Easter Sunday Operations

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I was once told by an airline employee that the two busiest days of the year for airlines are Thanksgiving Sunday and Easter Sunday. Is that still correct?

If so, how are things going operationally today in the USAirways system? Any reports from the field?

You want the conference call version or the truth? :shock:
First off the good news, all the originators from one particular station left (as of 835am) with only a couple minutes delays. Also the first 3 inbounds were also on the way and on time from CLT/PHL/PIT.

Now...
Still have 3 kiosks out of service along with a computer now so we're down to 9 kiosks. I was skd to work the gate, but they were short at the counter (surprise!) and was sent there. Ended up queueing the line and made CLT cutoff, but not PHL or DC. I think the cargo delays (2-15 minutes) was probably late bags because of cutoff not being made. We were overbooked on all the flights today anywhere from 3 or 4 up to 25 or so (with FC seats blocked) so probably about 5-10 actual overbooked would be average (in this one city). I did see that they managed to clear a couple standbys on some of the first flights probably because of the people who showed up after flight close out. There were no runners this morning if they werent in line at cutoff.

Hope the rest of the day goes well, but the weather looks like it might get in the action again later today in the South. :unsure:

Sunday ops were not bad at all....especially given the high bookings.

Monday is turning out to be a bit more stressful. According to the FAA ATC website there are ground delay programs in place for ATL, EWR, FLL, LGA and PHL. Delays are averaging an hour +. With bookings in excess of 231,500 it will be a challenging day.

I thought we were booked to over 180K on Sat.....which is very high for a Sat. Areas like BOS, MHT, PVD, and BDL weren't on Spring break, so the loads in that area were lighter. Everything else seemed packed.

Sat. night in Clt was its usual nightmare. Numerous late flights. I wouldn't even try to guess the number of bags that were overnight that did not make the planes. Lets just say in the hundreds to be nice about it. Way short on staff also. It's such a joke!

Management is a JOKE ! ! ! !

Do not sell the flights if you do not have staff in place to handle the work load.

Any money made, has been spent TWO FOLD paying for delivery costs.

And who controls all of this ? ? ? ? ? ? ?