Union Will Fight Closing Of Us Airways Call Center

i wish people would just move on. the vote ratified . they knew that either the pit or winston salem res center was going to close when they voted. now they want to fight it ? give me a break. ok so you keep the pit res center open. that means that the winston salem one closes. is pittsburgh better than winston salem ? is winston salem better than pit? you guys knew going into the vote that one of the res centers was going to close. so whats the matter. get over it, move on!! the union is not going to win this. a big waste of time. go find jobs that pay you better. i heard ikea is hiring.

The CWA contract permits the company to close a reservations sales office and gives the company the right to select the facility it elects to operate. Judge Mitchell has a responsibility to the creditor's first, but in the past he has virtually always sided with management.

Meanwhile, I bet the CWA objection could jeopordize the CWA's "buy out" provision.

The CWA's move could slow down the pending consolidation, but I expect the court to rule on the CWA's motion in the not-so-distant future.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot

It cant jeopordize the buyout, stop spreading false information once again.

The contract ratified the CWA is wasting its time and your statement is absurd.

jack mama said:
700, give it a rest...everyone on the board knows the iam took the biggest hit, the assumption is because of their negotiation stance (ie the concession stand is closed). Well, it turns out the concession stand was not closed, now was it. I'm sure there are plenty of IAM members who are more than unhappy with the way it went down, and I'm sure the IAM will never tell them how it really went down anyways.

About the thread at hand....I would say its a little too late for the CWA to stand up to the company now. They don't have a leg to stand on.
[post="244612"][/post]​

Jack:

In purely legal sense, Allegheny County may
have a leg to stand on in this case, because
if the numbers are correct, US Airways turned
down a deal that provided them with more
money and incentives than the Winston-Salem
deal. In the BK process, the entire idea is to
cust costs and preserve cash to keep the business
entity afloat and the creditors happy, and if
US gave up several million dollars with their
decision, it may warrant a second look by
Judge Mitchell.

On the other hand, any benefit to the CWA
will be gained purely on the efforts of
Allegheny County to pursuade Judge Mitchell
that the company made the wrong decision.
So the CWA has something to gain by
supporting Allegheny County. My guess is
that Judge Mitchell is not going to hear the
motion because he is so far in the pockets
of US Airways management, that he will
overlook his legal obligation and sweep it
under the carpet.

Warnings not heeded so the board will be available for non 700/320 postings for 24 hours. Thanks for playing, I'm sure the rest of the group would appreciate you taking it to PM next time like you were politely asked to do.

I think the airline will say that money alone was not the only factor in picking Winston Salem over Pittsburgh....

Other issues that may have been considered...moving equiptment to Pgh...the business and tax enviroment in Pittsburgh...Other start-up costs in moving the Rez center from its Greentree location to a downtown Pittsburgh location, parking problems, traffic, utility costs, insurance costs, weather, ability to terminate its current lease with Parkway Center Mgt in Greentree, etc....

More specialized departments are already in Winston Salem like: Chairman's Preferred, Rates and International Rates Dept, Groups, Meeting & Conventions Dept, TLC, More International Rez trained agents, etc.....

scot said:
Warnings not heeded so the board will be available for non 700/320 postings for 24 hours. Thanks for playing, I'm sure the rest of the group would appreciate you taking it to PM next time like you were politely asked to do.
[post="244621"][/post]​

Can you extend that timeframe a couple weeks? ;)

-------

It's not just about the cash incentives being offered by the respective governments.

What the company will be able to show is the actuarial benefit of closing PIT. X% of the PIT employees will transfer, y% from PIT and INT will receive severence, and z% from INT will continue on payroll. Reverse the equation to close INT, and you'll probably see higher expenses.

Then there's other issues like training, as already noted. You can't just throw an agent into class for eight hours and expect them to learn one of the specialized desks.

Even I knew part of the deal was that one office was going to close upon ratifying the contract, so how come Chris Fox didnt.

Isn't INT res represented by the CWA as well, they should be calling their local and complain that their union dues are being wasted on a useless court fight. Doesn't matter which office it is, the contract said one would close. And there would be alot of dissapointed agents in PIT if the office was open even one extra day. The county and local business are all coming together and offering retraining incentives, unemployment assistance and career workshops. I think people in PIT are finally getting it. When it is all over- we are going to be the lucky ones...

I believe that the company explained in it's decision that INT already has the facilities whereas PIT would have to be constructed. I wonder if CWA would have fought it if the decision had gone the other way?