The agent group and the unions

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
The only time I have seen in the airline industry where you did not have to join a union is when the IBT and US Airways (Allegheny at the time) cut a deal with each other to not have a vote if the cities of BOS BUF PIT PHL could be union and the rest of the systems be non-union. Then the US-PI-PSA merge and the NMB rule to have a vote. PI agents thought PI management was great and a union was not needed a vote was taken and no 50+1% WELL WELL a lot changed with PSA and US management in the picture and IAM and Related went on strike and every employee group being represented except the agent group. The union groups got raises kept their pension and had no layoff provisions and enjoyed favorable benefits and work rules. The agent group got frozen pay and cut benefits and changed work rules and every thing else that goes with EMPLOYED AT WILL .The agent group had a lot to do with keeping the airline going in the late 80’s into the 90’s.I only hope the agent group(S) at US/HP now get the picture. Management will try to wear us down because we are the new kid’s on the block. A lot of young I just want the flying benefits agents around that scare the union leaders. A vote would be very risky.

The only time I have seen in the airline industry where you did not have to join a union is when the IBT and US Airways (Allegheny at the time) cut a deal with each other to not have a vote if the cities of BOS BUF PIT PHL could be union and the rest of the systems be non-union. Then the US-PI-PSA merge and the NMB rule to have a vote. PI agents thought PI management was great and a union was not needed a vote was taken and no 50+1% WELL WELL a lot changed with PSA and US management in the picture and IAM and Related went on strike and every employee group being represented except the agent group. The union groups got raises kept their pension and had no layoff provisions and enjoyed favorable benefits and work rules. The agent group got frozen pay and cut benefits and changed work rules and every thing else that goes with EMPLOYED AT WILL .The agent group had a lot to do with keeping the airline going in the late 80’s into the 90’s.I only hope the agent group(S) at US/HP now get the picture. Management will try to wear us down because we are the new kid’s on the block. A lot of young I just want the flying benefits agents around that scare the union leaders. A vote would be very risky.
My friend check for union updates GO TO WWW.CWALOCAL2000.COM OR WWW.CWALOCAL3640.COM OR WWW.CWALOCAL3641.COM. Philjr B)

Then the US-PI-PSA merge and the NMB rule to have a vote. PI agents thought PI management was great and a union was not needed a vote was taken and no 50+1%

For your "history" lesson, the US/PSA vote was won by a margain of 4 votes. Then the merger with PI came about and a new election was ordered by the NMB. So there were actually 2 votes involved, not one. The IBT didn't pull it's own weight and then blamed PI for losing the election.

If the IBT was so almighty in 1989, they would have carried the US/PSA vote by a far more majority than 4 votes.

At the time, the IBT had a bad reputation with it's own members, thus causing it's own demise. They should have won easily, but couldn't understand the issues

Thanks for the very important details that got us to were we are now I think we all have a lot to learn

My friend check for union updates GO TO WWW.CWALOCAL2000.COM OR WWW.CWALOCAL3640.COM OR WWW.CWALOCAL3641.COM. Philjr B)
Any word on how the hearing with National Mediation Board went for the Customer Service Employee Association I know NMB granted a request by US
Airways to extend the time for the company to comment on. I hope this is not a good sign for the company. I know they have a few Bush appointees. I know the company is spending a lot of time and money trying to fight this

For your "history" lesson, the US/PSA vote was won by a margain of 4 votes. Then the merger with PI came about and a new election was ordered by the NMB. So there were actually 2 votes involved, not one. The IBT didn't pull it's own weight and then blamed PI for losing the election.

If the IBT was so almighty in 1989, they would have carried the US/PSA vote by a far more majority than 4 votes.

At the time, the IBT had a bad reputation with it's own members, thus causing it's own demise. They should have won easily, but couldn't understand the issues
I do remember all that. IBT did not handle the US/south very well with all that gutter man Conlny(sp) stuff.

The only time I have seen in the airline industry where you did not have to join a union is when the IBT and US Airways (Allegheny at the time) cut a deal with each other to not have a vote if the cities of BOS BUF PIT PHL could be union and the rest of the systems be non-union.

Just to let you know the union in qustion was not the IBT it was a off shoot of ALPA called ALEA Airline Employees Assocation it was the NMB who made the determination that BOS BUF PIT PHL those employees worked primarly outside thus classified as Fleet Service. The other cities worked more dual functions and classified as Customer Service. There were 2 elections the 4 cities voted union and the rest did not. The IBT later raided ALEA and succesfully ousted ALEA and they represented the 4 cites with one of the best contracts in the industry till the mergers and Colodnys quest to destroy all union right for fleet service. With a huge pay raise given to non union minded Piedmont most thought they didnt need a union and the IBT lost represntation rights. Things started going down hill fast after that and most would agree they made a mistake by not voting union. Once Fleet service did vote union we had lost alot already it only got worse by fleet service chosing the wrong union to represent there jobs now. We now have the IAM and AGC's who make 3 times the wages of a fleet service worker. A union leadership who cares more about raising our dues while its memebers take huge pay cuts. A union leadership that is so far disconnected from its memebers. A union leadership that does not deserve one more dollar paid to them for the contract we work under.

libertybell YOU ARE TEH MAN!Thx for the history lesson
DP you need to listen to this man about PHL it would make my job and everybody else’s a whole lot easier

libertybell YOU ARE TEH MAN!Thx for the history lesson
DP you need to listen to this man about PHL it would make my job and everybody else’s a whole lot easier
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:17 AM
We received a proposal from the Co last night. Our negotiating team will be
looking at it today and most likely get back to the Company tomorrow.

We'll report back as soon as we have further discussions with the Company.

this fro a union rep

It's sure be nice to know the company's response. Frankly aftewr having my wages frozen for two years now (and trust me, they're frozen at a LOW rate) it'd sure be nice to get on with the meatier issues now...

Company warning

Of particular interest....
"We may not perform as well financially as we expect following the merger," the company cautioned.

The integration of the two air carriers "will be costly, complex and time consuming," US Airways said, and management "will have to devote substantial effort to such integration that could otherwise be spent on operational matters or other strategic opportunities."

Substantial effort to such integration- such as fighting the CWA/IBT union? Why not take the time and money involved and do something more important and let the unions decide how they want to handle the "union" thing?
How much $ are you wasting on this little fight?
(Could the same be said for APLA/AFA/IAM/IBT? )

Latest posts