ERJ Question

Dash8ter, no the airport does not have one available for rent. Signature, Worldwide, UAL Exp. or CO won''t rent us one either. The problem is that when we had TSA J41''s they burned a few up. Also how many times can you ask to borrow or rent until they say no?

What is the situation at the new Terminal F in PHL, weren''t they supposed to have jetways that would be usable for any small jet?
On a related note is Terminal F being utilized to and decent level, I don''t see many aircraft at the F gates when I pass by.

Jay

The EMB 170 will have slides as far as I know. Based on a look at the plane and a count of the treads on the boarding stair, it looks as if the deck will be 8-9 feet up. In this pic the slide pack is visable at the bottom of the door:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/258892/M/

The FAA requires slides if the deck height at the doors is over 5.5 feet. This is why all the current RJ''s are about the same height. The CRJ-100/200 sits a little lower, but the gear had to be lengthened on the -700 due to the extra length. when you look at the -700 you will see that it sits nose-down on the pavement, not level. This keeps the main door below 5.5 feet. See:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/329787/M/
Compare the cheatline which is straight down the plane to the horizon behind.

As for portable GPU''s they are almost always the property of an airline or FBO as opposed to fixed units on gates and jetways, which are usually airport supplied. The particular problem with the ERJ is that it''s a 28VDC plane, while most installed jetway power supplies are 400HZ 120VAC, which is what all the larger jets use. So most jetways are GPU equipped, but not compatable with the ERJ. Some cities are now installing the 28VDC supplies on gates specifically used by the ERJs. PHL has them on the F-Gates, they are on HP''s gates in CMH, and Eagle has been installing them on a number of jetways in their system. I''m sure there are many other places as well, but for the most part we are still dependant on portable GPU''s with the ERJ.
The ERJ has an APU for all normal needs and only requires a GPU and ground air when it''s inop. It isn''t likely to toast a GPU like some of the bigger turboprops because we only use it to power the onboard systems at 200-300 amps, and use a huffer cart to start the engines. the SAAB and similar planes, OTOH, need 1200-1600 amps to start their engines, which can toast a marginal GPU...

..CT

Trans States operates both types. All USAirways painted aircraft have airstair doors, the American ones have jetways doors. There are advantages/disadvantages to both. The airstair doors make the airplane self-sufficient.........try diverting to an airport that doesn''t have compatible jetways or portable steps.....I guess you can jump OFF, but it''s darned hard to get back ON the airplane. On the other hand, the airstair doors have freezing problems in the winter and can be hard to close, then they drip snow/water/salt all over the F/A after they do close.

Latest posts