Flight Attendant

Buscador,
Upsetting WT isn't hard to do. All you have to do is put a wrench in Delta's Nazi Order. I think he's a Vice President that I consider the most useless money sponges in the airline industry. Just my opinion ;)

If you read that forum I posted, you will understand WT a bit better. Nobody is saying that he doesn't know his $#!7 about your industry, but he has an excuse for anything that is said about Delta. Someone referred to him as a Delta cheerleader. Even obviously bad publicity is spun to suit his purpose. So Delta can never do any wrong in his head.

If you read that other forum you will see that I point out all the questions you have, including pointing out to him that he is the only one who thinks WN will hurt Delta. I'm sick of repeating myself to him because he twists it to suit him...thus Word Twister.

I think he comes to the WN forums, aside from summoning him by mentioning DELTA, because he fears WN and knows that this isn't B6 coming to Datlanta, and eventually he fears it won't be business as usual. I think you and most other WN employees adhere to the 'if you can't say something nice...' rule, but I don't!

Around here, like WT pointed out, you can go and post on any forum. I mostly hang out at US forums, but I am on temporary IHATEUS(play of words :D) thanks to WT! I keep pointing out to WT that I am just stating my opinion, but he wants to play 'if you're not for Delta...' I even keep pointing out that I work at an airport, but not an airline employee, so duh, of course he knows more than me. I attribute that to his Delta condescending attitude, that you seem to know so well ;)

Knowledge is power and I've learned more about your industry as a whole in these forums than my years working at an airport. Most people are good and share their knowledge without arrogance. Then you have the WT crowd.

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride, pleasure knowing you and I hope you share more knowledge, especially about what you know best-Southwest!

Happy Thanksgiving ;)

Well put,, and here I thought I was going crazy,, seeing subliminal messages like DL is the ruler of the whole world,,, whew I was ready to check myself in :D..

keep up the creativity and one liners,, we know you dont work at DL because you actually have good witted humor,, that is never an option over at the gestapo,, opps I mean Datlanta,, i mean world domination airways,, damn there I go again,, maybe I should check myself in for just a couple days,, I seem to be slipping into delusion,,

Have a great day,, look fwd to your future ramblings

If you two would like to stroll down memory lane and read threads from DL's darkest days in 2004 and 2005, you would see there would be reason to have questioned DL's future.... but even then I was one of the few who said that DL would turn the company around and would grow into a global powerhouse. DL did its homework well and has executed one of the most dramatic turnarounds in aviation history - if not in the larger business world. As the 2nd largest airline in the world (largest flying under one brand) with more route miles than any other airline in the world no one in the right mind blows DL off as insignificant in the industry anymore. UA took a lot longer, had alot more to work w/ coming into deregulation but has still managed to turnaround.
And again, DL and UA RIGHT NOW are demonstrating financial results superior to some low fare carriers, including WN.
The notion that network airlines are wounded and unable to compete against whatever is thrown their way is just nonsense.
I can accurately counter alot of the criticism that is made against DL because most of it is either childish mud-throwing that isn't based in anything more than a personal vengeance against me... attempting to get back at me by means of DL won't work and those who try will be left looking like the fools.

