DFW TSA and AA employee in trouble

Getting back to DFW... In addition to the employee lots Jim mentioned, there also used to be a restricted number of close-in passes allocated by lottery which could be used at the hourly garage at the terminals. Not sure if that's still the case anymore or not, but if so, it's probably where the stolen passes came from.

Reactions: 2 people
The parking passes were stolen by a American Eagle employee working in the B terminal. The biggest problem I see with parking at DFW are the number of employees who have Handicap Parking Tags and park in the terminal garage closest to the front door. Im sure some do need it, but if you can get in the belly of a 757/737 and load 200 bags, then you can probably ride the bus from the lot.

Reactions: 9 people
The parking passes were stolen by a American Eagle employee working in the B terminal. The biggest problem I see with parking at DFW are the number of employees who have Handicap Parking Tags and park in the terminal garage closest to the front door. Im sure some do need it, but if you can get in the belly of a 757/737 and load 200 bags, then you can probably ride the bus from the lot.
Absolutely correct...and it's just a sad reflection of today's society. Don't know how many times I have gone to the store and see a well taken care of or shiny new auto pull into a handicap parking spot up front and a young to middle aged perfectly healthy looking individual hop out and stroll up to the entrance of the store. It seems as though it happens almost every time I'm out. And yes, they throw their tag on the mirror.

In some areas that are more labor friendly, such as SJU the employees park in the same garage as the passengers. IMO the remote facilities and lack of an alternative (such as Josh's ability to walk) really are a theft of time, up to an hour a day where we are on company property and not getting compensated for it, IMO we should be able to badge in at the lot, after all the company considers our behavior at the lot as behavior "at work on company property", so we should be paid for it.

Reactions: 3 people
It's funny that you mention the situation with the Handicap parking, as I have actually seen people use these spaces in the Emp. lot and then RUN to the bus.......

Absolutely correct...and it's just a sad reflection of today's society. Don't know how many times I have gone to the store and see a well taken care of or shiny new auto pull into a handicap parking spot up front and a young to middle aged perfectly healthy looking individual hop out and stroll up to the entrance of the store. It seems as though it happens almost every time I'm out. And yes, they throw their tag on the mirror.

They are probably using a valid hang tag that belongs to another family member or friend. It is a violation of both state and Federal law to use a handicap sticker/hangtag to park in a handicap spot unless the handicapped person is present. And, you're right. I see it violated all the time.

With the revenue the city, state and federal govts. make from airlines doing business I think they could allow the employees to park free. IMO.

...I hear ya, but it's possible that they're going in to that store to help someone (spouse, sibling, child) out to the car that genuinely needs it. Been there, done that.

In some areas that are more labor friendly, such as SJU the employees park in the same garage as the passengers. IMO the remote facilities and lack of an alternative (such as Josh's ability to walk) really are a theft of time, up to an hour a day where we are on company property and not getting compensated for it, IMO we should be able to badge in at the lot, after all the company considers our behavior at the lot as behavior "at work on company property", so we should be paid for it.

+1

Reactions: 1 person
It's funny that you mention the situation with the Handicap parking, as I have actually seen people use these spaces in the Emp. lot and then RUN to the bus.......
I have an old friend who was very fit, could run, etc. he had a valid handicap permit. One time some old lady challenged him after we got of the car (in a handicap space). He reached down and popped off his prosthesis and handed it to her while remaining balanced on his one good leg.

He said "I will gladly trade this and the handicap sticker back for my real leg".

Needless to say, she was speechless.

Things aren't always as they seem.

I realize that, but I know who most of these people are from the workplace and that's not the case here. One guy works the gates, and works the bins all day long.

1) not all handicap tags are for visible or obvious disabilities

2) if you know someone is regularly abusing the tags, call them out on it face to face, or have a shop steward do it. Abusing the terminal tags risks having them revoked for everyone.

3) call DPS. Illegal use of a tag can result a bigger fine/revenue than a ticket for just parking there without the tag at all. I suspect DPS @ the airport would love to catch them in the act, which is easy to do with shift workers... I'm sure admin would also rather see someone else get a terminal tag...

I know... You'd rather piss & moan about someone vs. actually reporting it & rat them out.

So much interest and discussion on such a trivial topic.

Should your company pay you to post on an airline forum during business hours?

I had the day off work, but yes I do occasionally post on here while at work. Do you ever take phone calls, converse with your colleagues, or perform non-work tasks online while at work? I am an overtime exempt salaried employee, frequently work more than 50 hours each week, work from home on weekends and answer emails while away from work so yes it is okay for me to post during business hours.

Maybe you should pay a fee to use the elevator, the toilet, the electricity for the Coffee machine and the heating and cooling. Why should your employer pay for that? You are a real jerk. The fact is you can walk, LGA may be an exception but you cant walk to most airports, most airports wont allow you to walk, and as someone already pointed out mass transit isn't really an option, AA isn't being asked to bear the cost of us getting to work, but once we are there they pay the cost of having a place to put our means of getting there, not always a very convenient place either, we are probably further from our car than you live from your office. Many of us have to take a bus once we get to work, on our own time, to actually get to the location where they have us working, so after driving to the airport we lose as much as an hour each day of unpaid time.

Bob you don't get it. Plenty of other workers park or devote several hours each day to reach their place of employment, especially in the Greater New York area. In different areas expectations on parking are different based on land and accessibility of public transportation. If I worked in a suburban office the expectation would be to provide parking. Not for city center office workers where garage spaces command $400/month+. Why should AA allow you to clock-in when you park your vehicle? You aren't being productive or performing your job duties so why do you expect to be paid for that time? Should other workers similarly demand their employers pay them from the minute they pull out of their garage at home and pay them until the moment they return? Just like purchasing/packing a lunch, laundry/dry cleaning, providing certain tools and supplies, expenses related to commuting should be the responsibility of the employee not the employer

Josh

No E, I'd rather see what wise ass comment you will come up with.
And as usual, you do not disappoint!

As usual, you also prove my point. You'd rather piss and moan about something than try and fix it.

I know... let management fix it, right?...

1) not all handicap tags are for visible or obvious disabilities

2) if you know someone is regularly abusing the tags, call them out on it face to face, or have a shop steward do it. Abusing the terminal tags risks having them revoked for everyone.

3) call DPS. Illegal use of a tag can result a bigger fine/revenue than a ticket for just parking there without the tag at all. I suspect DPS @ the airport would love to catch them in the act, which is easy to do with shift workers... I'm sure admin would also rather see someone else get a terminal tag...

I know... You'd rather piss & moan about someone vs. actually reporting it & rat them out.
I'm not pissing & moaning about anything, just telling things as I see them. It happens all over the place, not isolated to the airports. Do we want to start a list of all the special services that are abused in our society?

Latest posts