Dl To Go Hourly Atl-phl

7.5victim

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
DTW
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040415/cgth077_1.html

"Delta Air Lines will begin offering customers hourly flights between Atlanta and Philadelphia starting June 1. With the addition of four flights to its schedule, the airline now will offer customers 15 daily roundtrip flights between its Atlanta hub and Philadelphia. This increase in flights is a response to increasing demand for business and leisure travel in Philadelphia."

The new flights haven't been loaded at Delta.com yet. DL currently operates 11 daily flights, operating MD88, 738, 757, and even a 767-200. No RJ's of any kind. Will US respond the same way they've responded to WN?

Ive thought for sometime that U should be more aggressive into other legacy carrier's hubs. Not just from its hubs, but from LGA and BOS and DCA, too.

I'm certainly stunned. I can't quite figure out the logic of it, though. Does DL really believe they're going to attract a lot of new DL frequent flyers? Is this a place-holder based on the assumption that Southwest is going to drive US out of town? or out of business? That's my only guess - that DL is trying to establish a presence in the event US fails. Short of that, this is a loser for both carriers. DL will certainly bleed cash with this move. US almost certainly has to respond - with several additional frequencies - including at least some mainline flights. Both will take a beating that they can't afford.

Delta will bleed, more. Airtraine drives the price in that market. US still has a few maineline flights, but just as much, if not more RJ's. And the RJ's are full.

Atlantic said:
And the RJ's are full.
I can second this. I have flown PHL-ATL-PHL upwards of 15 times and I would say the load factor is around 95% on the CRJ. I have actually emailed "Dave" wondering why we are still flying an RJ on this route. Even if the loads were less, on a route from two large business destinations I think you have to offer some first class. I hope this move by Delta forces U's hand, as I think it might actually HELP U by getting larger aircraft that I think will make money. Something much needed around here. -Cape

Yes recently Delta has been flying 762's and 763's into PHL. Actually Delta did have hourly flts ATL-PHL but i think they were reduced around 9/11. Airtran also adds another flt ATL-PHL so they will have 6 daily flts.

PineyBob said:
Given DL's weakened financial position I can't help but think that US should focus on causing DL as much "pain" as possible. SWA is what it is and US knows what's required to combat them. Whether they get all they need is an open ???

Going after DL and their bloated costs into a hub from the US strongholds in the NE would seem to me a sure fire way to make money and prove that legacy carriers can do the point to point thing well. Not to mention a further weakening of DL.
Bob, STOP!

Your making sense and you know US Airways Executives never do anything that makes sense!

I remember when I was flying the 757, we flew PHL- ATL and if I recall, it was full. Now it is totally RJs? Huh. I guess you can increase frequencies and still have a high load factor...

PineyBob said:
Given DL's weakened financial position I can't help but think that US should focus on causing DL as much "pain" as possible. SWA is what it is and US knows what's required to combat them. Whether they get all they need is an open ???

Going after DL and their bloated costs into a hub from the US strongholds in the NE would seem to me a sure fire way to make money and prove that legacy carriers can do the point to point thing well. Not to mention a further weakening of DL.
As you pointed out, WN is what it is, and a this is most definitely a combined attack on US. WN and DL smell blood. I am afraid you can fill all the RJ's you want and it won't have much of an effect. Good luck to you.

Delta NEEDS UAIR to stop operating more than anyone. Could that have anything to do with it?

autofixer said:
Delta NEEDS UAIR to stop operating more than anyone. Could that have anything to do with it?
Actually I believe WN would stand to gain much more from a US Airways failure than DL. DL does not have the resources available to swoop in if the opportunity arises. I think any void left by a defunct US Airways would be filled primarily by LCC's, and that is precisely why this attack was launched by WN.

autofixer said:
In a "normal" business environment, I would agree with you, because a failure of U would mean that everyone else serving cities like PHL and CLT could immediately raise fares. However, with Airtran serving the same route and SWA looming on the horizon, a failure of U would just mean that more LCCs might enter the market.

The reality is that the LCCs are here to stay, and there is too much capacity still in the airline business--the Ivy League "B" school phrase might be "too many seats chasing too few butts." Either LCCs must be forced to raise their fares (which ain't gonna happen) or some capacity has to disappear. I think that means that at least one of the "majors" is going to have to fail before there is any hope of long-term stability in the airline industry.

RJ's SUCK. No room, no food, no entertainment, can't even stand up in half of em. Time for the mainline to take back their routes and fly boeings and airbus if these planes are too full not to mention they are weight restricted when 50 people are on board. What a concecpt

Back