I've been following the airline industry for 35 years and grew up next to WN's birthplace... I know their story very well.
I also don't and haven't failed to give them the credit they are due.
I also know the "business" of the airline industry VERY WELL. that is probably why I accurately predicted exactly what would happen with WN's assault on ATL which a whole lot of people on here were CERTAIN would result in huge wins for WN and huge losses (of whatever kind) for DL.
Because I know the dynamics of the industry, I predicted - accurately - exactly what would happen and I was DEAD ON ACCURATE.
If there is ANY 'score" given for how accurate one side or the other side was about the outcome, then I clearly "won"... but if it came down to mud-throwing, then clearly the title goes to others.
To attempt to distort the clear reality of what was said in the topic is at best immature and juvenile... and I won't even say what the worst entails.
No matter how much you much you may hate to admit I am right, WN WILL NOT BE GROWING ATL and will not be creating a hub the size that WN and FL execs said WN would create when the merger was announced. (So much for the notion that the network carriers were the only ones who distorted reality in their pre-merger sales pitches for their transactions)
I laid out a host of reasons why WN, a well run company isn't about to get into a pushing match with a network airline that is more capable of standing up for itself than any other network carrier.
Add in WN's shutout in the DCA/LGA slot bid, and WN will figure out that some of the DCA/LGA slots which were heavily skewed toward the ATL hub can best be used in other parts of WN's network.
You and all lot of other people can't seem to grasp the concept that business is business - and that means there is a whole lot of very accurate and critical analysis that goes on in the industry... if there are negative things to be said, they will get said, esp. about publicly traded companies.
You and a whole lot of other people need to separate yourself from the emotional attachment you have to your companies and accept the criticism that is said as being valid.
Specific to our conversation, that doesn't change the fact that WN's average employee salaries are higher than the network carriers'... but I didn't challenge that. I simply said that there are many network carrier FAs who fly int'l routes where they can rack of hours as fast as or faster than you can on WN get overrides that boost their salaries and get to take naps for several hours on each flight...they not only make as much as top WN FAs do but they are quite happy w/ their lifestyle. You didn't and still haven't acknowledged, Buscador, that some people do as well as FAs - again as if trying to argue some point which anyone else can see is valid.
The airline industry IS highly competitive and history shows that no one stays at the top for long... DL has had a few moments in the sun, just as WN, and AA, and EA, and UA, and PA etc..... the point is not that WN CAN'T figure out how to adapt and thrive in the new environment.
The point is simply that WN's historical strengths aren't helping them navigate the changes they are facing right now... while not surprisingly, some of their network peers are well prepared for the current industry challenges.
WN will have to pass through some great difficulties before it comes out looking good again... and in the process, the rosy picture for WN employees will look a bit faded for a few years.
In the meantime, don't take the criticism of your company quite so personally. Recognize that others might be "winning" at the game they play.
And know that until I receive bills from the owners of this forum, I will keep posting and I will keep shining the blinding light of the truth on whatever circumstances I see. If there is friction in the process, I can live with it... because ultimately even friction ultimately results in light. Just like gold, the truth is purified under heat.
I had a great Thanksgiving, thank you.
I hope your holiday season is equally as enjoyable.

I WT, thanks for the well wishes I hope your day was a good one as well,,,

I think you mis understood me, I am not arguing pay, I commented that I have more flexibility that allows me more days off for the money,., Does that mean more than every FA, no,, I am aware of maximums and minimums that can be restrictive,.,, I know many other FAs from other companies I have an idea of their contracts,,, in the last 4 days I have made 40 trip changes moving my schedule around, flexibility is important,, just my opinion,, but I am not going to compare it or boast about trades,,,I hope every FA to have a fun and prosperous career, unfortunately many wont..

I dont take anything personally, I am only a little rower on a huge ship, I stated that,, and I know my place and I can only go on the path management leads me

I hope every employee makes a good living, I have no ill will towards Legacies. I simply find it humorous by the arrogance of many of the Legacy carriers employees...I have seen this for over 20 years and it has only been in the last 5 years or so that people started to understand that SWA is not a trailer park airline,, that SWA is not hiding in a corner,,, it took many years to see the curious shift,,

I am not ignorant enough to not see the Big picture as I tell many of are more junior people, every Major airline has taken concessions, have had furloughs, had rough patches,, so I agree.. SWA has been avoiding the bad weather , but that can only last so long... it can and probably will happen soone rather than later in my career,, and I can see the possibilities.... We had 30 cities and 100 AC when I started, now we touch just about every major market which means growth now is harder than it has ever been,, I get it

