DL/NW Merger ON Again

chucky

Senior
Sep 13, 2006
Delta's board members, who convened a meeting late last week to discuss the company's options, agreed to press ahead with negotiations, the people said. Those talks are now intensifying, with the two sides set to meet again this week, they said.

Delta/Northwest Revive Merger Talks

Delta's board members, who convened a meeting late last week to discuss the company's options, agreed to press ahead with negotiations, the people said. Those talks are now intensifying, with the two sides set to meet again this week, they said.

Nothing on ajc.com yet. Russell Grantham must be taking the day off.

Oh well, here we go again....let me see:

NHBB will flip. (even more) :rant:
NxNW will call out all the armies, this is war! hell to pay, etc.....(just playin' w/ ya North..I love your posts!) ;)
The mechanics will muse about the unions...and with that we'll have more 'scab' talk and the like. -_-
Luv2fly will, as many a DL pilot does, strut his stuff. <_<
And I will babble on...as many of you, I'm sure, have grown weary of! LOL :)

Oh well, here we go again....let me see:

NHBB will flip. (even more) :rant:
NxNW will call out all the armies, this is war! hell to pay, etc.....(just playin' w/ ya North..I love your posts!) ;)
The mechanics will muse about the unions...and with that we'll have more 'scab' talk and the like. -_-
And I will babble on...as many of you, I'm sure, have grown weary of! LOL :)

Too funny LAW!!

Maybe Delta will convince Northwest that they will support them flying a domestic company if Northwest agrees to part with the Pacific and do a pre-packaged bankruptcy thus being able to pay Steeland his ~$8mill to leave in June. Then after Northwest parts with the Pacific, Delta will pull the plug on the “newâ€￾ Northwest, ala PanAm II claiming that is just isn't the right time. Capacity in the industry comes way down, Delta keeps jobs for their employees and another long tradition goes into the History books.....Thank You Delta! But on the upside, now airfares can go up thus in the end, Delta truly does save more jobs than they think.

:up:

I just hope that AA's working on a bid - at least to make those NW pacific route authorities more expensive for DL to buy.

I wouldn't be surprised if AA tried to force DAL to bid up the price, however AA might not be in the position to do so...

"The network carriers, and most of the low-cost carriers, will survive the weak economic environment and high fuel prices over the next two years," Calyon analyst Ray Neidl said. "However, if high fuel prices and a lackluster economy persist through 2009, cash reserves at many airlines might become a concern."

At the top of the list is American Airlines, where cash reserves as a percentage of estimated revenue are expected to fall to 9.4% in 2009 from 13.3% this year. Close on its tail are Continental and United Airlines, with cash as a percent of estimated revenue declining 2.8 points and 1.4 points, respectively.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/netw...amp;dist=hpmymw

I wouldn't be surprised if AA tried to force DAL to bid up the price, however AA might not be in the position to do so...

"The network carriers, and most of the low-cost carriers, will survive the weak economic environment and high fuel prices over the next two years," Calyon analyst Ray Neidl said. "However, if high fuel prices and a lackluster economy persist through 2009, cash reserves at many airlines might become a concern."

At the top of the list is American Airlines, where cash reserves as a percentage of estimated revenue are expected to fall to 9.4% in 2009 from 13.3% this year. Close on its tail are Continental and United Airlines, with cash as a percent of estimated revenue declining 2.8 points and 1.4 points, respectively.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/netw...amp;dist=hpmymw

I think you are confused...Delta is NOT buying Northwest. IF...and that is a VERY big IF, there is a transaction, it is a merger. The ONLY reason the Delta name would be kept is money. Delta lost way more money than NW during bk. Therefore they have a $9.1 BILLION NOL (Net operating loss) that can not be transferred to another carrier.

It is a stock swap. But, I hardly think it will even get to that. They can launch a whatever you want to call it, till the cows come home, that doesn't mean it will happen. My money is on Oberstar and the NW employees.

The only downside is these "Wellington", Pardus groups will cause NW to lose the "Golden share". That's who is driving this monster, and you can bet it is not lost on Oberstar. It really cracks me up when NW is operating a more financially sound enterprise than all others, and they are all chopping at the bit for us...once something is announced, we will see the sparks start to fly...we are not crippled Pan Am by any stretch of the imagination. If I were Delta, I'd be looking over my shoulder at "becoming" prey...again.

