Delta's New World Order

World Traveler,

Isn't CAL #2 to Latin America? With all those flights to Mexico from Houston? UA is #4 in South America because AA killed them in Miami and JFK. UA's service centers around Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo with service from Chicago and Dulles in Washington. I was in Buenos Aires in Early 2005, UA's flights to ORD & IAD were full, those two 767-300ER were carrying passengers not having to deal with Miami and its awful reputation. Even though UA tried for years to make Miami and JFK work to South America, that service was primarily Caracas, Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo. To Caracas from Miami, UA had one flight daily, AA has 3 or 4; UA got killed. UA's service to GRU and EZE(from MIA) was with 777 in the later years, but AA still killed them.

AA flies 2 777 from Miami to Buenos Aires, they fill the First Class Cabin with paying passengers, its a gold mine for them, but would it work without the feed in Miami. UA's share in South America works because its clients are from non-traditional gateways in the mid-west and the Washington DC area. With 767's they can support service to the two most important cities in Latin America, Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo. Mexico City gets well served by UA from many US points, but that would be expected.

All the indications are that DL will not only successfully restructure but become a driving force in how the industry consolidates.

I actually just laughed outloud at the above line. That is one of the funniest and most ridiculous things I have read on the internet since the Segway was supposed to turn the world on its ear. Well we are still waiting for that and we will never see Duhlta do anything but merge with NWA and wallow through that process for a long long time.

Blue book, Red book, rednecks, pickup trucks and snow mobiles. It is a marriage made in purgatory. Aeroflot for the new millenium

I knew I could count on you for your defensive responses. The reality is that DL has a significant cost advantage over UA and is closing the gap at a very fast pace on the revenue advantage. And UA's revenue advantage under which they have justified their higher costs is quickly eroding thanks to low fare carrier growth. LFCs aren't growing in DL's markets but they sure are in UA's - in fact faster than they are in other carrier's hubs except perhaps US's. It clearly says that the LFCs see blood in the water at UA and are willing to swoop in. Spending 3 years in BK and coming out with some of the industry's highest costs and a business plan that allows no growth is quite frankly inexcusable.

It always takes time for the truth to become apparent but I'm getting more and more confident by the day that DL will be the acquirer and won't be messing around w/ NW and its lack of LHR or beyond NRT service and its paucity of long range aircraft. UA will like really nice to DL in a couple years... and no airline will have the resources, lack of overlap, or track record to acquire UA including CO which continues to leverage itself and is watching DL get lower costs and more profit per ASM than CO has had.

Reactions: 1 person
Delta & Comair had the worst operating margin in the industry in the first quarter - according to the BTS:

Delta, Comair trail pack for 1Q operating margin

Monday June 19, 4:05 pm ET

In a segment of the airline industry where operating losses are the rule, Delta Air Lines saw the greatest operating loss in first-quarter 2006, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

The bankrupt airline's $281.6 million operating loss for the quarter put it well behind Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK - News), with a loss of $146.8 million, and Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News), which reported an operating loss of $145.4 million, the bureau said in a news release. Delta's first-quarter operating margin of minus 9.4 percent ranked it second to last, above Alaska.

Delta (Pink Sheets: DALRQ - News) ranked fifth of the seven "network" carriers in domestic unit revenue with 14.4 cents per available seat mile. It ranked fourth of seven for operating expenses per seat mile, at 15.8 cents, and last for domestic revenue yield, at 11.5 cents in revenue per passenger mile.

The best performer of the network airlines was Northwest (Pink Sheets: NWACQ - News), with a first-quarter operating profit margin of 3.2 percent -- the only airline in the network segment with an operating profit.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060619/1304165.html?.v=1

Ouch! Well, maybe DL will turn it around by throwing widebody service to lots and lots of new international destinations that, as Fly points out, any airline could serve if it wanted. B)

Ouch! Well, maybe DL will turn it around by throwing widebody service to lots and lots of new international destinations that, as Fly points out, any airline could serve if it wanted. B)

Where are all of these magical widebodies...or any long range a/c...coming from at other carriers? Truth is that they cannot serve them until acquiring more planes...which no US carrier is doing (except for CO who actually has some decent orders out there).

It should be obvious that DL's financial performance is improving on a monthly basis. 1Q 2006 is not representative of where DL is today.

CO and DL alone seem to have a vision for extensive int'l expansion. DL is able to do most of what it is doing now w/ existing aircraft that require relatively inexpensive cabin modifications. CO is growing its int'l network largely through 757 deployments to Europe right now which is freeing up some widebody aircraft for long-haul flying. I think history will not be kind to most of the rest of the industry that sat by and let the globalization of the US airline industry pass them by.

It should be obvious that DL's financial performance is improving on a monthly basis. 1Q 2006 is not representative of where DL is today.

CO and DL alone seem to have a vision for extensive int'l expansion. DL is able to do most of what it is doing now w/ existing aircraft that require relatively inexpensive cabin modifications. CO is growing its int'l network largely through 757 deployments to Europe right now which is freeing up some widebody aircraft for long-haul flying. I think history will not be kind to most of the rest of the industry that sat by and let the globalization of the US airline industry pass them by.

One persons opinion, on the industry not acting like lemming's. AA planned a big increase in NE USA to Western Europe. In the end thought better and decided to wait and do more planning on the idea.

anyone who has read this board for any length of time know that I have alot of respect for AA mgmt and its ability to adapt to the many changes in this industry over and over again. However, AA has taken a decidely status quo approach to its network at a time when two of its competitors are significantly expanding in NYC - part of the backbone of AA's network. While AA is still a decent sized airline in NYC, CO and DL's growth in NYC will make it increasingly difficult for AA to position itself as a viable competitor. I'm not sure the secondary cities in Europe to which CO and DL are expanding is as important but I do believe AA could come to regret its lack of growth in NYC.

This will all become obvious in time but AA is obviously not worried about slipping and their decision may be rooted in strategies that are much bigger than any single market, even if it is the world's largest market which NYC is.

I actually just laughed outloud at the above line. That is one of the funniest and most ridiculous things I have read on the internet since the Segway was supposed to turn the world on its ear. Well we are still waiting for that and we will never see Duhlta do anything but merge with NWA and wallow through that process for a long long time.

Blue book, Red book, rednecks, pickup trucks and snow mobiles. It is a marriage made in purgatory. Aeroflot for the new millenium

Typical loser response from the biggest loser around...back to your UAL hole, you cretin!
Hard to believe that this psycho is allowed to fly a plane full of passengers...

Easier to sit back and watch them fail.

You better hope that isn't in AA's game plan. DL did the same thing with US and that didn't get us very far did it?
DL isn't going away and I would venture to bet that the industry consolidation does not happen as quickly as some analysts predict.

Latest posts