I dont scream SWA is the best, comparing it to any other airline,,, cause rny opinion and research really doesnt matter.. It s not like rooting for a bully on the schoolyard to get beat up ..in a fight that will be over in minutes,,, cause the battles will go on and on for eternity between airlines... I have no power to change the path of anything,,, So I choose not to have animosity towards anyone, just pointing out my observations and opinions that come from my years in this industry,,

I will say that in my observations, over the last 18 months or so,,I have never seen so much animosity from so many passengers who are tired of all the Legacies so called rape fees,, to be nickled and dimed to death,,, Now Dl is apart of that as well,,, is SWAs choice not to jump in on the fleecing of americas paxs a good move,, I dont know,, In 2010 we carried over 100 million paxs, so maybe SWA should of jumped in on the raping....... Would definitely help the bottom line...put numbers more in line,,, but again I have absolutely nothing to do with that,,,, The passengers are starting to HATE the legacies,, the most complaints I hear are about,, US, Ual, DL, AMR in that order,,,, No one knows how this will pan out in years to come,, but something the Legacies may take notice of,, I only bring it up cause you like numbers,, well this may be a problem with bottom lines,, .. food for thought,,

Ok, I am tired so that explains the ramblings of a crazy barely coherant man... Goodnite to all

I don't think we are coming to some understanding... I don't know you personally but I have gained a glimpse into who you are - a person proud of what you do for a company that you like. I can admire that.
Our discussion in my eyes is about black and white issues.... I argue that it is possible for legacy FAs to make more money faster than you do. That is mathematically possible to calculate. I say WN's revenue performance is trailing the industry, also measurable.
I don't argue whether you think that DL pilots are arrogant or not - that is your opinion; I only offer that other people have opinions too... and you might not stand up so well in theirs. That is an opinion - something subjective, not concrete.
Do you realize that according to US DOT data, WN collects a higher percentage of its total revenue from ancillary fees than do some of the network carriers such as AA and UA (DL does collect a higher percentage of ancillary revenue than WN). WN may not charge for bags but they collect the same types of non-transportation revenues that other carriers do. But WN has always been a master at marketing and they manage to convince the world... but it doesn't change the reality.
WN WILL figure out how to return to its former financial strength....but it also doesn't change that they have made some difficult strategic choices like the FL merger, the LGA/DCA slot auction that aren't going quite as well as planned.
Keep doing what you do and do it well. Just don't take it personally if I point out the black and white objective aspects of the industry. You can agree or not and you can argue about subjective things lke whether someone is arrogant or not - and I can assure you I and others will let you say what you think.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend - however you most prefer to spend it.

If I'm not mistaken, most all airlines pay about the same to their F/A's.. SWA is known for how wonderful they supposibly treat their employees but when it comes to F/A, I see and hear a lot turn around.. I know a lot of F/A's at Delta that came from other airlines, SWA, AirTran, regional's, other majors etc... They say they prefer working for the legacy carriers because they get paid well and get to see the world. I'm not a F/A but I think it makes sense.

S/N: I hear this from a pretty good amount of pilots too, but I'm not a pilot either so I can't say for sure if it's true or not.

If you have met F/A from SWA that have made a switch to a legacy carrier,, I can tell you that it is only for one of 2 reasons,,

1- they got fired at swa/didnt make it off probation

2- they got caught up in the international thing,, and will forever be on reserve

Again, I find it hard to support your turn over comments,, SWA turn over is less than 1%

Yea it was crazy when I would see other FAs walk to the other side of the terminal to avoid SWA,, would mumble under their breath, trailer park,, cattle car or sometimes just laugh,,, even had a couple asked if I was embarrased to work for SWA...

Ok, I wouldn't be embarrassed by your paycheck, but I *would* be embarrassed by your weird usage of way too many commas.

Not to mention your summer camp counselor uniforms. Tell me, do you get a dry cleaning stipend for your polo shirts and khaki shorts? :D

Ok, I wouldn't be embarrassed by your paycheck, but I *would* be embarrassed by your weird usage of way too many commas.

