"ethics Program"

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Someone over at the Flyertalk discussion board suggested that customers who have been especially impressed by the service provided by a UAIR employee might consider, given the (what the poster perceived as) lack of a proper compnay employee recognition scheme, sending or giving the employee a small token of appreciation such as Starbuck certificate. The poster said this would be in additon to a complimentary letter or certificate of excellence.

Question for those employees who have attended the mandated two hour "Ethics Class". Is such a gesture of appprecation, be it Starbucks card or just a cuppa, be allowed under the new and improved ethics guidelines?
Someone who attended this class said that an employee could not even accept a cup of coffee.

Many companies consider gifts of less than $25.00 in value as having "token" value only and it would not be a conflict of interest to accept it.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Someone over at the Flyertalk discussion board suggested that customers who have been especially impressed by the service provided by a UAIR employee might consider, given the (what the poster perceived as) lack of a proper compnay employee recognition scheme, sending or giving the employee a small token of appreciation such as Starbuck certificate. The poster said this would be in additon to a complimentary letter or certificate of excellence.

Question for those employees who have attended the mandated two hour "Ethics Class". Is such a gesture of appprecation, be it Starbucks card or just a cuppa, be allowed under the new and improved ethics guidelines?
Someone who attended this class said that an employee could not even accept a cup of coffee.

Many companies consider gifts of less than $25.00 in value as having "token" value only and it would not be a conflict of interest to accept it.
If it comes from a customer who isn't a corporate exec with a large US contract, then they should...employees who provide exceptional service deserve something to smile about :D

With all the cuts we have taken, and more to come, why not let the f/a's accept tips? If I am doing a much better job than the others, many who are bitter or mean, why not be rewarded for an exeptional job? Don't tell me about class or any such as that. It went out the door a long time ago. :(

firstamendment said:
With all the cuts we have taken, and more to come, why not let the f/a's accept tips? If I am doing a much better job than the others, many who are bitter or mean, why not be rewarded for an exeptional job? Don't tell me about class or any such as that. It went out the door a long time ago. :(
that may not be a good idea as management may want more than half of the tips!

firstamendment said:
First,

I agree with our thinking. In fact, it was brought up to managment when the staffing was reduced and meals brought back on.

They said..."no".

I don’t think Don’t call me Shirley was talking about tips here. As one of the ones who posted on the thread referenced, I had never thought of the possible problems caused by what I considered was a simple thank you. I appreciate the question being asked here.

I take the ladies in my home club a 4 pound bag of Jelly Beans about every other month or so. These ladies have become friends over the years, are always very pleasant and go above and beyond when it comes to customer service. I have also taken a bag to the ticket counter and the gate agents from time to time. Last week when I gave a bag to the T/A’s and G/A’s my comment was along the lines of “I know things are tough right now, but you folks are the best in the business and I just wanted to say thanks for all you do. Keep your heads up!â€￾ The smiles where worth it all!

If an $8.00 bag of jelly beans is going to get an employee in trouble, then I have a real problem with it. I will not stop doing it, but I will be a lot more careful about how they are given to them. BTW, I have never asked any of these folks to do anything against the rules, nor have they, for those folks who think all CP’s are after something for free. It was simply a VFF who happens to care about the folks who work at this station and I wanted to brighten their day!

Is this really against the new ethics policy

I'll bet that if someone had a "usaviation appreciation night" at Fred's that more than a few people (not US Airways employees, of course :D ) would show up.

Gives me an idea for the next time I'm in that neck of the woods.....

I agree with l4pi.

There is a great business here in JAX that makes chocolate covered popcorn. The plant is actually within walking distance of your long overnight hotel.

The employees of US Airways take great care of me and my family. A call from a gate agent that I'm going to bust my connection, an overnight flight to Europe or a turn in the Carribean are great reasons for me to take a $12 bag of popcorn for employees to share (Ha l4, take a bigger bag :) ). I'm already sitting up front and only take a carry-on, so it's not a bribe.

You, the employees, have had very tough times. A little respect, a thank you and a small gift of thanks are the least that I can do. Many thanks for getting me where I need to go, safely and on-time.

There is no ethical dilemma here. Just great service.

P.S. I teach professional ethics. In my opinion, this one isn't even a gray area.

managment gets tips from the working employees everyday for the next 5 years! remember 2 wage cut sessions?? and now a possible third! and they are worried someone may take a 5 dollar tip for doing an exceptional job ?? unbelievable!!