DFW TSA and AA employee in trouble

Bob you don't get it. Plenty of other workers park or devote several hours each day to reach their place of employment, especially in the Greater New York area. In different areas expectations on parking are different based on land and accessibility of public transportation. If I worked in a suburban office the expectation would be to provide parking. Not for city center office workers where garage spaces command $400/month+. Why should AA allow you to clock-in when you park your vehicle? You aren't being productive or performing your job duties so why do you expect to be paid for that time? Should other workers similarly demand their employers pay them from the minute they pull out of their garage at home and pay them until the moment they return? Just like purchasing/packing a lunch, laundry/dry cleaning, providing certain tools and supplies, expenses related to commuting should be the responsibility of the employee not the employer

Josh
Eating and laundry are expenses one would accrue in daily life regardless of employer or even BEING employed. Purchasing ones hand tools is a one time expense (barring loss or breakage) and the employee maintains ownership of the tools upon separation from the employer. The cost of commuting is the cost of one’s car payment, insurance, fuel, and maintenance or services used (public transportation). Everyone pays these things. Not everyone is expected to pay to park their car. That is an expense above and beyond normal expectation. It is both expensive and reoccurring.

You say it should be the responsibility of the employee. I say I have had enough of businesses shifting "the cost of doing business" to the employee.

Every station I worked at the company paid for the parking permit. I wonder if this is going to be a trend in the immediate future for the company to transfer their expenses to the employee. They seem to have done this already in other areas.

Again, I say I have had enough of businesses shifting "the cost of doing business" to the employee.

Define walking distance. :)
In the case of an Airport, I would say 10 min or less without having to walk alongside or cross any major highways. I have had the privilage of being able to walk into the terminal from the employee lot at one of my locations, and it was great. How nice it was to pull in to the lot 15min prior to your shift without have to deal with a bus, or any worries of being late due to it.

josh just fyi airlines are a 24 hr business and when employees shifts start at say 3am 4am usually the only way to get to work is by car and parking in the employee lot but i must ask you this why should employees have to pay to park which boils down to why should the employees pay to work.. when the company should provide ample free parking so that the employees can get to work..... its not like banks where you can either walk or park in front of the bldg for most airports they have employee parking often with shuttle buses.... and most airports you cannot walk to bec of highways... do you pay to park when you do drive to work?

Again, who pays for your business airline travel?

Depending on the trip either my firm or the applicable client pay for travel expenses, subject to our guidelines. But I am not paid, nor do I expect my employer to pay the costs associated with getting me to my primary place of employment. If however they send me out of town, then absolutely the firm/client should cover those expenses.

josh just fyi airlines are a 24 hr business and when employees shifts start at say 3am 4am usually the only way to get to work is by car and parking in the employee lot but i must ask you this why should employees have to pay to park which boils down to why should the employees pay to work.. when the company should provide ample free parking so that the employees can get to work..... its not like banks where you can either walk or park in front of the bldg for most airports they have employee parking often with shuttle buses.... and most airports you cannot walk to bec of highways... do you pay to park when you do drive to work?

Robbed-I understand what you are saying. Correct airports are generally in remote locations, public transit options are limited/unpractical, hours are nontraditional, I get all that. But yes the days I do drive in I do pay a daily rate for parking.

Also, surprised and disappointed no one made any mention of 9/11 today, and the airline crews, passengers on AA 11, AA 77, UA 93, UA 175, and other victims on that horrid day.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
Depending on the trip either my firm or the applicable client pay for travel expenses, subject to our guidelines. But I am not paid, nor do I expect my employer to pay the costs associated with getting me to my primary place of employment. If however they send me out of town, then absolutely the firm/client should cover those expenses.

Robbed-I understand what you are saying. Correct airports are generally in remote locations, public transit options are limited/unpractical, hours are nontraditional, I get all that. But yes the days I do drive in I do pay a daily rate for parking.

Also, surprised and disappointed no one made any mention of 9/11 today, and the airline crews, passengers on AA 11, AA 77, UA 93, UA 175, and other victims on that horrid day.

Josh

http://www.airlineforums.com/topic/56138-911/
Look in the Water Cooler.
B) xUT

Josh,

you keep bringing up that you don't expect to be paid to get to work... that is NOT the issue. NO airline employees is asking for the company to pay them to get to work.

