District Lodge 141-m, Disbands

colorado_cowboy

Advanced
Dec 20, 2003
Since 9-11, the Transportation industry has been devastated with furloughs and airline bankruptcies. District Lodge 141-M has been reduced from 22,000 dues-paying members to approximately 6,500. United Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines are currently in bankruptcy, and US Airways has recently emerged from Chapter 11. United Mechanic and Related employees chose a new direction for their future.

Story

So much for having a say in your own union. I believe the rampers will now carry the vote due to the current head count of the respective workgroups. And does this mean that all elections will encompass the entire lodge membership?? As I said.......so much for your representation. :down:

E-TRONS said:
So much for having a say in your own union. I believe the rampers will now carry the vote due to the current head count of the respective workgroups. And does this mean that all elections will encompass the entire lodge membership?? As I said.......so much for your representation. :down:
Hmmmm ,

Maybe the door for AMFA just swung wide open again?

142, does not include US ramp, it is Comair mechanic and related, Southwest Ticket and Reservations, CO, F/As and the foriegn flag carriers.

Airlines

Continental Airlines
Continental Express
Continental Micronesia
Southwest
British Airways
Air Midwest
American Trans Air
Comair
Midway Airlines
Alitalia
Aer Lingus
ALM Antillean
Bahamasair
BWIA
El Al Israel Airlines
Liat
Lufthansa
Varig Brazilian Airlines

Fixed Base Operators

Allied Aviation Services
Airport Group International
Aircraft Service International
Atlantic Aviation
Avis
British Airways Tours
FlyTel
Gate Gourmet
Host Marriott
Midway Instrument
Phelps Program Management
Raytheon Aerospace/
Support Services
Signature Flight Support
Swissport

And the ramp has nothing to do with our contracts.

usfliboi said:
any one affected id say save your dues they cant help you rt now....
What are you talking about? You make no sense.

There is no change in the level or who is representing US Airways mechanic and related. DL141M was down to 5,000 members and the finances was not enough to maintain it as a stand alone district.

We are now becoming part of a 20,000 member district who is adapting good things from DL141M, Flight Safety, Ground Safety and EAP are coming to 142, which does not have these things.

But once again, why would someone who is not even an IAM member know what is going on. Don't even know if this person is a union member at all.

And figues, he comments on things he knows nothing about, and why the obsession with the IAM, you have enough problems to deal with in regard to the AFA, that is if you are who you say you are, and you have been proven not to be honest before.

http://www.iamdl142.org/index.htm

To All District 141-M Members employed by US Airways, Piedmont Airlines, PSA, Air Wisconsin, Air BP, Signature Flight Support and Allied Aviation:

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

On behalf of our Executive Board and 19,000 members, I welcome you into the District 142 family. Although I wish the disbanding of District 141-M were not necessary, the membership will be well served as part of a strong District anchored by members from stable airlines such as Southwest and Continental.

The staffs of both Districts will be working over the coming months to ensure a smooth transition of District 141-M members into District 142. The transition process will begin immediately, and will be completed on or about May 31, 2004. Visible changes will not be dramatic. Grievances and arbitrations will still be processed, and local grievance committees will remain intact.

Current District 141-M General Chairmen will continue in their positions, supported by District 142 General Chairs at some locations. With the combined resources of both Districts, our goal is to provide enhanced representation to the membership.

We look forward to the experience and expertise that the consolidation of our various committees will provide the entire District 142 membership.

District 142 publishes a quarterly newsletter that is mailed to each member’s home, and an Internet web site, www.iamDL142.org, to communicate with our members. I encourage you to visit our web site to learn more about your new District. Additionally, you can sign up for regular email updates through our website.

The District 141-M membership has been through some difficult times, especially at US Airways and its wholly owned subsidiaries. However, District 142 has experienced similar conditions at TWA, and is better prepared to deal with an airline in crisis than anyone in the air transport industry.

It is natural to have questions. Please forward any questions you have regarding the transition to Representatives from either District 141-M or District 142 and we will respond to them as promptly as possible.

Once again, welcome.

Sincerely and fraternally,

Tom Higginbotham
Acting President/Directing General Chairman
District 142

any one affected id say save your dues they cant help you rt now....
Fliboi all D-141/M is doing is consolidating with another District, if anything the members of D-141/M now have more financial backing than ever before. Ever hear of the term "Strength in Numbers"? Check out 700's post about the airlines that D-142 represents.
Once again your commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about.

D-141/M is consolidating with another District. Hmm. Sorta like outsourcing...

Interesting development.

openview said:
D-141/M is consolidating with another District. Hmm. Sorta like outsourcing...

Interesting development.
Outsourcing? What are you talking about?

DL142 is IAM all ready, and the AGCs are moving into 142 from 141M, you could not be more far from the truth, no go back to your union bashing some where else.

all D-141/M is doing is consolidating with another District, if anything the members of D-141/M now have more financial backing than ever before. Ever hear of the term "Strength in Numbers"

Actually, no its not strength in numbers. Its diluting your position and dues even more among the many other interests, grievances and concerns of the other unions. Amazing how unions are a business themselves and have to struggle with the same budgetary, productivity and inefficiant ways as a company. Maybe the union needs unionization. Can I get a "full dues till the last day" pledge.

openview said:
Actually, no its not strength in numbers. Its diluting your position and dues even more among the many other interests, grievances and concerns of the other unions. Amazing how unions are a business themselves and have to struggle with the same budgetary, productivity and inefficiant ways as a company. Maybe the union needs unionization. Can I get a "full dues till the last day" pledge.
Apparently you do not know the IAM structure, 141M was down to over 5,000 members not enough money to support its operation, District Lodge 142 IS ANOTHER IAM AIR TRANSPORT District, there is no other union, and it increase the finances and offers more services to the membership.

So your thinking does not apply, and it is not full pay to the last day, it is reduced pay to the last day since the employees have given back over $1 billion a year in concessions that dave squandered.

Apparently you do not know the IAM structure, 141M was down to over 5,000 members not enough money to support its operation, District Lodge 142 IS ANOTHER IAM AIR TRANSPORT District, there is no other union, and it increase the finances and offers more services to the membership.

I was speaking of unions in general as business. Equate 5000 members not being enough to support its IAM operation to competition and the internet driving down the previous $5000 r/t fares UAir used to recieve to the $600 fares they now compete fiercly for to exceed expenses. And equate union district consolidations to increase finances with a merger, outsourcing or office elimination whatever word you choose, to meet expenses. Equal concessions with finding a way to operate without exceeding expenses.

Setting aside the the other salient points in this thread, I'd like to note that one of the basic problems unions face these days is that they think of themselves too much as businesses and not enough as social movements. We're more in need of a movement these days.

In solidarity,
Airlineorphan

Latest posts