DOT Issues Final China Authority

zethya

Veteran
Mar 23, 2006
Here it is, the Final DOT Authority for PHL-PEK:

"By this Order we make final our tentative findings and conclusions set forth in
Order 2007-9-25, and award US Airways, Inc. (US Airways) certificate authority to provide combination services in the Philadelphia-Beijing market and allocate to US Airways seven weekly combination frequencies for its Philadelphia-Beijing services. We also make final our tentative decision to allocate seven weekly combination frequencies each to American Airlines, Inc. (American) for its proposed Chicago-Beijing services, Continental Airlines, Inc. (Continental) for its proposed New York/Newark-Shanghai services, and Northwest Airlines, Inc. (Northwest) for its proposed Detroit-Shanghai services. All of these rights become available on March 25, 2009. "

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspublic/comp...2007-28567-0656

Now, if the Tempe "Talent" doesn't soon get busy nailing down purchase or lease of some airplanes that will make the trip, it will be very obvious that a merger is seriously in the works with a company that already HAS airplanes that will do it.

Now, if the Tempe "Talent" doesn't soon get busy nailing down purchase or lease of some airplanes that will make the trip, it will be very obvious that a merger is seriously in the works with a company that already HAS airplanes that will do it.

If LCC were to merge with an airline that already flies to China, especially Beijing, wouldn't that cause the DOT to re-think the award? It seems that they are determined to spread the wealth on China routes. For instance, if LCC were to merge with UA or NW, that would just add Asia frequencies to an airline that already has more than they can say grace over.

And, if the merger were with AA, I doubt seriously the award would stand since we just got frequencies to the same destination, just a different U.S. departure city.

I'm not being tacky, I'm curious. Being a lowly domestic f/a, I don't understand all this International stuff. :lol:

If the DOT OKed it.

Can we finally get China in First Class?

How about glass glasses?

Can we get the DOT to approve treating customers like people?

If LCC were to merge with an airline that already flies to China, especially Beijing, wouldn't that cause the DOT to re-think the award? It seems that they are determined to spread the wealth on China routes. For instance, if LCC were to merge with UA or NW, that would just add Asia frequencies to an airline that already has more than they can say grace over.

And, if the merger were with AA, I doubt seriously the award would stand since we just got frequencies to the same destination, just a different U.S. departure city.

I'm not being tacky, I'm curious. Being a lowly domestic f/a, I don't understand all this International stuff. :lol:

I doubt the award would be rescinded over a merger. The award was for Philadelphia-Peking service. It was as much a reward for Philadelphia and its environs as it was for USAirways. The idea is not so much to spread the wealth among the various airlines as it is to spread the service around the various cities. If, say, AAA and NWA were to merge, the fact that NWA already serves Peking from other cities does not abrogate the need for and the viability of the service from Philadelphia.

So back to the question of the week - HOW is US going to fly this route? 340's still available ~ when is Tempe going to do some work on this - or will it be in typical US mgmt fashion. Will they drag their feet, procrastinate or just give up on flying it all together? Hope US gets off their duffs and does this one right. The right a/c with "real " airline service - ya know Envoy ( upgraded ) and economy with comfortable seats, good IFE, crew bunks and enough seat pitch- just to name a few. Still hope US can make this decision properly. Time will tell- BESt of luck! :up:

Wet Lease.

I don't believe the east pilot and f/a contracts permit it. They tried that years ago with UAL and the pilots told Wolf to take China (or was it Japan) and the route to it and place it all where the sun doesn't shine. And that was the end of that.

But, if the west contracts allow it, then I suppose it is a possibility. Might get very interesting, though. As if things around here could stand to get "more interesting."

Wet Lease.
Although that is a thought. I don't know if any U.S. carrier would actually provide 2 777/747s (the only capable U.S. based aircraft) with crew to US Airways for China. There just aren't any available. UA doesn't even have, or just barely has, the resources for their newly awarded route and the only advertised capable wet leases are a few fairly old (20+ years) 747s from 2nd sources. Using AC, Air China, ANA or Asiana would I'm certain cause immediate protests from U.S. carriers and be acted upon quickly by the DOT, as well as US Airways's Unions. After the previous challenges to the US award (Maxjet, UA, etc.), based on service performance and aircraft availability, I would be shocked if Parker, etal., would actually subject the company to the criticism for such as move, if it were even feasible.

Although that is a thought. I don't know if any U.S. carrier would actually provide 2 777/747s (the only capable U.S. based aircraft) with crew to US Airways for China. There just aren't any available. UA doesn't even have, or just barely has, the resources for their newly awarded route and the only advertised capable wet leases are a few fairly old (20+ years) 747s from 2nd sources. Using AC, Air China, ANA or Asiana would I'm certain cause immediate protests from U.S. carriers and be acted upon quickly by the DOT, as well as US Airways's Unions. After the previous challenges to the US award (Maxjet, UA, etc.), based on service performance and aircraft availability, I would be shocked if Parker, etal., would actually subject the company to the criticism for such as move, if it were even feasible.

Never underestimate DoUgIe :unsure:

Didn’t HP outsource their Japan route?
I remember one of the West people explaining it to me that something like NW did it at the very end of them doing the route but I think it was because HP sold the route to NW. I could be way off on that but that is the jist of it and how it was explained to me.

Latest posts

Back