Discrimination lawsuit filed against UsAir

Like this "guy" who flies US?

628x471.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
What these buddy pass riders obviously don't understand is that the company does not have dress restrictions on paying customers (except for what might be unsafe or in violation of obscenity laws, which is another matter altogether.) We've all seen the pics of that gentleman who rides Envoy a lot (he's a FF) and cross-dresses in skimpy female outfits. He does it all the time, and US Airways won't tell him "NO," because THAT would be discriminatory in the operation of a public convenience.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/us-airways-lets-man-fly-wearing-womens-underwear/story-e6frfq80-1226080427493

The company has every right to put restrictions on how its employees and guests dress when at or on the airline. I'm sure it has been challenged in court decades ago, and is settled.

What these buddy pass riders obviously don't understand is that the company does not have dress restrictions on paying customers (except for what might be unsafe or in violation of obscenity laws, which is another matter altogether.) We've all seen the pics of that gentleman who rides Envoy a lot (he's a FF) and cross-dresses in skimpy female outfits. He does it all the time, and US Airways won't tell him "NO," because THAT would be discriminatory in the operation of a public convenience.

I've assumed that US won't tell him to dress properly because they like his revenue - a business decision. I haven't read the US conditions of carriage but AA's conditions of carriage contain the following:

ACCEPTANCE OF PASSENGERS

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:

6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you

a. Appear to be intoxicated or under the influence of drugs,

b. Attempt to interfere with any member of the flight crew,

c. Have a communicable disease that has been determined by a federal public health authority to be transmissible to other persons in the normal course of flight,

d. Refuse to obey instructions from any flight crew member,

e. Have an offensive odor not caused by a disability or illness,

f. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers,

g. are barefoot, or

h. Engage in any action, voluntary or involuntary, that might jeopardize the safety of the aircraft or any of its occupants.

I've gotta think that his clothing could be argued to "cause discomfort or offense to other passengers" and thus he could be ordered to put on some clothes. Would US tolerate female passengers dressed only in lingere? The airline's beef with him wouldn't be his lingere, but that he refuses to wear appropriate outer layers over his lingere.

The airline's beef with him wouldn't be his lingere, but that he refuses to wear appropriate outer layers over his lingere.

I understand he will cover up on request. But, as others have noted, our cross dressing friend pays for revenue tickets (and is CHPR to boot). Messrs Warren were using buddy passes. (Around $40 plus tax, I guess) If they wanted to wear hoodies or other athletic wear, they could used the buddy passes in coach or purchased F/C revenue tickets.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out for all concerned.

Wonder what will happen to the lawyer. He filed a court document which intentially omitted a critical fact and misrepresented the passes as tickets. The more I think about this though I want the company to settle it. If this goes to court and the company loses the court may impose changes to policy so onerous that the company just decideds to elimiate the affected benefits.

Didn't see anything about buddy passes in the lawsuit....or did I miss it?

You're right. If this is not the most poorly written complaint that I have read in recent times, then what is? There is no mention on what type of tickets the plaintiffs were on. If they would have had regular first class tickets, I highly doubt that any questions would have been asked about the way they were dressed. A good complaint would outright mention facts that cement the basis of the lawsuit. Was it an F, P, A or other class of ticket, such as Y, B, etc. that can be upgraded easily? Was a regular upgrade request/certificate involved? What fare basis were the other people traveling as? Where they on a employee discount ticket? The only way that I could see there any merit to a complaint like this is if the other people (the ones named as witnesses) were on the exact type of ticket, which of course there is no mention of it. Also, the notion that a first class seat is somehow guaranteed and a right, if in fact it was an industry ticket, is so completely whacked that it is incomprehensible that a lawyer would even contemplate there being a case. US Airways requires upgrade certificates for non-rev upgrades to another cabin.

I don't get it how something written like that can make it to the clerks office for filing.

I do have a little bit of a feeling of Schadenfreude against US Airways, as there IS actually rampant discrimination at this company - not necessarily racial discrimination, but other types of discrimination as well as retaliation and corruption.

I am glad that it happened to them. The bad publicity is well deserved.

Reactions: 2 people
I am glad that it happened to them. The bad publicity is well deserved.

Are you kidding me - so you are happy a frivilous lawsuit was filed. You acquisiation that disrimination is rampant as US - would mean it would have EEOC and other complaints against it as the day is long. Your statement indicates that you just hate US and hope pain and suffering on the airline.

If you work here - quit and go work for a better company. The grass for you must be greener someplace else.

Every company has issues and no person, no company is perfect. It just amazes me how vindictive people are these days.

Reactions: 6 people
This is what's known as a frivolous lawsuit , when you settle out of court you only invite more .

Even a fool should be able to win this case for the company .

This lawsuit will be thrown out. They were Buddy Pass riders. The lowest on the food chain. It doesn't matter if the were seated in First Class. They weren't full fare customers, so they can't dress the way they wanted, like the other people in the photos. As long as you pay the First Class fare in full, you can dress any way you pretty much want within reason. I've seen people look like bums going into First Class, and women that look nearly like strippers board. But you as a pass rider can't. Cause they didn't pay the full fare. This reminds me of that woman a couple of years ago who wore some "Daisy Duke" shorts and one of the FA's (I think it was WN) told her to cover herself up. She then took it to the media. IIRC, I think the case was thrown out. (sidebar: she was a very attractive young lady though, and wore them well!) Most airlines recently relaxed the dress code for us employees, instead of wearing a suit or a tie. Everybody knew we were employees, because we dressed so sharp. So now we can dress "business casual". But in first class, we would still have to dress business like.

I know one thing, the employee that gave them the passes will be fired. You can bet on that.

Reactions: 2 people