I think you are confused...Delta is NOT buying Northwest. IF...and that is a VERY big IF, there is a transaction, it is a merger. The ONLY reason the Delta name would be kept is money. Delta lost way more money than NW during bk. Therefore they have a $9.1 BILLION NOL (Net operating loss) that can not be transferred to another carrier.

It is a stock swap. But, I hardly think it will even get to that. They can launch a whatever you want to call it, till the cows come home, that doesn't mean it will happen. My money is on Oberstar and the NW employees.

The only downside is these "Wellington", Pardus groups will cause NW to lose the "Golden share". That's who is driving this monster, and you can bet it is not lost on Oberstar. It really cracks me up when NW is operating a more financially sound enterprise than all others, and they are all chopping at the bit for us...once something is announced, we will see the sparks start to fly...we are not crippled Pan Am by any stretch of the imagination. If I were Delta, I'd be looking over my shoulder at "becoming" prey...again.

From what i've read, it would be a 1 for 1 stock swap with Anderson remaining CEO of the new airline, along with ATL staying the headquarters and keeping the Delta name. Northwest was the one that asked DAL to come back to the merger table, so i'm not sure why you try to spin this as a hostile takeover atempt by DAL.. As for Oberstar, could he make the afformentioned merger more difficult if he wanted to? Absolutely. Can he stop said merger from taking place? I haven't seen any factual information that says he has the regulatory power to do so.

With any luck, if this moves forward, it will be in the mold of an AF/KLM merger where the 2 entities essentially remain separate.

"I wouldn't be surprised if AA tried to force DAL to bid up the price, however AA might not be in the position to do so..." Delta 777

I would assume that statement meant Bidding up the price of NW. Am I correct. Therefore, I just wanted to make it clear, Delta is NOT bidding on NW...period. Delta MUST remain the surviving carrier...or there is a loss of $9.1 BILLION. I don't care what RAnderson says, the facts are the facts. He doesn't have a choice BUT to keep the Delta name. Like the Delta BOD or NW BOD is going to walk away from a $9 Billion dollar tax break. That is the ONLY reason NW is not buying Delta. And AMR is a mute point in this. They would have to offer an extraordinary high amount, which they can't, to interfere with a stock swap.

As for Oberstar, anyone who knows anything about politics and Washington should know that real power is never in black and white. I can tell you that most NW people are NOT interested in merging with anyone.

I suspect they will attempt an AF/KLM...even that will have to pass the DOJ, and we remember well how the NW "Goldenshare" came about. There simply is no reason for mergers. Let the companies that can't cut it disappear....as they should.

It is not NWA (the company per se) that is pushing for this, it is the scum that own hundreds of millions of NW and Delta stock that are hoping for a profit. Wellington, Pardus, Fidelity.

NW BOD and management can announce any deal they like...if the NW Unions are not for it, there will be war! (a bow to Luke) :)

like. -_-

And why exactly, would you label me as such? Because I may or may not agree with you? Who does that make pompous?

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. The Delta name would survive if the merge is successul. Delta by all account retains its name, headquarters, and senior management team.

I would actually give more credit to the unions ability to disrupt this than Oberstar. Personally I hope I am wrong about him and he singlehandidly prevents this disaster from happening.

It really cracks me up when NW is operating a more financially sound enterprise than all others, and they are all chopping at the bit for us...

I really don't know if I would be bragging about being the prettiest pup in an ugly litter. None of the majors are impervious to $100+ oil.

If I were Delta, I'd be looking over my shoulder at "becoming" prey...again.
The hunters and hunted are always changing places in this industry. Essentially, everyone is prey.

And why exactly, would you label me as such? Because I may or may not agree with you? Who does that make pompous?

My post was made in jest, sorry if I offended. It was my attempt at humor based on the 'stereotype' of a pilot.
And although I don't agree with you on everything, I do agree on a lot of your posts.

My post was made in jest, sorry if I offended. It was my attempt at humor based on the 'stereotype' of a pilot.
And although I don't agree with you on everything, I do agree on a lot of your posts.

Great, now I do feel like a pompous a$$. :rolleyes: Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Today's news items sort of seem to be saying the opposite.
They are reporting that DL is "mulling" the offer and that there are NO meetings set for this week.
I love all these 'anonymous' sources that they quote. It's akin to reading the Enquirer. (Maybe Britney is behind all the new merger talk!!) :wacko:

Back