Evv To Pit Discontinued 9/7

fly clt

Mar 3, 2004
Another route discontinued from PIT 9/7 to EVV. However, EVV to CLT begins 9/8 in its place. Good news for CLT!!! Wonder what city from PIT is the next to go? Here is the new CLT-EVV service:

US Airways Express
CLT
EVV
1045A
1128A
ERJ
View
View

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Airways Express
CLT
EVV
310P
343P
ERJ
View
View

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US Airways Express
CLT
EVV
835P
916P
ERJ

orville said:
MEM is also leaving the PIT system that same day...
You know that Faberman of ACAA is likely to make a big deal out of that. U doing NW a favor by leaving it to a market for leasing NW's slots at DCA to U. At least that theory has been put forward by somebody in the past.

MEM is also leaving the PIT system that same day...

Besides the PIT downsizing, NW also recently started MEM-PIT, which surely helped US's decision to cut it.

Also, Latrobe saw its last U flight on Fri 7/9

That was Latrobe's last scheduled air service. :(

Lancaster, however, is about to regain its service. :)

Reading, however, is about to lose its air service. :(

Keeping track?

US is reacting to market forces that are making flying into those cities unprofitable, at least with the catchment areas of the PHL and CLT hubs.

TOL on 7/31 with no other service. TOTally gone!

Just to be clear, TOL has plenty of service from other carriers. For those cities in PA that I pointed out, US is all they've got...so when US leaves they have no more service from anyone.

Also, I'll point out as I have in the past that US does not control where the non-wholly owned props fly. The decisions on service to places like LBE/LNS/RDG is made by Colgan and Air Midwest. (Though, obviously, if US really wanted to keep TOL or FWA in the system, they could've sent an RJ or a Dash 8 there.)

Wow, if Colgan or Air Midwest can't make money in those cities with the low wages they pay, then leaving the US network probably makes sense. My guess, though, is US was unwilling/unable to pay more for the service, so therefore those other carriers drop the city.

Wow, if Colgan or Air Midwest can't make money in those cities with the low wages they pay, then leaving the US network probably makes sense. My guess, though, is US was unwilling/unable to pay more for the service, so therefore those other carriers drop the city.

US doesn't pay for the service.

The non-wholly owned turboprops (Air Midwest B1900s, Colgan B1900s and Saab 340s, Shuttle America Saab 340s, Trans States J41s) are operated on a pro-rate basis. The Express carrier determines schedule and pricing. US just receives a percentage of the fare. The Express carrier holds all of the risk here, which is why Air Midwest is moving so much of its flying into EAS markets.

The non-wholly owned RJs (Chautauqua ERJs, Mesa CRJs and ERJs, Trans States ERJs) are operated on a capacity purchase agreement. US determines the schedule and pricing, and pays for all the costs of the flight, plus a profit margin for the Express carrier. Then US keeps the difference in fares paid less the money paid to the Express carrier. (Hopefully a positive number.)

Why can't these carriers make money with the low wages? No one flies from these cities. For instance, Air Midwest's PIT-DUJ service attracts a whopping 40% load factor. That's why they'd lose $643,818 every year flying to DuBois if the service weren't EAS subsidized.

RDG and LBE are too close to PHL and PIT, respectively, to receive EAS funding, so they're losing service. LNS qualifies for it, so Air Midwest is starting there.

Some months ago there was a link to article from a trade publication (no, I can't remember which one!) about small communities losing all air service. The towns profiled were within a three- four hour drive of airports with an LCC presence. There simply were not enough customers willing to pay for flying into these towns compared to the people willing to drive three hours.

One town was in New Mexico (Clovis?), with ABQ some three hours away. While EAS continues to pay for service to many of these towns, there are many who consider EAS subsidies to be pork barrell spending. Sometimes there are more TSA screeners on duty than there are passengers embarking.

As the airline system continues to evolve, will places like Rutland, VT or Kearney, NE contunie to have any sort of airline service?

fly clt said:
Another route discontinued from PIT 9/7 to EVV. However, EVV to CLT begins 9/8 in its place. Good news for CLT!!! Wonder what city from PIT is the next to go? Here is the new CLT-EVV service:
Where is EVV? Thanks -Cape