F/a Vol Furl Limited Recall

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Vol. furloughs are offered when there is an overage and the company is trying to avoid involuntary furlough of those who wish to stay but are junior. If I am understanding this correctly, US Airways is offering voluntary furloughs and recalling involuntaries (from the thread about the forced transfers to LGA) at the same time????? :huh:

To clarify, this is to Usairways advantage. If they were to simply offer a vol. furlough, all who took it could come back at the rate of pay they left with. If and only "IF" they need you to come back on a VFLR and you have 20 years you come back as a new hire with the only exception of no probationary period. You lose all seniority and pay. Who in their right mind would do that. Well, the company is banking on that. The fact that they even offer you "Possible" chance later is something not usually heard of. It will be interesting to see who and how many scoot.

Travelpro72 said:
To clarify, this is to Usairways advantage. If they were to simply offer a vol. furlough, all who took it could come back at the rate of pay they left with. If and only "IF" they need you to come back on a VFLR and you have 20 years you come back as a new hire with the only exception of no probationary period. You lose all seniority and pay. Who in their right mind would do that. Well, the company is banking on that. The fact that they even offer you "Possible" chance later is something not usually heard of. It will be interesting to see who and how many scoot.
[post="253824"][/post]​

My understaning, and PitBull can correct me if I am wrong, is that it is a BUYOUT but AFA wanted it worded in such a way that those taking the buyout (aka VFLR) might be able to collect unemployment benefits. This is what the company and the union came up with. It's not so much to keep the door open, or even a benefit to the company, as much as it is a way to possibly give people UC benefits.

jimntx said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought Vol. furloughs are offered when there is an overage and the company is trying to avoid involuntary furlough of those who wish to stay but are junior. If I am understanding this correctly, US Airways is offering voluntary furloughs and recalling involuntaries (from the thread about the forced transfers to LGA) at the same time????? :huh:
[post="253817"][/post]​
It's to the company's advantage too that they bring people back at a lower rate fo pay. To answer why they will furlough and bring back at the same time...they will have to pay moving expenses as well to the displaced flight attendants. They will actually get invols to come back that will accept LGA as a base whereas others are more likely to quit and they will eventually have to recall anyway.
As far as the buy-out and the company banking on it... TONS of f/as have been waiting for this. It will be more than anyone expected.

I think your right Twicebaked. Alot more than than the 500 they want may take this. People are done. For instance, I was displaced in June of 2003 to PHL from PIT. Missed the cut by a handfull of people. I pay $2,600.00 a year in rent at my crashpad. I can't get over 3 trips on int'l and live off guarantee. To say "Broke" is an understatement. I have friends that are gonna bolt. I'm one of the hopefulls that are waiting to climb up the ladder. I hope when I get high enough its not a cliff I'm gonna fall off of. And I say that I don't gamble. LOL

TravelPro72
You mean you were displaced from PIT to PHL. :rolleyes: We could only be so lucky huh? I am thinking the same that you are. I have stuggled for 6 years now and I am NOT throwing in the towel. It has to get better at some point. If it doesn't...well then I learned alot from the fight.

jimntx said:
[post="253817"][/post]​

jimntx,

This should clarifiy........from Biz Journal

US Airways seeks to cut 500 attendants

US Airways Group Inc. has offered voluntary incentives, including $10,000 in cash, to persuade 500 flight attendants to leave the airline.

The airline (OTCBB:UAIRQ.OB), which operates its largest hub at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport, says it is too early to speculate whether it will fire flight attendants to reach the target.

Flight attendants may elect to leave the airline on June 1, Sept. 1 or Dec. 2. The company requires notification by April 20.

In addition to the $10,000 payment, voluntarily furloughed flight attendants with at least 10 years service can fly free on US Airways and will be paid for unused vacation.

Virginia-based US Airways has 5,400 flight attendants.

The furlough program is part of the Association of Flight Attendants' contract with US Airways that was ratified in January.

US Airways, which hopes to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in June, is the largest airline at Philadelphia International Airport. It employs more than 5,500 people locally.

Absolutely. To some enough is enough but I have to stick this out. We have been through alot here. I know others have been through alot in their careers but even some VERY senior f/a's on int'l say they feel sorry for what has happened to all of the invol. f/a's and those of us that are hanging on for dear life here. We have had more done to us than any experienced in the first 7 years of their careers. I feel sorry for the senior people though for the fact that many "wanted" to go but had no real reason to leave.....now they have a bit of a reason. The offers to leave that stand are not gonna be any better down the road. I think that if anyone is thinking of leaving, now is the time to do it. It's a big choice to make.

That explains the voluntary furlough side of my question, but on the other thread about the forced transfers to LGA (later rescinded), it was stated by someone (pitbull??) that people on involuntary furlough would be recalled to fill the vacancies at LGA. How can there be too many flight attendants and too few at the same time?

jimntx said:
That explains the voluntary furlough side of my question, but on the other thread about the forced transfers to LGA (later rescinded), it was stated by someone (pitbull??) that people on involuntary furlough would be recalled to fill the vacancies at LGA. How can there be too many flight attendants and too few at the same time?
[post="253871"][/post]​

I think you are hanging on to the word "furlough" it little too hard. It is really a buyout that any active flight attendant can take. The "buyout" was created so that senior, higher-paid flight attendants can leave and create openings for the lower-paid junior flight attendants to return. Now, the company does not have to return any furloughed flight attendants to service, but say, for example that 1800 people leave between the early retirements and the buyout. The company can make an evaluation at that time when they will have people leave and how many and when the furloughees will return. For instance, the company can decide it only needs 1000 people to return after the 1800 have left.

The term VFLR (with the words voluntary furlough) later evolved during the negotiation process for the sole purpose of unemployment compensation. It is highly unlikely that anyone who takes the VFLR (buyout) will actually return. The verbiage is really a matter of symantics and nothing more. Replace the word "furlough" with "buyout" and that's really what is happening here.

Regards,
DCAflyer

jimntx said:
[post="253871"][/post]​
Imbalance!! PIT is the only base that is overstaffed presently. The 500 is a result of the 11 737s that we are parking (120) and around 400 coming back in June. That brings us to just about 500. Don't forget, we lose an average of 75-100 flight attendants a month now. I would hate to think the company is finally being proactive instead of reactive....NAHHHHHHHH

DCAFlyer......Very well said. Now lets see who takes it and from what bases. This is gonna be interesting over the next two months.

Don't forget, that ANYONE that wants it can have it. However, presently the company is only allowing 500 to go this year. They have 12 months or 18 months (can't remebmer which) from the commencement of the December VFLR group to get all that signed up for it off of the property. So, it will only be extended to those who sign up by April 20, 2005 regardless if you get it in the first dates or not. If you are the bottom of the active list and want to go next year. You will have to sign up now knowing it probably won't get to you until then. It will not be offered for "new" subscribers again.

Objective

"In accordance with the Transformation Plan Agreement between AFA and the Company, the Voluntary Furlough Limited Recall (VFLR) Program will provide an opportunity for certain Flight Attendants to accept a voluntarily furlough (due to lack of work) from US Airways with limited recall rights in exchange for a cash payment and certain travel benefits, thereby reducing the number of involuntary
furloughs".

So after reading this statement......it sounds to me there will be more furloughs
coming if people do not sign up for this or am i misreading it?