compared to DCI employees, right? if DCI doesn't go then yes, but that never seems to be the case. Compound that with the Pinnacle BK filing and the opportunity for DL to rework a huge part of its 50 seat flying other than enter into a money losing contract with 9E what are they going to do? and it would seem that the deal benefits DL employees- and no other deal in the works apparently is aimed to do the same thing - the 739ERs are basic replacements.
The pilots are apparently suspicious of what bringing in more 717s will mean that DL wants from them in return - but I haven't heard what it is that DL wants.lower quality of life....more out sourcing. more codeshares, more DCI big jets....samething they always want.

Dawg,
you and I have never disagreed about the versatility and value of the 737-700. My only point was that if DL could use the 737-700s as part of a deal to acquire 717s from WN - which would be giving up alot of capacity - then I believe DL would consider it. I have never doubted the value of the 737-700, just that if necessary DL could find other aircraft to serve the purpose.
Where did you get info that the 777 is a money loser unless full? More significantly even moreso than any other aircraft. Even the 777-200 has a CASM much lower than the 744 and DL has used the 777 to expand the Pacific.
DL is carrying more cargo from Asia to Detroit on the 744s than UA is carrying to ORD, in part because of the mix of LRs... not sure how the 777 can be considered economically inferior to existing aircraft.
And the 777 is still an older generation aircraft compared to the 787 which means the ownership costs are much lower..
DL will fly the 787 eventually but they are in no hurry to take the next new thing on the market
If the 717s do come over, it still provides more work for DL employees across the company than currently occur if DCI is operating a bunch of 50 seaters, for whom the economics no longer work. If DL figures out how to reduce the 50 seaters and add more jobs for DL employees, I have a hard time finding it to be a bad thing - except for DCI employees.
But the 717 fleet won't come overnight and the CRJs won't leave overnight either.

where would DL fly the 717 to if they do acquire them
IF DL closes a deal, the 717 realistically have a range of 2-3 hrs so could cover the majority of the US east of the Rockies from ATL, DTW, and/or MSP - which is the majority of DL's route system, including the connection carriers.