Despite Low Pay, Hundreds Compete For Us Airways..

This is, in a nutshell, the reason concessions are relatively easy to get. Too many people chasing too few jobs. Just as there is an oversupply of seats in the industry, there's an oversupply of labor.

mweiss said:
This is, in a nutshell, the reason concessions are relatively easy to get. Too many people chasing too few jobs.
Now my questions are how many of these people can pass the drug tests & background investigations & training. Then even after all that when they get out here & find out what it is like to work in all kinds of weather outside. To take off 200 plus bags only to turn around & put another 200 plus back on. Oh by the way the light bags today weigh at least 55-60 lbs. How many of these people will stay ?
That will just do for starts.

coachrowsey said:
Now my questions are how many of these people can pass the drug tests & background investigations & training. Then even after all that when they get out here & find out what it is like to work in all kinds of weather outside. To take off 200 plus bags only to turn around & put another 200 plus back on. Oh by the way the light bags today weigh at least 55-60 lbs. How many of these people will stay ?
That will just do for starts.
[post="245254"][/post]​

I totally agree.

"""I just want to get my foot in the door in the airline industry," said Edward Lopez, 27, of Fairfax, who currently works in retail. He said several friends at US Airways recommended the company as a good place to work."'

With friends like that.....

usairways_vote_NO said:
"""I just want to get my foot in the door in the airline industry," said Edward Lopez, 27, of Fairfax, who currently works in retail. He said several friends at US Airways recommended the company as a good place to work."'

With friends like that.....
[post="245259"][/post]​

I wonder how Mr. Lopez became friends with Lakefield, Glass and Crellin?

when Bush implements the Guest Worker Program there will be plenty of Lopez's beating the door down for $8.00 an hr. jobs. Were not only under attack at the airlines but on a much larger scale. Thank GOD all my kids are Grown and fending for themselves and that I was able to give them a decent Education.

local 12 proud said:
when Bush implements the Guest Worker Program there will be plenty of Lopez's beating the door down for $8.00 an hr. jobs. Were not only under attack at the airlines but on a much larger scale. Thank GOD all my kids are Grown and fending for themselves and that I was able to give them a decent Education.
[post="245262"][/post]​

Local 12 proud, you are right! Thank GOD that I got my education.

Out of the "Hundreds" that showed up, many will walk away. Some will go away once they find out most of the positions are P/T. Others will go away once they realize the pay sucks, and their benefits do too. The only good thing about working for an Airline anymore is the flying benefits. After the novelty of that wears off, there is nothing left.

Flight benefits are of no use when you don't make enough to take advantage of them. They'll get the druggies and trailer trash that have trouble showing up for work 3 days in a row.

When Bush and the Republicans open the borders like they want, they'll be plenty of Mexican nationals that will literally flood into this country, live 5 families to a house and work for peanuts.

If you're a blue collar working guy or gal, you need to be plenty scared of what Bush is going to do to you.

US Air is only a microcosim of where the political and corporate aristocracy is taking this country.

Hey Hawk,

Any preliminary results on the drug and background checks for the persons who were offered employment pending the results? Just curious to the percentage who passed both tests, I know you guys in CCY have at least one chart on the subject :p

I have told this story before on this board but it is relevant here. When Continental picked up the scraps from Frontier in 86 I went to work for them for a couple of months. CO was hiring baggage handlers for just over minimum wage. The turnover rate in DEN was almost 25% PER MONTH. over 250% per year. And the damage done to aircraft, well you can guess...I was cept plenty busy putting on scab patches. One day a ramper drove a cart under a 580, buried that cart 2ft into the belly while it was at the gate. What did he do? leaned back, unhooked the cart and cept going. The crew was not happy..But at least bagge handlers were cheap.... :(

Back