Final Offer

deano said:
I hope you're kidding...everywhere I go when people find out I am a EX U mechanic they say something along the lines of, Good For You, Good You Got OUT, Those No Good Management Crooks. The public is outraged over what is happening to the U employee and the Public "Knows" it's management and NOT the unions.

Like it was said, how can one expect self evisceration in the name of saving the company so the top "dogs" can live another day and conquer another union some place else. If the IAM votes absolutely NO and I lose my pension in the process, so be it, and good for the men and women who have the fortitude to stand up to corporate insanity.
Curt
[post="229807"][/post]​

I agree with you...the public all over the country knows what a "piece of work"this managment team is....they publically say they feel so bad for all of us....and its not just Pittsburgh. Its everywhere, and even in the business community

This is a sad time for the employees.

My best to the mechanics, what ever they decide, I know its the right thing.

A320 Driver said:
We can debate this till the cows come home. Won't change a thing. The topic was "Final Offer, IAM to vote on final offer". There has been some pretty good info so far, but we all strayed from the topic. Is the IAM going to put the offer out for a vote or negotiate a settlement? That's what most of us want to know. IMO, the future of U rests solidly on these negotiations. They were late starting and are slow going. Mistakes have been made on BOTH sides. We made the same mistake hoping RJs and SJs would just go away...they didn't. Neither will third party maintenance as long as the cost differential is so massive.

Throwing previous posts up in my face will not change things either. You can either get personal or get real. Frankly, I'd prefer we get real.

A320 Driver
[post="229923"][/post]​

This situation with Mechanics is all about moving everything possible to the great state of Alabama. Sure, there are costs and rules in the contract that need to be changed, but the main thrust is bringing home the bacon to AL. It does erk me a little that Mobile Aerospace is owned and operated out of Singapore, and imports workers from all over the world. I cannot argue costs, but I will say you can buy a box full of wrenches from China for what a Snap-on wrench costs, and throw them away as they break. Problem is, it will fail when I need it most and I was too cheap to buy more than one at a time.

Q2DETX5 said:
This situation with Mechanics is all about moving everything possible to the great state of Alabama. Sure, there are costs and rules in the contract that need to be changed, but the main thrust is bringing home the bacon to AL. It does erk me a little that Mobile Aerospace is owned and operated out of Singapore, and imports workers from all over the world. I cannot argue costs, but I will say you can buy a box full of wrenches from China for what a Snap-on wrench costs, and throw them away as they break. Problem is, it will fail when I need it most and I was too cheap to buy more than one at a time.
[post="230059"][/post]​

I'm not with U anymore, but when I fly, I want that aircraft maintained by 1ST world , union (meaning people who are by contract rested and trained and paid well) mechanics!

What's the matter elmer . . . . don't like the airplane you're riding on maintained by 3rd world laborers with no mechanics licenses?? Don't worry there's a few mechs there that'll sign off the paperwork just exactly how the money people want. Or in some cases, a secretary. But I'm sure she knows how to put gas in her car.

Southwest has been outsourcing heavy maintenance its entire existence. Yet no problems. There is nothing wrong,in and of itself, with outsourcing maintenance.

local 12 proud said:
I have been very real and genuine with you on the aspects of third party maintenance, I have seen it up close and personal. as the old saying goes '' YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" will rear its ugly head. go ahead and portray aircraft maintenance as nothing more than a nucisance and big cost disadvantage as the airlines are doing it usually takes loss of life before changes are made. Im sure your familiar with the "TOMBSTONE" phrase tossed around the aviation industry, weve seen before and will see it again!..........." there is nothing new under the sun"
[post="229928"][/post]​

Southwest does not outsource all its maintenance. They do in-house C-Checks and in-house 1/4 D-Checks and they are bringing in more and more work everyday, just picked up ATA's hangar at MDW.

And WN has draconian oversight where there maintenance is performed by Goodrich Aviation Does most of their overhaul that is outsourced, not like US who is using a facility in AL owned by a foriegn company with over a 2 to 1 margin of unlicensed to licensed mechanics.

Which was Tramco which was started by Boeing.
Goodrich Aviation Everett Washington
Certificated Mechanics: 771
Repairmen: 83
Non-Certificated Mechanics: 484
Total Employees: 1690

ST MAE:
Certificated Mechanics: 532
Repairmen: 74
Non-Certificated Mechanics: 1173
Total Employees: 1776

As you can see Goodrich Aviation has a higher % of licensed mechanics then does ST MAE.

Winglet said:
What's the matter elmer . . . . don't like the airplane you're riding on maintained by 3rd world laborers with no mechanics licenses?? Don't worry there's a few mechs there that'll sign off the paperwork just exactly how the money people want. Or in some cases, a secretary. But I'm sure she knows how to put gas in her car.
[post="230067"][/post]​

To me it's the difference between people with careers and people with "jobs"...as for gas pumps, there's been a few I had to stare at for 30 seconds to figure out!

