Everyone needs a mechanic, Right?

sabre

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
Outside of the workplace all of you need mechanics even pilots. How many of you need Pilots? None of you!!
I have feelings of compassion for the employees at U. I am still one of you. However, you must realize there is NOTHING a mechanic can do to fix David. Mechanics can''t fix management. mechanics can''t negotiate with lessors. What mechanics do is fix airplanes, autos, and anything else that has a runs on fuel and oil.
Also, mechanics are professionals that aren''t exlusive to the airline industry, as opposed to a pilot who is stuck in this industry rut.
What I am trying to say is that like any skilled craftsman, etc., other jobs are available. We have not limited ourselves.
Presently, U is paying just enough [barely] to keep us.
To try to bring this home to you, don''t you need a mechanic? Of course you do! Do you need a Pilot? Nope. And that''s nothing against Pilots but they have limited themselves to one industry.
I love working on jets but if I have to work on autos more than I do now then it isn''t a drop in pay or anything. yea, I will be bummed out, I like my present job but if it''s not meant to be then so be it.
As far as pilots go, who has the most to lose here and who are we fooling? If U goes belly up then who is going to pay for the lexus, second homes, lakefront properties, etc? How can they go to any more wine and cheese parties?
Again, I am not busting on pilots but rather trying to point out that Pilots aren''t as sacred as they want us to believe.
Therefore I suggest this and open it up for discussion. If U needs more cuts then I think there is reasonable assurance that Pilots will give in again [in fact I believe there is no choice about this since they have tons to lose], simply because they have more to give and more to protect. But I suggest it is now time for others not to give any more.
If I''m a Pilot I still vote no on any proposal [it''s management''s problem not the pilots] but since pilots like Chip advocate to give more then by all means let them give.

sabre,

With all due respect, while I am not debating that a mechanic's skills can transfer to other industries, good luck leaving the airlines and finding a job that will give you the pay and benefits that an airline does, especially in a recessionary economy where you're competing for jobs with thousands of former mechanics who were furloughed. In general, you may not be limited, but in this economy, I think the majority of people are limited in finding a career outside the airline industry that gives the same pay/benefits or better.

[blockquote]
----------------
sabre wrote:

Do you need a Pilot? Nope. And that's nothing against Pilots but they have limited themselves to one industry.

----------------
[/blockquote]

You might be surprised how much you use a pilot in your daily lives. About 90% of the checks that you write are hauled by pilots, A good portion of the fuel you burn comes from oil rigs that need the pilot to move the employees out there, Medevac from an auto accident requires pilots, Your auto parts that you use in your profession probably were hauled in by a pilot, Most of the mail that you send gets to its destination on an airplane.

Granted the airline industry is a niche pilot job, however I am doing just fine as a pilot without it. I currently haul a Doctor around so he can get to his patients.

Pilots are not used directly by the general public as much as mechanics, but yes even you Mr. Mechanic rely heavily on those useless pilots, just like me Mr. Pilot rely on you to fix my busted transmission!

sabre, You are making a huge assumption that pilots are ONLY pilots. In most--if not all--cases this is not the fact. We do just fine outside this wretched industry.

true, and a very good point but you are limited to flying airplanes. My point was that I am not limited to fixing just jet engines.

And the job market isn't the greatest for pilots no matter who you are flying for.

heck if you can get 4 of us to walk straight you would be doing something, let alone sharp turns.
Usually it just ends up with a few guys who just sit there on an upside down 5 gallon bucket, then it's usually off to the corner pub. Anything less wouldn't be right.
I remember Vic telling us to get up and start doing something, we all looked around, stretched out our backs and started doing the walk thing again.

While I certainly joined in on going after Chip I recognize that for every pilot like Chip there is at least one thats not like him. His own Union officially distanced themselves from him. Most of the pilots that I meet as I work are genuinely decent people. Part of the training and image of a pilot is to project confidence and competence. Its meant to reassure passengers who are about to get in a machine that goes very high and very fast. There is little room for error under these conditions. Pilots are worth every penny they get.
Mechanics pay is another issue. Our situtation is our fault. The pilots never voted on our contracts. One of the things that we could learn from the pilots is their discipline and devotion to their craft. Have you ever seen a pilot picket line? I have. Its impressive. Staight evenly spaced lines, sharp turns done with military precision. It projects professionalism. Mechanics on the other hand have never made that type of impression.
I agree that mechanics should not give back. I think that Chip got the message as far as the willingness of people who are just getting by being willing to give more to secure his living standards.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/29/2002 10:21:02 AM UAL777flyer wrote:

sabre,

With all due respect, while I am not debating that a mechanic's skills can transfer to other industries, good luck leaving the airlines and finding a job that will give you the pay and benefits that an airline does, especially in a recessionary economy where you're competing for jobs with thousands of former mechanics who were furloughed. In general, you may not be limited, but in this economy, I think the majority of people are limited in finding a career outside the airline industry that gives the same pay/benefits or better.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Actually, after the force majeure lay-offs last year, many of us in maintenance saw the talented technicians in the layed-offed ranks get good positions elsewhere. It's hard to ignore when these folks suggest that maybe one should look at moving out of the airlines and to leave the airlines with those who wouldn't be able to support themselves anywhere else. So, be careful when you suggest that those who are unhappy in the airlines just quit. You may not like who you are left with.