Does US Actually Have a Boarding Policy?

Um, not all of us agent panic when boarding. Even when boarding a 190 or 170 for that matter, its always nice to board ontime or early if possible because as well all know, people take their time putting their stuff away and taking their seats.

This message is brought to you by International Shannon who is stitting next to me saying and I quote "Amen Sister".

Just keep in mind that boarding times (30 min./35 min. prior to departure time, depending on A/C) are not just policy, they are contractual. When an agent asks to board early he/she is asking if the company can violate a contract. Please don't be upset when the answer is no.

Fly Guy,

Then that contract is an example of one of the many things that prevent the company from operating more efficiently. Agents SHOULD have the ability to board a little early if necessary and they feel it will take longer.

Everyone tells the customer that this ain't the same business, well the contracts have to be changed as well to reflect that as well.......The times have changed.

For what it's worth, AA and CO board as needed...I have seen both begin boarding 45 minutes ahead of departure on domestic flights--in one case there were 11 wheelchairs.

You have to adapt...and change the way you operate.

I have changed--I no longer fly US, and have even tried WN..something that I swore I'd never do. US told me they no longer value my business, I was happy to oblige them (actions speak louder than words).

uhhh, can you please wait a little bit, I need to remove the bag I just put in the overhead to get the book/magazine I forgot to remove before boarding.....Oh, and I get leg cramps if i sit too long so, I'll just stand here half in the aisle until the door closes......mommy, I need to use the restroom, I forgot to go before boarding....I didnt look at my ticket , so i inadvertently sat in the wrong seat....Ohhh, I forgot to put my jacket in the overhead, excuse me......daddy, I need my toys......it just goes on and on...

Why should so-called FC board first on US? Tempe's contempt for premium customers should extend to all aspects of the experience, including being invited to board with a slew of other people.

Why should so-called FC board first on US? Tempe's contempt for premium customers should extend to all aspects of the experience, including being invited to board with a slew of other people.

I agree. Pre-boarding passengers seated in the big front seats implies that there is actually first class service being offered on these planes. This just raises the level of contempt. I'm in favor of the honest approach all around.

I agree. Pre-boarding passengers seated in the big front seats implies that there is actually first class service being offered on these planes. This just raises the level of contempt. I'm in favor of the honest approach all around.
Right! They should move FC to the rear of the plane, between the lavs. That'll teach yinz. :lol:

Just keep in mind that boarding times (30 min./35 min. prior to departure time, depending on A/C) are not just policy, they are contractual. When an agent asks to board early he/she is asking if the company can violate a contract. Please don't be upset when the answer is no.
I have never had a problem getting a crew to board early. They're always happy if it avoids seat dupes.

-friend of gnome

On airport grounds? Nah. They turn stupid as soon as they leave their house, drive on the roads, and walk into a retail store.

Finally :up:
Then real stupidity sets in when they enter the terminal and they head for baggage claim rather than the airline counters. Then they go from the counters to TSA screening. They then head for the nearest escalator that happens to be the one going down. They get mad like someone moved it just to p*$$ them off...stupid?

When boarding finally begins...after the TSA security checkpoint, if they make it...the lines form in a block-the-aisle fashion. And they don't let anybody cut them off, even those who just want to get elsewhere. Among your regular drones you have those who believe in drinking at 8 am and can go either way.

Fly Guy,

Then that contract is an example of one of the many things that prevent the company from operating more efficiently. Agents SHOULD have the ability to board a little early if necessary and they feel it will take longer.

Everyone tells the customer that this ain't the same business, well the contracts have to be changed as well to reflect that as well.......The times have changed.

For what it's worth, AA and CO board as needed...I have seen both begin boarding 45 minutes ahead of departure on domestic flights--in one case there were 11 wheelchairs.

You have to adapt...and change the way you operate.

I have changed--I no longer fly US, and have even tried WN..something that I swore I'd never do. US told me they no longer value my business, I was happy to oblige them (actions speak louder than words).

Really though, who wants to board 45 minutes prior to departure? What if the ac gets stranded on the runway or is on a holding pattern because the city it is flying to has bad weather? Why would anyone want to be on an ac longer than they have to? I mean that's just my opinion. In an airport where ac come in and depart asap, after pax unload, the boarding starts within minutes and it seems to work. I think pax just want to be the first ones on, like people who pass cars just to be first.

For the record:

My area says 'families travelling with children' or 'families travelling with young children.' Never heard under the age of 2. A young child might be considered under 12.

Really though, who wants to board 45 minutes prior to departure?

I think pax just want to be the first ones on, like people who pass cars just to be first.

I'm an "early boarder". It annoys some people I travel with, but I feel if I don't get on first, even in FC, I have problems with the overhead. I usually sit in Row 1 and I carry a litigation bag that will fit under the seat. I would prefer to sit in the Club until the last minute, but I would end up having to gate check my carry ons. So, for me, when I would fly US and they would announce Zones 1, 2 and everyone else, it was very annoying because by the time you got on, people filled the FC overheads with their stuff or it was already filled with that crap Tempe decided to move there.

Oh, bloody hell.

Complete randomness is a flight attendant's nightmare. I don't care what a math whiz says.

The math whiz isn't dealing with folks that have never stepped on an aircraft.. I am.

<_<

With all due respect, WN boards flights faster than anyone out there. They can board a full 73 in about 10 minutes, and its complete randomness

With all due respect, WN boards flights faster than anyone out there. They can board a full 73 in about 10 minutes, and its complete randomness
but it really isnt random. if you watch how people board southwest, it is almost always the same no matter where you take them. the biz travellers get on first, and they go right to the exit rows. then the a's come on, and they go from front to back taking window seats. if two people are together, they take a window and an aisle, leaving the middle open. then the b's come on and take up the remaining aisle seats. then the c's come on, and the FA's always just announce that, the flight is full, people, take your coats off the middle seats and let the remaining people sit down. Since the plane boards from front to back, people can actually put their bags where they sit.

i agree with us1yfare, i too always pick bulkhead seats. nothing sucks worse than having that seat and having to put your bag back at row 6, and you dont even have an option to put your bag under your seat.

one time on a US flight, this was great... a stupid jerk pax got on and put her bag up in first class, and the FA yelled out, miss, where is your seat - and she was like 15 A, the FA said, the bag goes back with you, this space is for the passengers who are seated here. i couldnt wait to give the FA an above and beyond certificate.

Actually, I find it interesting how FAST WN boards.....I flew them today (2nd Trip!!) and the flight was late, and they still turned it in less than 1/2 hour. They were very proactive--did the boarding explanations and initial lineups while the inbound was still deplaning. Entire boarding of a FULL flight took about 18 minutes.

I think consistency is still a major issue at US. While there is a certain amount of flexibility and discretion which NEEDS to be afforded agents under different boarding conditions, I have seen too often similar situations handled completely differently--even on the same flight a couple of days later with similar loads.

The problem is there is very little consistency from above, and very little constructive direction--when everything management tells you is designed to deride or intimidate you, eventually you just stop listening.......