Employee Travel on US

mikes87

Oct 24, 2007
Can someone explain how employee pass travel works for US? Unlimited SA on your own carrier is a given. What about buddy passes, designated travel companion (for those of us who are not married), upgrades to business/first class? I'm sure there has to be a topic already about this, but I cant seem to find it.

all employee travel on us and us exp piedmont and psa are stand by as is buddy passes guest pass priviledges. if i remember correctly you get 8 buddy passes a year regardless whether u use it or not. if you want to go f/c or business, i believe its 20 dollar upgrade if there room and depending where your going. i think if it is cross country or hawaii or europe i think its around 40 dollars but i could be wrong. hope this helps u a bit

Domestic upgrades, including Mexico, Caribbean and Central America, are $20 each way. Hawaii and Europe are $100 each way.

Travel companions travel free at ticketeing but you are taxed for them directly from your paycheck.

Mike.. New: you can change your des companion once every six months. now I have a question
if anybody knows. How is the tax implication for des comp figured ?
The one year I received a 1099 while furloughed (2004), it was 10% of the full coach fare (I don't know if that is Y or what) for each leg. So for a two leg round trip it was something like $80 a leg, or $320 of imputed income. That's a lot for a furloughee with a wife and 2 children, multiply by 4. I think we ended up that year with $6,000.00 in imputed income on our 1099.

I didn't pay social security on it and was prepared for an audit but it hasn't come yet. I didn't because it isn't earned income.

So with only one person as a guest and travelling maybe 5 times a year it really wouldn't be that much, especially if they are able to take direct routes.

that's my 2 cents, hope it helps

Can someone explain how employee pass travel works for US? Unlimited SA on your own carrier is a given. What about buddy passes, designated travel companion (for those of us who are not married), upgrades to business/first class? I'm sure there has to be a topic already about this, but I cant seem to find it.

I noticed that you'e a newbie. Welcome.

Whatever you do, don't take pass travel into consideration when thinking about working for this airline. Pass travel is difficult at best. For buddy pass riders, it's near impossible to go anywhere "fun" because the flights are so full to those destinations.

Find a real job, and buy discounted air tickets when you want to go somewhere. After nearly 30 years working here, I NEVER take a vacation by air without buying a ticket. And I NEVER purchase those tickets on USAirways, either.

The one year I received a 1099 while furloughed (2004), it was 10% of the full coach fare (I don't know if that is Y or what) for each leg. So for a two leg round trip it was something like $80 a leg, or $320 of imputed income. That's a lot for a furloughee with a wife and 2 children, multiply by 4. I think we ended up that year with $6,000.00 in imputed income on our 1099.

I didn't pay social security on it and was prepared for an audit but it hasn't come yet. I didn't because it isn't earned income.

So with only one person as a guest and travelling maybe 5 times a year it really wouldn't be that much, especially if they are able to take direct routes.

that's my 2 cents, hope it helps
Its figured on the high Y on the day of travel. And I believe the amount an employee pays is based on your state tax filing.

Its figured on the high Y on the day of travel. And I believe the amount an employee pays is based on your state tax filing.
I guess they kind of figure it as an ID90% gift. Then what they used to do was withhold 40%
of that and you could figure out what it really costs you by what tax bracket your in. If you
are cheep like me you'll want to know what it actually cost you out of pocket . So for instance
the trip is valued a 100 bucks. So your next check has $40 taken out for withholding. But
your tax bracket is 20% so at the end of the year you'll pay $20. Its a little complex but I
think that's accurate.

I noticed that you'e a newbie. Welcome.

Whatever you do, don't take pass travel into consideration when thinking about working for this airline. Pass travel is difficult at best. For buddy pass riders, it's near impossible to go anywhere "fun" because the flights are so full to those destinations.

Find a real job, and buy discounted air tickets when you want to go somewhere. After nearly 30 years working here, I NEVER take a vacation by air without buying a ticket. And I NEVER purchase those tickets on USAirways, either.

I agree unless your single and traveling by your self and can work out a buddy bid or something
where you can give yourself extra "travel days" on both sides of the trip. I went thru
a travel binge period mostly flying on OALs. We have great station agreements in SAN with
all the other airlines here. We had BA for a while system wide . At first it was completely
free then for taxes. In about a 7 year period I chalked up almost 500,000 non-rev miles.
But also during that period I slept in airports a lot..Good Luck BF

I completely agree with nycbusdriver. Spot on answer!

Pass travel is difficult at best. For buddy pass riders, it's near impossible to go anywhere "fun" because the flights are so full to those destinations.

Absolutely right, NYC! I finally packed up my toys and went home after years of pay cuts. I just couldn't take it any longer.

I buy tickets, too, and do so on Delta. All airlines have a lot of improving to do, but I tell you, US is w-a-y behind DL in terms of employee attitudes, aircraft cleanliness, in-flight product, etc. If a non-rev manages to get one of the scant few seats left nowadays, he or she will endure a Draconian gate agent, sit in an old frayed gray wool Y seat (that is likely either leaning to the left or won't stop reclining) and have the honor of paying for that god-awful rubber chicken on foccacia, served by a surly FA who wants to get back to the jumpseat to finish her People magazine. So, if price is relatively equaly, why wouldn't I fly DL? I can check-in with a friendly and professional employee who has tools at his or her disposal to actually answer questions (e.g. not QIK), have a leather seat with seatback video, a cheerful crew, actual peanuts and a decent meal. It's basic math.

Granted, these are generalizations and don't apply to every employee and every aircraft, but more often than not, these have been my experiences.

I'm going to rank here the best airline to nonrev on in my experience.
1. Continental
2. Alaska
3. JetBlue
4. United
5. US Airways
6. American
7. Northwest

I won't count AirTrash(Overqualified) or Delta(Never Nonrevved)

Latest posts