DL/LCC Swap Slots At LGA/DCA

operating

Who makes them available?
FAA
Airport Operator
PANYNJ
As boeingboy pointed out if the slots aren’t service that the airline forfeits them back to the FAA/PANYNJ USAirway and there operators have to kept a certain completion factor into/out of LGA are that could forfeit the slots to ______________????????????????

Who makes them available?
FAA
Airport Operator
PANYNJ
As boeingboy pointed out if the slots aren’t service that the airline forfeits them back to the FAA/PANYNJ USAirway and there operator have to kept a certain completion factor into/out of LGA are that could forfeit the slots to ______________????????????????
operating the slots only after it has been approved to do so..

doesnt really = owner

Airlines pay fees for slots and utilize slots but if someone else has the final word well...

they dont own it entirely.

(they cannot do whatever they want with them and claim)

I, Airline own this slot.
I, Airline will transfer this slot to whoever I want.

(if an Airline has to get a slot approved, they do not necessarily own it)

is sort of how I look at it.

john john,

Sounds like you want a nice simple black and white answer, but there isn't one. Can you legally sell something you don't own? Sometimes yes and sometimes no. You can't legally sell your neighbor's car while he's at work because you don't own it. On the other hand you can sell your car or house even though the bank may hold the title - do you own it or does the bank? If you don't make your car/house payments, the bank can take it - does that mean that they really owned it all along?

Slots are pretty much the same - they belong to the airline as far as buying/trading them goes but they can be taken by the FAA at any time. Note that slots are takeoff and landing slots - the FAA controls takeoffs and landings so controls the slots. Of course, the slots aren't any good if there's no place to park at the airport - something the airport authority controls.

All three entities are intertwined - the FAA, the airport authority, and the airline. It doesn't really matter who owns what. What matters is who controls what and for what purpose. If the slots are the property of the FAA, it doesn't matter if the issue is that airline A has extra slots that airline B wants - airline A can sell them to airline B. If the slots are the property of the airlines, it doesn't matter if the issue is too much traffic for the airport to handle - the FAA can take slots to reduce congestion.

Jim