Thanksgiving ops/stats

Dexter...

Actually, Thanksgiving air travel was down a decent % from last year and in fact, a number of years prior and that goes for all airlines!
My friends at AA/UAL and NW all noticed much quieter terminals, lighter load factors etc....so it was not just US. Matter of fact I was at ORD on Wed. and noticed it myself.

I think that the near-constant pre-holiday drumbeat of doom-and-gloom media hype about how bad it was going to be was a deciding factor for a whole lot of those who were on the fence about "should we drive or should we fly?" Bet the highways weren't less crowded at all.

I think that the near-constant pre-holiday drumbeat of doom-and-gloom media hype about how bad it was going to be was a deciding factor for a whole lot of those who were on the fence about "should we drive or should we fly?" Bet the highways weren't less crowded at all.
PA turnpike was a mess according to the people I know who drove.

http://www.stockhouse.ca/news/news.asp?tic...;newsid=6228919

Kudo's to the EMPLOYEE GROUP!

JOB, WELL DONE!

US Airways reported its operational performance numbers for the busy travel period surrounding the Thanksgiving holiday. Over the five-day period (Wednesday, Nov. 21 through Sunday, Nov. 25), the airline's arrivals within 14 minutes of schedule averaged 86.6 percent and the airline completed 99.6 percent of its scheduled flights.

only stating opinions
Again! Does this include Express?

load factors did seem low:

80% sun
73% sat
67% fri
66% thu
76% wed

Northwest reported "average load factors topping 85%" over the same five days.

But US did have better A14 numbers: 86% vs 78% for NW

Could the lighter loads also be the result of a system that is genuinely broken? Sometimes I think US is just this weeks poster child for what's wrong in general. Maybe people are just fed up, said "Bleep It" and drove to Grandma's??

One thing I have noticed in my own workgroup is that people spread there holiday travel out now. Last Year I took the family to SAN over the T-day week leaving on the prior Sat and flying home on Black Friday. We had a great time, the attractions were virtually empty, it was easy to get around AND the airport experience was uneventful. Had the Turkey on Sunday. I'm thinking I'm not the only guy doing this.

Check out the fares on Christmas Day versus Christmas eve! There used to be hundreds even thousands of dollars in difference now it's much closer when you fly on Christmas day. Take an early morning flight and be to Grandmas by noon, and it's cheaper and more reliable. People figure these things out.

Some combo of factors certainly made for lighter loads on any given day. I'd agree with the "fed up" factor likely playing a significant role, as well as the more evenly distributed fares. It was a bit of a strange, but most pleasant feeling to not see the "usual" holiday clusterfugg, replete with vast hoards of irritated passengers being routinely inconvenienced, or completely frustrated. I'll definately go with Mother Nature being a fine accomplice this year...nothing like virtually clear skies to operate in. All in all = not a bad few days to fly this time around.