Why No Q400s?

N786P said:
If a Boeing 777 is a prop as per: TBONEJ4J , with comparing the Q400, why does'nt the Q400 cruise at 35K ++ and span oceans...??? Do'nt even try to compare a 777 to A EGG BEATER!!! What a laugh :up:
Well first of all the Q400 Service Ceiling is 35000, I believe, so it could certainly cruise there. If it could take enough fuel it could cross an ocean, slowly yes, but it could with enough fuel. As could an RJ, but not as comfortably as in the Q400.

When talking about the B777, I am not comparing airplanes but powerplants.

All B777 Powerplants have 100% ByPass. That means there is no, or at least negligible, Jet Exhaust propulsion. All the thrust comes via the Fan, which is ducted, otherwise known as a Ducted Fan. A Propeller with a Mask. But of course you know that?:unsure:

A Propeller by any other name is still a Propeller. Even when they put a duct around it.

All B777 Powerplants have 100% ByPass. That means there is no, or at least negligible, Jet Exhaust propulsion. All the thrust comes via the Fan, which is ducted, otherwise known as a Ducted Fan. A Propeller with a Mask. But of course you know that?

A Propeller by any other name is still a Propeller. Even when they put a duct around it.

Yes. You are exactly right. But try to even get a fraction of airline passengers to understand, or even care, about the concept of what they know to be JET aircraft as really being DUCTED FAN (prop) aircraft. Most would call you a lunatic; to them, anyone with functioning eyesight can see the difference between a JET airplane and a PROP airplane.

Thats it..The public do'nt want to fly 30min in a prop, much less over a ocean even if it could with fuel...and how about ETOPS??? Maybe 20min from suitable landing strip...and I'am sure you know what ETOPS means tbonej4j?? Are you sure?? And by time a pax. reached the ground after a trip across the pond on a prop they would need a hearing aid cause they are tone deaf. :lol:

Props, Un-Ducted fans, vibrate too much :unsure: for my liking. If I had to ride on one across the pond, my few remaining teeth would fall out.....

I'd rather ride in 777. :D

flyin2low said:
Props, Un-Ducted fans, vibrate too much :unsure: for my liking. If I had to ride on one across the pond, my few remaining teeth would fall out.....

I'd rather ride in 777. :D
Having taken the 777 for the first time a couple weeks back, I can say that the 777 is a schweet plane.

Could a shroud (mask, cover, whatever) be placed around a turboprop's prop to hide the prop from the traveling public or would that disrupt its function?

If the buzzing sound could be minimized, and the interior trim securely fastened, would the pax have any idea it was actually a turboprop?

FWIW, the RR engines on AA's 777s actually buzz quite loudly at takeoff (and to a lesser extent, the GE's on the 767). More than once, a seatmate has asked me what that buzzing sound is. I tell them it is the giant propeller that propels the airplane. Usually they never speak to me again for the remainder of the flight. B)

All things considered, I do wish they would consider the Q400 variant of the Dash 8. I have flown on one of the PDT Dash 8-Q200's ( I think they had 2). It was very quiet, and I think would be acceptable to most passengers. The airplane is just about as fast as an RJ on most stages (remember that in the northeast corridor, many flights are deliberately slowed for flow control), and can operate into some short fields.

Of course to successfully operate such an aircraft would require a marketing effort--so there goes that idea--perhaps if they ever get a REAL marketing department....

<_<

Economics
The Q400 offers passengers the highest levels of comfort while offering airlines some of the lowest operating costs per seat in the regional aircraft market. In a typical scenario, the Q400 requires under 30 passengers to break even. Every passenger after that is profit. All the speed and performance of a jet, with the economic thrift of a turboprop!

For airlines already operating smaller Q Series Dash 8 aircraft, there's another economic benefit in adding the Q400. Despite its increased capacity, speed and range, the Q400 has been certificated as a Dash 8, which means the aircraft can be flown by the same pilots. This provides Q Series family operators with substantial savings in pilot training costs, along with much greater flexibility in scheduling. :up:

Me:
Same type rating as the other Dash 8's, only differences training is needed and they could be online in a flash. This is at almost no training costs when compared to that of launching a new aircraft type.

Dave, maybe we should try a few and see how well they are accepted by our customers. We sure need to try something! :shock:

I hate to rain on this thread, but I think you guys are wasting your time. Even if Dave decided that the Q would be a great addition to the fleet, he's already been quoted saying that the turbo-prop days are over. Imagine what an idiot he would look like now if he went and bought some. Something tells me that Dave would'nt be to keen on looking like a fool.

Your second problem is people. Most don't understand these new generation props and the saftey, comfort, and speed they provide. I currently fly the 328prop, and people still get on and #### about the props. Even though the 328 trues out at 335 knots, cruises at 31,000ft., and does it with some of the quietest cabins in the Groups fleet. As long as it has props, people will still ####.

Your third problem is where we fly. Remember that no matter how fast you are, a turbo-prop route is a turbo-prop route. As long as there are slower turbo-props flying, your bound to get stuck behind one and slowed for spacing. Trust me it happens to us everyday. And you won't be close to the airport when it happens either. So there goes the whole speed thing. All across the NE, 328s are turned into Dashes with the push of a button 100 miles from the airport.

On another note just to correct something someone said earlier. The Q400s max altitude is not 35,000ft. Its 25,000ft. and has the option of being able to go to 27,000ft.

And on a second note, I wish all my brothers and sisters at ALG and PDT all the best. I know that things look grim for both of your companys, but I still feel that all three WO's will pull out of this mess together and in one piece. Please know that there is a large group of us at PSA who are trying to do the right thing by you both and hopefully you will see that soon.

Bored said:

"Even if Dave decided that the Q would be a great addition to the fleet, he's already been quoted saying that the turbo-prop days are over. Imagine what an idiot he would look like now if he went and bought some. Something tells me that Dave would'nt be to keen on looking like a fool."

Maybe you haven't noticed, but if something doesn't change, that is if USAirways doesn't turn around and start making money, the jet days will be over too! Dave will look more like a fool then.

Be careful that you don't start feeling too cozy about the RJ's. I'm more worried about the survival of USAirways overall. The way things now appear, without a change, the current turboprops will be around as long as or longer than the mother company! :eek:

You also have to remember that even if Dave wanted the 400's he couldn't get them. There is alittle thing called the scope clause and the Airways boys made sure of that. Started out with seats then weight the 400 has to much of both.