FA question schedule question

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
I want to take sometime off for some classes. When ˆ checked into an educational leaves, they kind of just chuckled, They just don't offer them anymore. So can anyone tell me. What is the best way to drop a schedule? Has anyone ever tried or been able to drop there schedule into open time. Does anyone know a time or date when it is best to try to drop trips into open time?

I never really TT or OE drop so not up to date on how it all works. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how it is done but I know it can be done. I pull up skds all the time from FA's on MU who have 0.00 hrs on their skd. I am guessing TT service. I doubt you would be able to dump all your hours into open time but I might be wriong. I do not get to look at it from your side.

Hook up with a good TT svc MIA and get ready to pay for your freedom from AA. Its not impossible to do on your own thru HIBOARD, but most everyone I know needing time off for classes etc uses a service.

I wouldn't count on OT drops..

Be aware of your rolling 12 months look back, and if taking a month or consecutive shorter LOAs in a row, the ramifications of being off payroll 30 plus days..
Contact Contract Desk at APFA for help, I have found them to be very resourceful..
good luck, it can be done..!

Your best bet would be a trip trade service. They might not charge to drop, depends on how they structure the services in MIA/IMA. I wouldn't count on dropping anything into open time. I am always trying to trade with open time, and once or twice a year it tells me I can drop it into open time. Of course I do, then worry about it later. There is always MU and highboard to replace it. Anyways, good luck with it. I would just find a good service.

Your best bet would be a trip trade service. They might not charge to drop, depends on how they structure the services in MIA/IMA. I wouldn't count on dropping anything into open time. I am always trying to trade with open time, and once or twice a year it tells me I can drop it into open time. Of course I do, then worry about it later. There is always MU and highboard to replace it. Anyways, good luck with it. I would just find a good service.

I think there is limit of OD's (Open Time Drops) but being realisitc, with the manning being what it is, the chances of dropping anything into open time are slim unless it is a turn.

As a practical matter, be prepared to be logged on at 0300 or 0400 right before the start of the month and after bids are awarded.

It's been my experience that on the rare occasions that trips go "green", it's been in the wee small hours of the morning. And, it's usually only turns that go green; rarely, 2 or 3 day trips.

As everyone else has said, if you HAVE to have the time off, a trip trade service is your best bet. They use your schedule as a resource for those wanting/needing to fly high time. If you have enough seniority that you can hold "desirable" trips, they probably won't charge you anything to get rid of your trips.

Thanks for the info and ideas. I am looking for September thru begining of next year. I hope that maybe mini leaves also be a possibility.
Mike,

I have been in school full-time for just over four years. I took an educational leave when I first started, but I did not renew the leave after the first semester. I found the educational leave to be too expensive and restrictive vis-a-vis the annual hourly requirements needed to qualify for vacation, insurance, etc. The insurance was extremely expensive (app. $650 a month for two of us), and I lost company seniority for the time I was out. In other words, if you stay active and just drop your trips (either through a bid service or on your own), you may find you have more flexibility.

Staying active allows you to pick up a trip here and there during the academic year (either on make-up or from hiboard). You can then fly full schedules during the winter and summer breaks and retain your insurance and vacation benefits. I always bid my vacation during the busiest time of the academic semester (i.e., during exams and final papers) in order to ease the stress. It's not easy to coordinate everything, but it is 'do-able'.

I'm not sure what degree you will be seeking, but I always recommend the following book by Robert L. Peters entitled "Getting What You Came For: A Smart Students Guide to Getting a Masters or a Ph.D." This book is filled with invaluable information ranging from the application process to successfully defending a dissertation.

Good luck in school. I'm sure you'll be happy with the move forward.

Peace,
Art Tang
IMA