Disabling Organized Labor

How about vote for someone from a third party and forget the big boys?

One interesting tid bit on the obvious lack of vision of today''s unions is a local example. Wal Mart is just now starting to enter the Toledo, OH market with their first store on the east side. Typical picketing at their grand opening - nothing new there...then things died down for a month, til now. The UFCW is running 60 second spots on every radio station about 5 times per day letting listeners know just how mean and ugly Wal Mart is. That''s nice...the ads won''t keep me from going to Wal Mart when it is required to save a buck or two, and i''m sure my view isn''t in the minority. The whole thing looks backwards when you look at what this union is doing locally. Due to excessively high costs from labor, a major local food chain shuttered 13 of its stores and is looking at getting rid of another 23 stores soon. That is 600 UFCW represented employees unemployed. They are now pounding their chests and leading their members to strike all local Kroger stores, on the grounds that their baggers and check out clerks aren''t paid enough.

Self destruction is hard to watch regardless of who it is...but this is just beyond me. They are sitting here spending somewhere around $3000-4000 a day on radio ads against Wal Mart...yet they are letting their represented members take it in the chest for them.

The years of the old organized labor push are over...it is time to adapt to a new world.

I avoid Wal-mart at all costs. I firmly believe that they are the reason for the decline in the American standard of living. There business practices are deceitful and underhanded both to vendors and customers. They are the largest employer in the US and yet employees can not make a liveable wage. Thus, the old "I owe my soul to the company store" mentality. Family owned businesses that have taken generations to build are ruined and replaced with sub-standard wages. No service sweatshop, boycott Wal-Mart.

----------------
On 4/21/2003 11:24:27 AM dfw79 wrote:

How about vote for someone from a third party and forget the big boys?

One interesting tid bit on the obvious lack of vision of today's unions is a local example. Wal Mart is just now starting to enter the Toledo, OH market with their first store on the east side. Typical picketing at their grand opening - nothing new there...then things died down for a month, til now. The UFCW is running 60 second spots on every radio station about 5 times per day letting listeners know just how mean and ugly Wal Mart is. That's nice...the ads won't keep me from going to Wal Mart when it is required to save a buck or two, and i'm sure my view isn't in the minority. The whole thing looks backwards when you look at what this union is doing locally. Due to excessively high costs from labor, a major local food chain shuttered 13 of its stores and is looking at getting rid of another 23 stores soon. That is 600 UFCW represented employees unemployed. They are now pounding their chests and leading their members to strike all local Kroger stores, on the grounds that their baggers and check out clerks aren't paid enough.

Self destruction is hard to watch regardless of who it is...but this is just beyond me. They are sitting here spending somewhere around $3000-4000 a day on radio ads against Wal Mart...yet they are letting their represented members take it in the chest for them.

The years of the old organized labor push are over...it is time to adapt to a new world.

----------------​
dw,

I don't think you quite understand what unions are about by your sentiment above.

Unionized employees organize because of bad mangement, not because of great management. Folks who do not have a voice in the workplace with regard to the work environment, wages and benefits that effect them and their families, must be addressed and spoken...LOUD.

You may not like this, because you may have to pay a few more dollars for goods and services...but you get what you pay for. Rest assured...prices will still be up there, because Corporate execs will insist on their exhorbinant bonuses, and perks and salaries. They just don't want to share any profits with the rest of the company employees. They want you to be silent and not complain.

What you don't focus on is matters that are not obvious to folks who share your sentiments. Matters you have not considered or don't have alot of obvious relevance to you is for exmaple, employees who make a livable wage... the crime rate goes down, mental illness decreases due to less work-related stress, children are closer to their families, and society has less delinquentcies. And the overall employee physical and mental well-being of feeling satisfied with their job and company, which boosts morale. Those are the realities, my friend.

Nothing wrong with creating balance in the work place. Recognizing employees for dedication and efforts in a company with financial rewards. All we ask for as unionized workers is a livable wage so that we can support ourselves, families, and educate our kids without burdening the taxpayers to live.

Are you going to sit here and say that Corporate Execs are NOT greedy? Change happens in Amgerica because of PROTEST. Example: AA...those execs would have kept their pension protections and bonuses if it was not for PROTEST!

This is not the new world thinking or old world...it is THE thinking that has precipated change from the beginning of time...to present....to future. Why? Because human beings will always show in actions their discontent. Those who are weak, will gravitate to the strong and ride the wave.

Maybe not today....but its coming....PROMISE.

PITbull,
Don''t waste your time with DFW.He is a labor bashing troll who thinks those of us who work outside of the corporate offices should shut up and take whatever our fearless leaders decide to give us. He''s the type of guy who if Dave Seigel stood on his head and blew chocolate milk out of his nose,would step back in awe and proclaim him a genius.

----------------
On 4/21/2003 12:58:21 PM a320av8r wrote:
I avoid Wal-mart at all costs. I firmly believe that they are the reason for the decline in the American standard of living. There business practices are deceitful and underhanded both to vendors and customers. They are the largest employer in the US and yet employees can not make a liveable wage. Thus, the old "I owe my soul to the company store" mentality. Family owned businesses that have taken generations to build are ruined and replaced with sub-standard wages. No service sweatshop, boycott Wal-Mart.
----------------​
I avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, but not for their perceived business dealings. I just can''t stand the place.

However, how differently are WalMart employees treated compared to those working in Big-K, Sears, Target, etc.??? I worked retail once. And, for the record, Wal-Mart employees can make out well with profit sharing and other long-term incentive benefits. In addition, store managers often earn well above $100K annually.

The issue with destroying the smalltowns of America is true, to a degree. This is Darwin''s theory of evolution transferred to the business model. If WalMart can get the lot of 50 shovels for $5.99 each, then so should the mom and pop store. When should government step in and say "okay, you''re too big. you can''t grow anymore"? Then what happens to innovation and growth? What happens when even more people start getting laid off because the "big" company can''t grow anymore and now must downsize to maintain it''s profit margins and stay in business?? Sustainable growth is the key to any business, and if we tell someone to stop growing, they usually suffer.

PHL,

Bigger is not always better.

I am going to try to bring this thread back to airlines.

For instance, Southwest is not in a hurry to grow their franchise. They grow when it is condusive. That is why they are so successful.

The minute corporations have an expansion thought, comes much risk on cost containment.