DL drops Monrovia (ROB) service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldTraveler said:
and you won't admit that geographic proximity DOES provide the ability to have a level of cooperation that distance and even airplane trips can't quite match.

What exactly is this level of co-operation between CDC and DL?

Kev3188 said:
I guess a large network is nice, but in cases like this, not worth it (and that's even before taking Ebola into account)...

My opinion would be "NFW," but I'm not an F/A...

I think I would too...
outside of JNB, DL's African flights have never been popular with crews for security and endemic health reasons and DL crews aren't any more or less inclined to feel that way than those from other countries.

The European carriers have long had extensive service to Europe and DL's presence in Africa came both as a result of seeing how much traffic flows over Europe that DL could carry nonstop as well as some latent knowledge of what Pan Am carried.

DL is a business and there are protections that can and must be provided for employees working in those areas of the world as there are for maintenance employees working around toxic chemicals and potentially dangerous equipment.

Africa is still a region of the world where modernization has come very slowly. Even before the Ebola crisis became full blown in the news, the announcements from government officials in Monrovia as to how much they wanted to do to keep DL there highlighted the importance of air service to the US.

The US aid workers who were infected are coming to Atlanta via private jet.

Prayers should be for their recovery but even more so the people who they dedicated their lives to serving and for the speedy return of air service to a country and continent where there are enormous dreams for joining the rest of the world in pursuing better and healthier lives.

DL's commitment to being a part of transforming the region started when the DL 767-300ER painted in the Habitat for Humanity (headquarted in Atlanta along with other major NGOs) took off on DL's inaugural flight to Africa.

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:
What exactly is this level of co-operation between CDC and DL?
capture__200018.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
any idiot knows that a couple of morons whose chief aim in life is to discredit someone and to note the stupidity of AMFA's failed strategy that sent 5000 highly paid mechanics to the employment lines will never admit that DL and the CDC do in fact enjoy a solid working relationship.

such truth is not unlike the fact that water is, well, wet.

anyone who has access to Delta's internal systems would know that DL and the CDC do in fact have a strong working relationship.

Forgive me for realizing I am dealing with DL outsiders who don't have that access and don't have the associated institutional knowledge.

WorldTraveler said:
any idiot knows that a couple of morons whose chief aim in life is to discredit someone and to note the stupidity of AMFA's failed strategy that sent 5000 highly paid mechanics to the employment lines will never admit that DL and the CDC do in fact enjoy a solid working relationship.

Aside from CDC staff buying DL tickets, please explain / elaborate on the "solid working relationship" between DL and the CDC?

As I asked before, I'll ask you again:  what is the special level of co-operation between CDC and DL?

It seems to me that once again you've got caught making things up.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm curious to know how the CDC is doing anything with DL that they're not doing with every other airline flying. Seems that a governmental agency has an obligation to treat and share information with the public on an equal basis.

But, I'll give WT the benefit of the doubt in being able to prove that DL and CDC work closer together than the CDC does with anyone else in the airline industry...

Reactions: 4 people
DL and the government do negotiate GSA City Pair pricing...along with every other airline.

Oh, they also fly to the CDC airport. Does that count?

http://www.cedarcity.org/76/Airport

Wait, I found another one:

Domestic Violence Prevention Enhancement and Leadership Through Alliances (DELTA)

http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/DELTA/

"In 2010, the Family Violence Prevention and Services Act was reauthorized. The community demonstration projects were officially replaced with the DELTA name. The reauthorization continues to direct CDC to fund state domestic violence coalitions for the purpose of funding and supporting local efforts to prevent intimate partner violence."

And there is this:

"WASHINGTON: Although privacy experts worry about the government gathering personal information on airline travelers, Delta Airlines (DAL) is handing over electronic lists of passengers from some flights to help stop the spread of deadly infectious diseases.

The lists will allow health officials to notify more quickly those travelers who might have been exposed to illnesses such as dengue fever, flu, plague, SARS (search) and biological agents, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (search) told a congressional panel on Wednesday.

"The government is seeing that massive amounts of data can be useful for any number of purposes," said Marcia Hofmann, an attorney for the Electronic Privacy Information Center (search). "There need to be some regulations or restrictions on how airlines can share passenger information like this."

Passenger lists already are sent electronically to the Customs Bureau (search), which checks to see if any potential terrorists are aboard flights bound for the United States. The CDC wants access to the same lists, but only for flights coming from places with an outbreak of an infectious disease or for those that carried a passenger later found to be infected."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/04/07/delta-handing-over-passenger-lists-to-cdc/

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
Forgive me for realizing I am dealing with DL outsiders who don't have that access and don't have the associated institutional knowledge.
Hey Kev, how's that make ya feel?????

LD3 said:
Hey Kev, how's that make ya feel?????
I'm sure Kev is not an insider at all when to comes to delicate internal Delta stealth programs.

Only someone who was paid to retire early would be privy to the secret CDC/Delta partnership program.

Reactions: 6 people
Nor did the American Dr flown to GA fly on Delta, the nerve of the CDC not using DL, he flew on a Gulfstream.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/american-patient-ebola-en-route-us/story?id=24818577
you did read the post earlier in this thread about joking about flying infected passengers home on DL?

He was put on a private jet for a reason.

I don't think Kev has argued that DL and the CDC don't work together. That charge has come from non-DL employees.

Kev can find that DL has partnerships with a CDC facility in one of the two big Midwest hubs - so it isn't just an ATL thing. It is a DL thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts