Executive treatment

When I worked at JFK, it wasn't uncommon to have us on a diversion alert when LGA was in the crapper. Flight plans were routinely filed xxx-JFK-LGA, and they'd "overfly" JFK once the ground stop opened up.

Most times it worked. And there were times we ended up with MD80's and F100's on the ground at JFK, which was a bit of a problem considering we didn't have too many people qualified on them...

As for the APA's position.... these are the same guys who claimed Arpey flew to SJU on a corporate jet instead of on AA, which was proven to be a manufactured inaccuracy (i.e. outright lie).

When I worked at JFK, it wasn't uncommon to have us on a diversion alert when LGA was in the crapper. Flight plans were routinely filed xxx-JFK-LGA, and they'd "overfly" JFK once the ground stop opened up.

Most times it worked. And there were times we ended up with MD80's and F100's on the ground at JFK, which was a bit of a problem considering we didn't have too many people qualified on them...

As for the APA's position.... these are the same guys who claimed Arpey flew to SJU on a corporate jet instead of on AA, which was proven to be a manufactured inaccuracy (i.e. outright lie).

So you should be fully aware that everybody and their mother will know if an AA "big shot" is flying out on certain trip...All of a sudden you see "extra" management around that flight ensuring the "right" people are assigned to it...
Instead of letting the big shots see first hand a "normal" flight being handled, the powers that be will do whatever possible to please that person and "sugar coat" an otherwise lackluster performance.

Honestly, as someone who has done A LOT of flights between ORD-LGA, this is a common occurrence. The more clever pilots usually figure if they can get us into NY airspace they can then request to go to the original airport. I've even flown ORD-JFK which was supposed to be LGA via DC airspace to get around bad weather and then had us cleared into LGA. LGA simply sucks.

I feel for EVERYONE trying to make it in or out of JFK or LGA tonight. WOW. Bad, bad, bad storms going on.

Latest posts