Despite Low Pay, Hundreds Compete For Us Airways..

So if the interviewed hundred and only got a handfull...

To get hundreds they'll need to interview thousands...

Drug checks, background checks, low pay...

You got to love this country.....

700UW said:
Yes, they had 18 bids up for three weeks and no takers.
[post="247293"][/post]​

Imagine that? Lowered wages..and a pretty high cost of living in that area. Who could pass on that?

Don't get me wrong. BOS is a neat place...and the U workers there are top notch..but the choice to move there for U is a bit of a stretch unless less you are just tired of working in BDL or PVD? The case from the people I know there is usually the reverse option.

There are alot of people who think airline jobs are a piece of cake...

And don't stay after they see what is involved...

They don't realize the hard work involved...erosion of benefits...

And will see how low the pay can be.... in comparrison to other fields....For what they do...

Sounds like they're feeling around for the market rate, and don't want to aim too high.

No reason that I can think of, except perhaps for a need for urgency. I'm just making an observation about their behavior.

Airline jobs are great..so long as you don't mind having another job to make ends meet. Whats wrong with working 24/7.

Just remember it's not who you know, it's who you.....

I forgot the last word...

Winglet said:
Flight benefits are of no use when you don't make enough to take advantage of them. They'll get the druggies and trailer trash that have trouble showing up for work 3 days in a row.

[post="247201"][/post]​

Folks are forgetting that your situation may be different from others. You may have a 50 year old woman applying to drive the special assist carts around. Her husband already has a job, so the second job adds 1) incremental income, and 2) the flight benes that allow the couple to go out and see the kids down in Florida.

For the baggage handlers, perhaps you have a handler with no education would would otherwise be digging ditches and would be much happier with some insurance, some benefits, and some motivation.

There seems to be a lot of sour grapes around here. Nothing new of course.

PitBull said:
This is too funny.

Once you "drug test, there is only 10 left."
For clarification, this is someone's characterization, not a quote from the article.

ITRADE said:
For the baggage handlers, perhaps you have a handler with no education would would otherwise be digging ditches and would be much happier with some insurance, some benefits, and some motivation.

That is an insult almost everyone I work with(myself included) has a COLLEGE education. I know a few who have Masters and I understand at least one has a PHD. First paragraph a quote from ITRADE. It didn't come out to good.

Why are you insulted? You chose to take a job that doesn't require a college degree even though you have a college degree. Why is it insulting to point out that the job doesn't require a college degree?

I think your post is insulting to ditch-diggers.

coachrowsey said:
ITRADE said:

This is typical of the thinking of executives and managers that have never really "worked" in their life. In times where labor is plentiful and cheap you don't need leaders that know how to motivate and lead, only force and threats.

There are very very few true leaders in American industry today because the company and the business isn't their motivation . . . only what's in it for them. And it's going to continue to get worse.

If Bush and the Republicans get their way on opening the borders to cheap distressed labor, we're going to be on the fast track to a two tiered society. Bush doesn't want free trade within the US where if you can't fill a job by paying $5 an hour, you might have to raise it to $7 . . . . . he want to fix that for the elite by just calling it a labor shortage and letting the floodgates open.

And I was a Republican for 30 years, including over 20 serving my country in the military. I'll be a cold day in hell before I vote for a Republican again.

Back