DL Merger/Buyout a hoax?

FL430

Veteran
Jan 28, 2007
I have read a lot of speculation about the proposed Delta buyout but have not seen any posts on the possibility that DP is doing this to make Delta have higher operating costs now and when out of bankruptcy. We all know DL wants to emerge as a stand alone carrier so wouldn't it seem that DL would have to offer the creditors commitee a higher return on its debts ( and in a lot of cases its future costs - GE, Boeing, aircraft leases, gate leases, fuel vendors, hotels, credit cards...etc ) to thwart the U S Airways offer? In this way it makes a major competitor have much higher costs and easier to compete with. Thoughts anyone?

I have read a lot of speculation about the proposed Delta buyout but have not seen any posts on the possibility that DP is doing this to make Delta have higher operating costs now and when out of bankruptcy. We all know DL wants to emerge as a stand alone carrier so wouldn't it seem that DL would have to offer the creditors commitee a higher return on its debts ( and in a lot of cases its future costs - GE, Boeing, aircraft leases, gate leases, fuel vendors, hotels, credit cards...etc ) to thwart the U S Airways offer? In this way it makes a major competitor have much higher costs and easier to compete with. Thoughts anyone?

If DP pulls off the Delta deal, he eliminates his biggest competition. If its turned down, he has still forced his biggest competitor to greatly increase their costs and can then buy Northwest or merge with UA. Both would be a better fleet mix and would create true global Airline. Parker is not the best operations guy, but he has a brillant airline mind.

Dusty

If DP pulls off the Delta deal, he eliminates his biggest competition. If its turned down, he has still forced his biggest competitor to greatly increase their costs and can then buy Northwest or merge with UA. Both would be a better fleet mix and would create true global Airline. Parker is not the best operations guy, but he has a brillant airline mind.

Dusty
:up: And like like that scenario.......and it keeps Delta THEIR Delta!

Haven't really considered that angle ( I figured he just wanted to put them in play to get parts of DAL ) but yeah, that's plausible, since the deal as presented really doesn't seem to make sense ( as an operating airline...not as a way to pick up some major coin for crafting a deal )

I guess I have a hard time considered all the time, people and money involved. They are talking about billions so if the creditors accepted the proposal and DP was not serious does he say "Sorry, just kidding"? Theres just so much more including lawyers and DOJ issues that I think they are quite serious. I really thought this was a done deal and the backroom handshakes had been completed. Not really sure what to think anymore so I'll just sit back, enjoy the ride and let all you "experts" take it from here! Mama

Back