F/A Cross-utilization / DOM to INTL / Prevents Recalls

Dec 5, 2006
From the APFA website:

"Also, another reminder about the tests in effect beginning December 2, 2006, including Option II Trips for International to Domestic and vice versa as well as Reserve Trip Trading throughout the contractual month of December. Please visit apfa.org and click on Letters of Agreement, then Scheduling Letters of Agreement to review these tests."[/b] :down:

Contractual changes as a "Letter of Agreement" ??????

This is the norm with this administration...Letters of Agreement. Whatever happened to consulting the membership before selling your soul to the devil. It seems Tommie or whomever at APFA has e.s.p. and already knows what we want without consulting us.

This is the norm with this administration...Letters of Agreement. Whatever happened to consulting the membership before selling your soul to the devil. It seems Tommie or whomever at APFA has e.s.p. and already knows what we want without consulting us.
:unsure: :shock:
Maybe you guys need a union that does something that benefits its members?

:unsure: :shock:
Maybe you guys need a union that does something that benefits its members?

Your mouth to God's ear, AMEN. However, from what I can gather, very few people fly that DOM/INTL/DOM Option II thing and it is only valid a few months out of the year. What we really need to be concerned about it systemwide cross-utilization, i.e. we are ALL qualified to fly everything. That would not only prevent recalls, but would probably bring about more furloughs.

In exchange for the concession, why didn't the APFA shoot for cockpit jumpseat for its members after AA pilots?

I work nights and have yet to use a dom for intl or Intl for Dom.

As for having one FA pool, god forbid a company utilize it’s employees in the most efficient way possible.

We would love to see one FA pool. But alas, it make to much sense to it will never happen.

As for having one FA pool, god forbid a company utilize it’s employees in the most efficient way possible.

We would love to see one FA pool. But alas, it make to much sense to it will never happen.

I'd hate to see one pool for lineholders because it would mean that I'd get the biggest domestic garbage going after all the senior people pick through all the good stuff.

What I would love to see is all reserves having to be qualified on all the equipment that THEIR BASE flies. That way I could know that if I am number 10 to be called out that it is a true number and probably cut down on the amount of reserves needed.

Garfield,
I recall the company studied the possibility of merging the divisions during our 1986-87 contract negotiations. The company concluded the training would prove cost-prohibitive and nixed the idea. I don't know if they would still feel this way especially with so much training done on-line these days. The downside for the flight attendant corps would be additional furloughs and the death knell for any hope of recalls.

Peace,
Art Tang
IMA

With all due respect this is only for Option II. If nobody takes it on Option II then it will go to a reserve. Increased flexibility is not something I'm going to comlain about. Option II trips are nice for high time flyers why not give them the option of a domestic or International trip if its available? Its only available after its been offered to the original base first so I don't see where this is a bad thing. This has no bearing on who gets recalled as the trip would go to a reserve otherwise. I applaude APFA for finding ways to increase flexablity for us. This was a no cost item that helps us.

With all due respect this is only for Option II. If nobody takes it on Option II then it will go to a reserve. Increased flexibility is not something I'm going to comlain about. Option II trips are nice for high time flyers why not give them the option of a domestic or International trip if its available? Its only available after its been offered to the original base first so I don't see where this is a bad thing. This has no bearing on who gets recalled as the trip would go to a reserve otherwise. I applaude APFA for finding ways to increase flexablity for us. This was a no cost item that helps us.

Not so fast, MiAAmi. This LOA is but yet another inducement/opportunity for a line holder to pick up a trip therefore covering time that otherwise would have gone to a reserve. The higher the reserve utilization, the more likely the need for additional reserves. The lower the reserve utilization, the less likely the need for additional reserves. It's not rocket science.

I grant you flexibility is a nice thing to have, but in my opinion, not if it comes at the expense of a fellow APFA member's job.

Believe it or not, there was a time in the not so distant past that a union discouraged workers from voluntarily flying overtime while fellow union members were out on furlough. It is pretty obvious that to do otherwise is not in keeping with one of the overriding principles of unionism - full employment.

Really, it's all a matter values. By your words and your deeds, you have revealed yours.

You merged with many carriers, and never considered DOH, and you are now worried about selling your "soul to the devil?" Hmm.... ;)

You merged with many carriers, and never considered DOH, and you are now worried about selling your "soul to the devil?" Hmm.... ;)

I never merged with anyone. If it was up to me, I would have left those other carriers alone. But I also understand in this industry it is eat or be eaten, ala Delta's situation. I am talking about how the union has been "agreeing" with the company on almost everything the company comes to the union with. I am not going to have one of a thousand debates over DOH with you because it has been "debated" into the ground. It has happened and the powers that be have made their decisions. We need to live with that and move on. Being bitter and angry will just cause you stress. I was furloughed myself. I know it is painful but it was years ago.

It's not rocket science.

Really, it's all a matter values. By your words and your deeds, you have revealed yours.

No its not rocket science. But can you estimate how many f/a's are going to take advantage of picking up an Option II trip that is still avail after the original base has had a chance to pick and choose over it. Not many if any at all. Just like Garfield said he has had no takers. Before you started judging my values start doing a little thinking for yourself - "its not rocket science" after all.

No its not rocket science. But can you estimate how many f/a's are going to take advantage of picking up an Option II trip that is still avail after the original base has had a chance to pick and choose over it. Not many if any at all. Just like Garfield said he has had no takers. Before you started judging my values start doing a little thinking for yourself - "its not rocket science" after all.

Actually, it is not pertinent to the point I was trying to make if 1 or 1000 flight attendants has utilized this increased "flexibility.â€￾ The fact that this new found "flexibility" disproportionately benefits the company and as a consequence, adversely affects the furloughed APFA member’s opportunity to return to work is the issue.

APFA's neglect of its furloughed members needs in favor of the active members "flexibility" should be an affront to all those who proclaim themselves unionists. We’re talking about someone’s job not whether or not you can drop or pick up a trip so as to make a hair appointment or attend junior’s recital.

Unity pays? Yeah, if you are AA duping the unwitting APFA leaders and membership into conspiring to avoid a recall of "activist" furloughed APFA members through LOA's such as this. It pays well.

By virtue of the fact that the membership does not even consider these issues before cheerleading for this “flexibilityâ€￾ demonstrates their callus disregard for fellow APFA brothers and sisters negatively impacted by its existence. That is a display of values; not mine, but yours.

Latest posts

Back