F/a Seniority Committee

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
According to Seniority Committee:

By Feb. 2006, 957 US Airways Flight Attendants with more than 20 years will take the Voluntary Furlough Limited Recall package. The intent of the limited recall was for unemployment benefits and tax purposes since there was a $10,000 incentive offered along with life time flight benefits. If a VLFR flight attendant ever wanted to exercise their right to return, they would be at the bottom of the merged airline.
As this issues goes to press, US Airways just announced another 300 VFLR being offered in the arly part of next year. In addition, there are approximately 1,700 US F/A on Involuntary Furlough, with that number expected to grow by the end of the year as more aircraft are returned on the US Airways side. According to US MEC Pres Teddy Xidas that 70 flight attendants a month average are leaving US Airways as well as another group of F/As taking early retirement.

"In addition, there are approximately 1,700 US F/A on Involuntary Furlough, with that number expected to grow by the end of the year as more aircraft are returned on the US Airways side."

has the company (U) fulfilled, and therefore exhausted, their obligation to offer voluntary programs when faced with headcount reductions? if so, this possible increase in involuntary furloughs may in fact have some merit. if not, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that there would be sufficient interest in involuntary programs?
i know that the contractual language which delineates the company's obligations should a f/a headcount become necessary is inaccessibly dense and legalistic. can anybody unpack into understandable terms?
many thanks!
pjn

airlinedivalish said:

By Feb. 2006, 957 US Airways Flight Attendants with more than 20 years will take the Voluntary Furlough Limited Recall package. The intent of the limited recall was for unemployment benefits and tax purposes since there was a $10,000 incentive offered along with life time flight benefits. If a VLFR flight attendant ever wanted to exercise their right to return, they would be at the bottom of the merged airline.
As this issues goes to press, US Airways just announced another 300 VFLR being offered in the arly part of next year. In addition, there are approximately 1,700 US F/A on Involuntary Furlough, with that number expected to grow by the end of the year as more aircraft are returned on the US Airways side. According to US MEC Pres Teddy Xidas that 70 flight attendants a month average are leaving US Airways as well as another group of F/As taking early retirement.
[post="289639"][/post]​

This is true along with folks taking retirements - however we have flight attendants with a hire date of 1999 still on invol... so we have quite a few out there that are on invol.... with that being said there are a ton of people that are not coming back b/c they have other jobs etc. so I really think that regarding our invols few will come back .... so hopefully as they integrate DOH with the seniority lists it wont be too much of a disruption since alot wont come back.

airlinedivalish said:

In addition, there are approximately 1,700 US F/A on Involuntary Furlough, with that number expected to grow by the end of the year as more aircraft are returned on the US Airways side.  Accord
[post="289639"][/post]​

????? Don't be to excited with this notion! The involuntary list is NOT likely to grow as f/as are leaving in droves. I believe anybody that is presently on the property is pretty much here until they wish to leave.

goodgirl37 said:
This is true along with folks taking retirements - however we have flight attendants with a hire date of 1999 still on invol... so we have quite a few out there that are on invol.... with that being said there are a ton of people that are not coming back b/c they have other jobs etc. so I really think that regarding our invols few will come back .... so hopefully as they integrate DOH with the seniority lists it wont be too much of a disruption since alot wont come back.
[post="290491"][/post]​

There are several Ex-US flight attendants who are now employed by America West. Most of the F/As that got furloughed at US after 9-11 are now working here and most likely not going to quit. I just worked with one of them.

airlinedivalish said:
There are several Ex-US flight attendants who are now employed by America West. Most of the F/As that got furloughed at US after 9-11 are now working here and most likely not going to quit. I just worked with one of them.
[post="291011"][/post]​

I don't believe they maintained recall rights to US if they went to another airline. I am not sure. I know those who went to Southwest Airlines had to resign their post at US. I am sure though that if someone at AWA (furloughed US) has a recall at US they would take it back when they are recalled. They would have more seniority with their US hire. ???

You would have to read the new contract at US Airways, but I think at some point it was added that invols could seek work at other airlines and the resignation letters that they had to sign would not be processed.

Twicebaked said:
I don't believe they maintained recall rights to US if they went to another airline. I am not sure. I know those who went to Southwest Airlines had to resign their post at US. I am sure though that if someone at AWA (furloughed US) has a recall at US they would take it back when they are recalled. They would have more seniority with their US hire. ???
[post="291055"][/post]​
No, they do not have to resign. I have friends at AWA..they told them this " We will not be asking you to resign. We hope you like it enough to stay." So, no..AWA did not ask for resignations.

Zarah said:
You would have to read the new contract at US Airways, but I think at some point it was added that invols could seek work at other airlines and the resignation letters that they had to sign would not be processed.
[post="291445"][/post]​

You are correct that it is in the contract now, but it wasn't then. They were accepted before. From what XOXO says, AWA never asked our invols to sign a letter of resignation like SW does. Although at the time it was against policy and if found out they could have been terminated from US (even though on furlough). This was considered a conflict of interest. I am glad though that they have the choice to retain their US seniority.