Pit Loses Blf/bkw Service

Colgan currently provides EAS service from BLF and BKW to PIT as US Airways Express. That service was up for renewal. There were multiple different options offered by Colgan, as well as by Air Midwest and Corporate.

The DOT (as well as the communities) seemed to support a Colgan proposal to fly BLF/BKW-CLT. However, US Airways stated that they would not allow Colgan to fly CLT-BLF/BKW as US Airways Express, but that they would permit BLF/BKW-IAD/CMH to be flown as US Airways Express. I don't understand that even a little bit. (Note that Colgan's operations are all pro-rate and US Airways is not at any financial risk should the flights be empty.) One would certainly think that US Airways would want the additional feed at CLT. Apparently not. :unsure:

ringmaruf said:
Colgan currently provides EAS service from BLF and BKW to PIT as US Airways Express. That service was up for renewal. There were multiple different options offered by Colgan, as well as by Air Midwest and Corporate.

The DOT (as well as the communities) seemed to support a Colgan proposal to fly BLF/BKW-CLT. However, US Airways stated that they would not allow Colgan to fly CLT-BLF/BKW as US Airways Express, but that they would permit BLF/BKW-IAD/CMH to be flown as US Airways Express. I don't understand that even a little bit. (Note that Colgan's operations are all pro-rate and US Airways is not at any financial risk should the flights be empty.) One would certainly think that US Airways would want the additional feed at CLT. Apparently not. :unsure:
OK I am lost. IAD? Are we now making up for ACA's pull from United? Once again no clear picture presented. :wacko:

As I recall, US used to operate some Express service like this from IAD. I must admit not feeding CLT seems strange, but who knows ...

US at one time (99 and 2000) had a huge Express operation at IAD, handled by Piedmont for about a year. When Colgan joined as a US Express carrier, these flights were flown out of IAD. Who knows, maybe they are going to rebuild IAD like the did back in 99 and 2000. It was always busy and flights were always full for the most part.

:eek: ..Did you say full flights? Well, hey, we should think about that again. Let'see, full flights MIGHT mean we could: 1. Make money. 2. Run into oversales problems. 3. Bring the need for larger aircraft into the picture. 4. etc.
...Nah, let's don't do it if it will created the above . :D

CMH's O&D isn't much smaller than PIT's. Maybe the Colgan service is an indication that UAIR will do some p2p flying out of CMH, replacing America West's old service to LAX, for example.

AviationNewbie said:
US at one time (99 and 2000) had a huge Express operation at IAD, handled by Piedmont for about a year. When Colgan joined as a US Express carrier, these flights were flown out of IAD. Who knows, maybe they are going to rebuild IAD like the did back in 99 and 2000. It was always busy and flights were always full for the most part.
The flights may have been handled by Piedmont, but they were operated by CommutAir. Probably about 60 or 70 daily B1900 flights.

IAD-BKW-BLF was done by Colgan. I think everyone had a piece of the IAD pie then. I remember seeing 328's, Dash's, 1900's(Colgan and Commutair).

On the PIT vs CMH, with CLT thrown in for comparison, their 3rd quarter O&D for 2003 in markets with more than 20 pax per day was:

PIT 1.390 million
CMH 1.112 million
CLT 986 thousand

Of interest, comparing 2002 with 2003, CMH lost almost 200K pax and PIT gained almost 200K pax. Thus in 2002, CMH was bigger than PIT.

Source: DOT Consumer Fare Report