Not to mention your summer camp counselor uniforms. Tell me, do you get a dry cleaning stipend for your polo shirts and khaki shorts? :D

yea you are right, I have always hoped we would go back to the stuffy suit and tie look circa 1995. I just feel so much smarter and it helps me hand out cokes and it feels incredible to know I am just like all the Legacies, maybe I would become a snob too. I am going to try it out, I will update you on my uptightness and inability to smile.

yea you are right, I have always hoped we would go back to the stuffy suit and tie look circa 1995. I just feel so much smarter and it helps me hand out cokes and it feels incredible to know I am just like all the Legacies, maybe I would become a snob too. I am going to try it out, I will update you on my uptightness and inability to smile.

Do you smile when other crewmembers accidentally cut in front of you in the TSA line because they don't even recognize your uniform? I've seen that happen all the time in MKE.

And it's the WN crews that are the most arrogant and uptight snobs, BTW. I can't tell you how many times they have stolen a hotel van in SLC even though another airline's crew was waiting much longer and was standing at the curb first. That's rude and inconsiderate, to say the least, but apparently the world owes them something...

Do you smile when other crewmembers accidentally cut in front of you in the TSA line because they don't even recognize your uniform? I've seen that happen all the time in MKE.

And it's the WN crews that are the most arrogant and uptight snobs, BTW. I can't tell you how many times they have stolen a hotel van in SLC even though another airline's crew was waiting much longer and was standing at the curb first. That's rude and inconsiderate, to say the least, but apparently the world owes them something...

thats funny,, cause in my 20 years in the business,, all the legacy F/A's used to laugh out loud, snicker and call us the trailer park airlines,, avoid us in the terminals etc... kinda like you about the uniforms,, well the mountain was steep, so I will enjoy the view while it lasts,, the only consistant thing in airline biz is change

So here is to all those who used to laugh and snicker, those who asked if I was embarrased to work for SWA... and I have yet to snicker, cause we are all employees. But pardon me if I dont get upset that others are snobby..

What is the latest news on the intergration with the flight attendants?
Last I heard was on the 5th meeting out of 10 possible,, the AFA walked into the room and said "its DOH or NOTHING, see you at arbitration"... WOW .. about the same place you guys were in Aug..

Just amazing

I guess from what I have read on here about the mechanics and the flight attendants, all the AirTran unions are thinking they will get DOH. I know that Airtran voted for IAM for the ramp just before SWA purchased FL. However I don't believe IAM will get a contract on the FL side. TWU which represent the ramp and ops agents have proposed seniority offers to the IAM and it was not met well. I am not sure how an arbritator will look at it but looks like SWA is a 40 year company, FL merged with the former ValuJet in 1997 but the original ValuJet goes back to 1992 but the first flight was in Oct 1993. So that makes AirTran about 18 years old. I am not sure how the arbritator will deal with that since SWA has double the history there is at AirTran. How do the arbritators come up with an seniority date for the AirTran folks. Personally I dont see DOH but I think a fair formula would the what ever pay raise the Airtran folk get will be in the formula for SENIORITY. The 737 start coming over in early 2012. What I am reading is that about half of the Airtran 737 fleet will move to SWA side be repainted and re-configured. The remaining 737's will stay in the Airtran color to fly the international until there is a new reservations system. After those 737 come over the 717 are next but their future at this point not certain. Many think SWA has made a deal with Boeing to return those and get 737 replacements.

If WN is interested in preserving their friendly culture and attitude among ALL their employees, DOH is the only fair and equitable option.

Screw over FL flight attendants and be prepared for Southwest to lose its reputation as A GREAT PLACE TO WORK. lol

You say that like your going to try and sabotage things! Becarefull what you say. As in any buyout/merger there is going to be upset feelings! Time will heal and if the role was reversed you would be fighting just as hard as SWA employees are. When SWA buysout/merges with Alaska I guarantee you won't want DOH, as you will be junior more than you are..

And with the attitude that you have SWA most likely would have never hired you. Or maybe they did and let you go!

Back