The bottom line is Third Party Maintenance is driven by cost, if the plane does not make its ETR the vendor get a penalty, so everything is driven by profits, not safety.

In-house maintenance are driven by safety and the very people overhauling it have a stake in the safety as they will one day fly on that plane or their families and coworkers will. Not driven by profits.

vc10 said:
Southwest has been outsourcing heavy maintenance its entire existence. Yet no problems. There is nothing wrong,in and of itself, with outsourcing maintenance.
[post="230078"][/post]​
I have a very good friend who is a LUV mechanic. I was all thru their hangers in Dallas this past spring and talked to the mechanics and bosses when I was considering employment at LUV. They farm out 12% of their maintenance and that is ONLY when the mechanics on the property are working overtime. They also have a team 100% dedicated to overseeing any and all out sourced work down to the last detail. This stuff I KNOW and can happily provide you telephone numbers to even the top dogs if you still don't want to believe the truth.

Curt... An EX U mechanic never to be a mechanic in this life time again, U was too much for ten lifetimes!

elmerfishpaw said:
To me it's the difference between people with careers and people with "jobs"...as for gas pumps, there's been a few I had to stare at for 30 seconds to figure out!
[post="230083"][/post]​
Well Elmer the mismanagers of the airline industry have the goal of turning all the careers into just "jobs".From where I sit, I'd say they have just about reached there goal.

Another ex U mechanic who had enough.

local 12 proud said:
YOU SIR do not have 30 years in AIRCRAFT OVERHAUL, you may indeed get that aluminum tube airborne and back to the pavement but until you have seen firsthand what ive seen don't presume to know MAINTENANCE! ive cut ribs and stringers out of commercial aircraft that were so corroded you could stick a punch thru without any force, nothing but exfoliated powder and the skin holding them in place. i have 20+ years in HEAVY AIRCRAFT OVERHAUL and have many horror stories but will not waste them on a know it all!............safe flying Driver ;)
[post="229915"][/post]​
Local,

Bravo! Can I hear you say:

The height and weight of the victim can only be estimated from the partial remains. The torso has been severed in mid-thorax. There are no major organs remaining. May I have a glass of water please? Right arm has been severed, above the elbow with massive tissue loss in the upper musculature. Thank you very much. Partially denuded bone remaining, this was no boat accident. Did you notify the coast guard about this?

The left arm, head to shoulders, sternum and portions of the rib cage are intact. Do not smoke in here! Thank you very much. So this is what happens. Indicates the non-frenzy feeding of a large squalus possibly Unjumanus or Isurus Glaucous. Now, the enormous amount of tissue loss prevents any detailed analysis however the attacking squalus must be considerably larger than any normal squalus found in these waters. Didn't you get on the phone to check out these waters?

Well this is not a boat accident! It wasn't any propeller! It wasn't any coral reef! And it wasn't Jack the Ripper! It was a shark.

757fixer said:
Well Elmer the mismanagers of the airline industry have the goal of turning all the careers into just "jobs".From where I sit, I'd say they have just about reached there goal.
Another ex U mechanic who had enough.
[post="230091"][/post]​

Very true. The days of working for a company in your 20's and retiring 40 years later are gone forever. It's effect on families, peoples stability and stress level is the cause of many of societies problems. Greed...just greed...I think if the ministers of churches taught against greed and covetousness and less about what the hell people do in the bedroom, the world would be a better place. Not the solution but a start. People gotta realise that they're more than thier job title....one week vacation after a year at a new job? BAH!!

A320 Driver said:
How's this:

1. IAM-M guarantees the company they can turn out the heavy checks at the same pace and at the same cost as the other outfits.

2. IAM agrees to address the productivity problems associated with utility possibly through the use of some multi-tasking.

That should save some jobs. What do you think 700?

A320 Driver
[post="229840"][/post]​
Yea right rocket scientist, all we have to do is paint over the corrosion and pencil whip it! Is that the kind of maintenance you want, Bubba?

Justme said:
Local,

Bravo! Can I hear you say:
The height and weight of the victim can only be estimated from the partial remains. The torso has been severed in mid-thorax. There are no major organs remaining. May I have a glass of water please? Right arm has been severed, above the elbow with massive tissue loss in the upper musculature. Thank you very much. Partially denuded bone remaining, this was no boat accident. Did you notify the coast guard about this?

The left arm, head to shoulders, sternum and portions of the rib cage are intact. Do not smoke in here! Thank you very much. So this is what happens. Indicates the non-frenzy feeding of a large squalus possibly Unjumanus or Isurus Glaucous. Now, the enormous amount of tissue loss prevents any detailed analysis however the attacking squalus must be considerably larger than any normal squalus found in these waters. Didn't you get on the phone to check out these waters?

Well this is not a boat accident! It wasn't any propeller! It wasn't any coral reef! And it wasn't Jack the Ripper! It was a shark.
[post="230096"][/post]​
that was an excellent movie, but could you elaborate further how that pertains to my post :huh:

Back