Eulegy For Ilm

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
As of June 2nd, the fleet service agents in ILM will be outsourced.

Most of the agents have more than 25 years of service. They all started in their teens and early twenties. Nearly all are choosing furlough, as opposed to transfer.

Most are old PI, and have maintained that can-do spirit until the very end. Until very recently, ILM’s stats were among the best on the system. The agents were self-motivated and needed no supervision. They anticipated problems, and frequently solved them before they occurred. Had they not loved living in Wilmington so well, many would have gone on to become fine managers. But the beaches, the rivers and Southern courtesy were too strong a pull. Here they stayed, and here they will get on with their post-US lives.

They shared the history of ILM as a point of pride. On February 20th 1948, a DC-3 from ILM made Piedmont’s maiden voyage. Many of the current agents made friends with and were trained by the employees of that inaugural flight. All shared a deep affection and abiding respect for the founder of Piedmont, Tom Davis.

At one time, ILM was a crew and maintenance base. The crews, mechanics and agents were top flight. They regarded one another as family, and looked out one for the other. They flew the blue PI Speedbird license tag on the front of their cars. Soon, their friends and relatives had to have one, too. If you saw a Speedbird broken down on the side of the road, it would not be long before another Speedbird pulled in to help. Even if you did not know the driver, you stopped. It was a family matter.

Though brokenhearted at the loss of their beloved airline, the ILM crew accepted the reality of the merger, and threw their energy into it. When U lost operational control of the airline in 1989, ILM crews, mechanics and agents would piece together ‘cancelled’ flights. Non-rev flight attendants and pilots would fly the trips.

When SABRE was implemented, practically all flights across the system were delayed due to SABRE failures. ILM flights departed on-time, because the agents anticipated the problem and executed the manual fall-back procedures. This, over the express objections of middle management, who advised ILM to “let the system work.â€￾

Now all of that is passing. Had management worked as diligently to operate this airline, as ILM did to operate their station, it would not have come to this.

But come to this, it finally has.

To the ILM crew, you were the very finest.

Keep flying the Speedbird. If you have a flat, I’ll pull in and lend a hand.

It is sad to see this happen to the ILM Station. This same situation is taking place at many other of the original PI & AL Stations around the System. This just goes to show that Management could care less about the loyal and dedicated employees that it has/had around the System. All of us had a time when we were proud to work for this Airline, but now most are ashamed to admit we work here.
The people who built this Airline are getting tossed out the door Station by Station.

Yes sir you are so correct and all those senior agents should give thanks that such a great leader and airline visionary as Uncle Ed C took them down the path we know now so well. Geeez if I had only listened to Capt Rick Miller in 727 recurrent in KINT that fateful day.

Thank you for your beautiful analogy of ILM, so TRUE.!! However, i must point out my furlough starts June 6. I am currently employed in ILM Fleet Service. My station manager, MS. T, informed us that JETSTREAM would take over ILM on June 6, 2005.

quote=diogenes,Apr 7 2005, 06:59 PM
<<As of June 2nd, the fleet service agents in ILM will be outsourced.

Most are old PI, and have maintained that can-do spirit until the very end. Until very recently, ILM’s stats were among the best on the system. The agents were self-motivated and needed no supervision. They anticipated problems, and frequently solved them before they occurred. Had they not loved living in Wilmington so well, many would have gone on to become fine managers. But the beaches, the rivers and Southern courtesy were too strong a pull. Here they stayed, and here they will get on with their post-US lives.>>

diogenes,

What classy dialogue.

My years at Piedmont were among the best of my life. I can still remember, early in my career, a crusty old captain I flew with asking Atlanta Center for "direct WW" late one night, and their reply "cleared direct Wonderful Wilmington". Now I know why.

I don't think I'll ever be able to forget that fateful day in August 1989 when the world seemed to fall apart. What a sad, tortuous descent it has been. Thinking back, its hard to remember a day's peace on this property since then.

Their "cool northern efficiency" tripple oxymoron has come back to haunt them.

Interesting, JETSTREAM got the cleaning work in CLT also. One of the US Foreman retired in CLT and is now running Jetstream's operation in CLT.

Oh what a tangled web they weave.

700UW said:
Interesting, JETSTREAM got the cleaning work in CLT also. One of the US Foreman retired in CLT and is now running Jetstream's operation in CLT.

Oh what a tangled web they weave.
[post="261226"][/post]​
fuuny thing in PIT....furloughed cleaners showing up as supervisory for new outsourced cleaning crews.....think they connected too??
go by the name of dick buttkiss

sad to see that happen to you folks in ILM. AS of june 6th, ABE will be taken over by Piedmont Airlines. Good Luck to All Of You in ILM.

Thank all of you for the kind words.

Mr. Moderator, how can I change the topic title to 'Elegy for ILM'?

Some days my proofreading leaves something to be desired.

ILMgwm, I stand corrected. The verbal I got had it 6/2/05.

Having it on 6/6 is both appropriate, and twisted, considering the historical significance of that day. Bet the Palace got their jollies figuring that out.

CHS last day is MAY 8. A couple of people are staying with the vendor, a couple are taking the transfer and everybody else is leaving. As I walk the airport talking to other airline employees, airport authority cleaning and maintenance crews even the folks working the newstand, all I hear is how sorry they are to see us go. In April of 1985 a core of Piedmont employees opened the terminal and that same core has kept it going. In a way I'm glad that U has treated us as balance sheet liabilities over the last few years since it makes it easier to leave.
My prospective employer told me that U's lost was his gain, isn't that a novel thought. Even though I'm a little anxious there's this great feeling of liberation. I have had great fun and enjoyment first in customer service and then operations and ramp, I hope the 8.00 agents with 670.00 family insurance monthly payments feel the same way.

It seems that the W/O Carriers are taking over the operation is several stations. In our station they were not even in the running until the last minute. I believe that this was a late effort by the Company to keep some of thier trained employees onboard. The W/O's are offering a higher rate of pay to those that stay along with a decent benefit package as well. The wages are in line with what the MLE agents were getting. It looks like the Company wins again if they keep the same people working after they were outsourced. I know there are a lot of employees who know nothing else but this career, but I find it difficult to provide your services to the same Company that didn't want you anymore.

Best of luck to you all. GSO's last day is May 15th. I just realized that I will be arriving back there on the final RON a/c of the evening.

God help us all when the ground damage starts...

Jetstream starts 5/16.

yep and when the damage piles up, it'll be the ccy idiots saying " oh my, oh my, i thought we would have saved money by getting rid of the employees."

Latest posts