DL adding 10 longrange 757 to fleet

deltaflyboy

Oct 19, 2002
PBI
www.usaviation.com
http://www.ajc.com/business/content/busine...zdeltajets.html

In its first addition of big jets since 9/11, Delta Air Lines plans to lease 10 extended-range planes that could fly to Hawaii or some spots in Europe.

Delta said Thursday it signed a letter of intent with International Lease Finance Corp. to lease the ten used Boeing 757s for more than seven years starting in 2007, the carrier said in a court filing. Deliveries would begin next July.

While the press says Europe we have been hearing that the ETOP 757's will be used to fly west coast to hawaii to free up those 767's for more international flights...

reports are that the aircraft will get BusinessElite cabins. Those are not needed to fly to Hawaii.

These will likely be used for JFK-N. Europe and ATL-UK (except London) and Ireland, freeing up additional 767s for other long range routes.

...would be nice to see JFK-LIS/BCN. That's exactly the right aircraft for that.

Might even see something like Lyon come back.

DL has been flying JFK-BCN for years. I'd say the chances of these birds flying JFK-Ireland, Scotland, and England are pretty high. Maybe some northern continental Europe from JFK and some ATL-Ireland/northern UK.

Acquiring these a/c will make DL the world's largest 757 and 767 operator.

...and it's pretty much a dog. Very seasonal. The 757, especially in the winter, would make it a much better performer. Lisbon would be a year round option given limited demand. STN might be a worthwhile consideration as well...

Why Delta doesn't go JFK-STN is beyond me. They need New York to London. If Maxjet can make it work then Delta can too. They could certainly do a 767-400 daily or two.

Are these 10 former TWA 757-231s that AA is turning back to the lessor?

If so they are all ETOPS capable (they were from the factory...AA may have let the rating slip) with PW2037 engines. TWA used to fly 4 of the 27 birds they had JFK-BCN; JFK-LIS; HNL-STL(one stop the other way). All 27 were built from 1997-2001.

Are these 10 former TWA 757-231s that AA is turning back to the lessor?

If so they are all ETOPS capable (they were from the factory...AA may have let the rating slip) with PW2037 engines. TWA used to fly 4 of the 27 birds they had JFK-BCN; JFK-LIS; HNL-STL(one stop the other way). All 27 were built from 1997-2001.

Delta are starting GLA in 2007. Just need to wait and see if its JFK or ATL....

Odd Delta could make a large financial commitment while in BK. This doesn't have to be approved by the BK judge? Or has Delta already exited BK?

Odd Delta could make a large financial commitment while in BK. This doesn't have to be approved by the BK judge? Or has Delta already exited BK?

The contract will be approved by the judge. Basically, these replace the capacity of the old 762s that DL has sold to ABX.

These are leased aircraft so they are "easier" on the balance sheet than owned aircraft. The court will approve the transaction unless the creditors don't want it approved - and so far DL has had a good relationship w/ its creditors and has given them the positive numbers they want to see.

DL has flown to Ireland for well over a dozen years - longer than any other US airline - and it has consistently been operated year round. They know what Ireland is capable of doing.

I agree that Lisbon could make a good destination but DL has said in the past that LIS has more than enough air service for a city of its size - but that was before Portugalia Airlines said it would be applying to join Skyteam and before DL said they were interested in the 757.

As for London, no one knows financially whether Eos or MaxJet are profitable but both are discounting heavily in order to fill their jets even to load factors that are well below what other carriers are recording this summer over the Atlantic. DL does have to deal with its lack of Northeast-London service but I doubt if STN will be part of the solution. It is still possible the US and EU will be able to come up with an agreement that will open LHR. Even if that doesn't happen, there are varying opinions of whether DL could start service to LGW. I'm not sure but I am certain that DL will solve trhe problem one way or another soon. And the charges against BA of collusion only helps DL's cause in getting into the NE-London market.

NE to LHR is a huge market. JFK, EWR, BOS, PHL, & IAD all have huge daily opertaions to LHR. The NE also has huge service to Europe, more then any other region of the country.

Delta already operates to most Latin cities worth flying to. Anything north of Lima is served by 757 or 738. Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires and Santiago are 763 with BIZ Elite. I don't see these "new" 757's providing much new service in this region. Service from JFK to Scotland, Ireland, Manchester, Spain, Portugal or Scandanavia would seem a better use. Right now 764's are flying from JFK to Shannon and Manchester, these planes seem too big for these routes. Hawaii from the west coast could be a fine use for less demand flights.

Latest posts