The discussion is about where to park when you ARRIVE at work. Airlines and the TSA in this case provide parking but it is in a remote part of the airport. THAT is where they say you have to park unless you arrive by some other method. In many cases there isn't even an option to park close to the terminal, or perhaps in this situation that was part of the original discussion, a reduced rate parking option for employees might have been available at a charge. However, many airports do not have an employee parking option available other than in the employee lot unless the employee wants to pay the regular public rates.

Even if you paid for parking in a private lot near your office building, that is not the same as what airport employees have to do. Someone can say otherwise, but I don't think there are many, if any airports that have monthly paid parking options for employees similar to what you would be able to buy in a downtown parking garage.

BTW, I fully expect there were many families of 9/11 victims that had to retrieve their loved one's cars from airport employee parking lots.

So much interest and discussion on such a trivial topic.

I had the day off work, but yes I do occasionally post on here while at work. Do you ever take phone calls, converse with your colleagues, or perform non-work tasks online while at work? I am an overtime exempt salaried employee, frequently work more than 50 hours each week, work from home on weekends and answer emails while away from work so yes it is okay for me to post during business hours.

Bob you don't get it. Plenty of other workers park or devote several hours each day to reach their place of employment, especially in the Greater New York area. In different areas expectations on parking are different based on land and accessibility of public transportation. If I worked in a suburban office the expectation would be to provide parking. Not for city center office workers where garage spaces command $400/month+. Why should AA allow you to clock-in when you park your vehicle? You aren't being productive or performing your job duties so why do you expect to be paid for that time? Should other workers similarly demand their employers pay them from the minute they pull out of their garage at home and pay them until the moment they return? Just like purchasing/packing a lunch, laundry/dry cleaning, providing certain tools and supplies, expenses related to commuting should be the responsibility of the employee not the employer

Josh
You don't get it, obviously because you cant read well or have to make things up in order to make an argument. Where did I say we should get paid for our commute from our Home? I didn't, you simply said I did so you could try and avoid what I did say. I said we should get paid from when we get to work but have to travel to our work area, but the whole time we are on company property. Do you do business travel on your own time? Why should your travel be considered paid time but not ours? We put in as much as 5 additional hours per week, in addition to our commute from our homes to the parking lot, for the secondary commute on company property. If you work in the city you have several options to get to work, walk, mass transit, Cab, or drive and compensation in the city is generally much higher than the suburbs. Most people in the city use mass transit, that is the norm, most people who work at the airport drive, in fact in most airports there aren't even sidewalks nor are you permitted to walk onto the airport. If you work in the city you also have the option to park on the street, if you can find a spot, you don't have to pay $400/month.

Reactions: 2 people
In order to cut thru the chase here, I think that we can all agree that most places of employment have parking on their property right next to the building. Certainly places within a downtown city area don't always fall into that category, but they do have public transportation available as an option. Airports are a different animal due to their layouts and space limitations. At one of my former locations, we had a standing joke about how far the parking lot was from the terminal. We relocated 3 times while I was there, and each time the lot was further away than the last.

You don't get it, obviously because you cant read well or have to make things up in order to make an argument. Where did I say we should get paid for our commute from our Home? I didn't, you simply said I did so you could try and avoid what I did say. I said we should get paid from when we get to work but have to travel to our work area, but the whole time we are on company property. Do you do business travel on your own time? Why should your travel be considered paid time but not ours? We put in as much as 5 additional hours per week, in addition to our commute from our homes to the parking lot, for the secondary commute on company property. If you work in the city you have several options to get to work, walk, mass transit, Cab, or drive and compensation in the city is generally much higher than the suburbs. Most people in the city use mass transit, that is the norm, most people who work at the airport drive, in fact in most airports there aren't even sidewalks nor are you permitted to walk onto the airport. If you work in the city you also have the option to park on the street, if you can find a spot, you don't have to pay $400/month.

So fine, AA provides you remote parking I get that. But why should you be able to clock-in while you ride the shuttle from the remote lot to the terminal/hangar/ramp/etc?

As for street parking the meters are a two hour limit, and parking control now electronically tags license plates so even if you move your car and park on the same block you are still subject to ticketing.

Josh

So fine, AA provides you remote parking I get that. But why should you be able to clock-in while you ride the shuttle from the remote lot to the terminal/hangar/ramp/etc?

As for street parking the meters are a two hour limit, and parking control now electronically tags license plates so even if you move your car and park on the same block you are still subject to ticketing.

Josh
Because I am considered to be on company property. Even though I'm on my own time I'm considered to be at work and must comply with the same rules as if I was badged in at the terminal.

Latest posts