eco-friendly investments via our 401Ks

ArtTang

Advanced
Feb 14, 2003
Hello everybody:

I have contacted JP Morgan about the possibility of offering investors an additional option for their 401K accounts. If you work for AMR, it is likely you have a 401K set up through JP Morgan. I have requested a new "eco-friendly" option which would allow us to direct our investments into companies that develop alternative fuel sources while seeking solutions to pollution and climate change.

A representative from JP Morgan said my request would be forwarded to the appropriate department for review. Now, if enough of us write to JP Morgan, perhaps we can actually convince them to offer us an investment option dedicated to eco-friendly companies. This option would not only allow us to invest in our environment, but it could also be a smart financial move. As the effects of climate change and pollution continue to manifest, efforts to find practical and clean solutions will increase. Alternative fuel, recycling, packaging, and disposal are
just a few of the areas in which the investments are directed.

So, would you take a moment to log onto your 401K account at JP Morgan, click on the "contact us" button, and request the creation of "eco-friendly" investment options? Even if you do not wish to invest in such areas, it would be terrific if there were an additional option for those of us who would like to do so.

Thanks a lot,
Art Tang
IMA

Do you have a list of these "eco-friendly" companies?
No, I do not have a list. However, the way it usually works is once the investment firms, such as JP Morgan or TIAA CREF, decide to offer such options, they create an oversight committee to review and select companies that meet certain criteria vis-a-vis efforts to develop alternative energy sources, clean and biodegradable packaging, etc. Some eco-friendly investment options are even based on the criterion that the companies meet certain ethical considerations, such as whether or not the companies are pro-labor, ban testing on animals, etc. Each investment firm determines its own criteria, and the investor will have the ability to review them.

Mother Jones had a very good write up about such investments and how they are becoming popular in more progressive places like Austin, Ann Arbor, San Francisco, etc. The article dates from November, I believe.

Thanks for asking. Again, if enough people request the option, maybe JP Morgan will agree to offer it. Eco-friendly investing would merely add to our options as investors. Nobody would be obligated to choose the investment option.

Peace,
Art Tang
IMA

No, I do not have a list. However, the way it usually works is once the investment firms, such as JP Morgan or TIAA CREF, decide to offer such options, they create an oversight committee to review and select companies that meet certain criteria vis-a-vis efforts to develop alternative energy sources, clean and biodegradable packaging, etc. Some eco-friendly investment options are even based on the criterion that the companies meet certain ethical considerations, such as whether or not the companies are pro-labor, ban testing on animals, etc. Each investment firm determines its own criteria, and the investor will have the ability to review them.

Mother Jones had a very good write up about such investments and how they are becoming popular in more progressive places like Austin, Ann Arbor, San Francisco, etc. The article dates from November, I believe.

Thanks for asking. Again, if enough people request the option, maybe JP Morgan will agree to offer it. Eco-friendly investing would merely add to our options as investors. Nobody would be obligated to choose the investment option.

Peace,
Art Tang
IMA

Quite frankly I'm a bit leary of the eco crowd right now considering that over in Europe they are gunning for the airline industry. I'm just wondering how long before that line of thought makes it over here.

I have to wonder if comapanies like Boeing, GE, RR or the airlines would be on this list. Considering, some would argue, that they are doing more to reduce emmsisions than supposedly eco freindly companies like Google. Show me a company that meets "ethical considerations" and I'm sure someone could dig up some dirt.

Quite frankly I'm a bit leary of the eco crowd right now considering that over in Europe they are gunning for the airline industry. I'm just wondering how long before that line of thought makes it over here.

I have to wonder if comapanies like Boeing, GE, RR or the airlines would be on this list. Considering, some would argue, that they are doing more to reduce emmsisions than supposedly eco freindly companies like Google. Show me a company that meets "ethical considerations" and I'm sure someone could dig up some dirt.
Your concerns are valid. The investment firms establish an oversight committee to review potential candidates for the portfolios. The potential for human error will always exist, especially since this is a relatively new area of investment. Still, I believe it would be a "plus" to have the option to invest in the growing field. Interestingly, such investments are taking off in Canada as in Europe, so we'll undoubtedly hear more about them as time goes on.

Thanks for your comments.

Art Tang
IMA