FLYERS should FEEL GOOD

To me it's no surprise that SWA has a strong bottom line, satisfied customers AND satisfied employees. Their success is not rocket science. In fact I would argue that it's merely good basic business skills put into practice.

According to my IT students in class this morning, WN is used as a case study of good management in their required management course.

In my class this morning, US was used as a case study of bad IT.

Any surprises at either of these?

According to my IT students in class this morning, WN is used as a case study of good management in their required management course.

In my class this morning, US was used as a case study of bad IT.

Any surprises at either of these?

You say,

WN= Good management
US= Bad IT

Are you correlating bad IT to bad management? They are not neccesarily connected since many companies have had fine management prior to the IT era.

The problem with US is that it has traditionally used a transactional business model, and now it is trying to become more of a transformational corporation. To do that sucessfully, the power has to shift more laterally instead of from top-down. This doesn't work for US because the employees haven't been given the proper tools or any kind of authority to execute decisions. If DP wants a more casual culture where we are more like equals, our input has to be taken more seriously, and our concerns need to be addressed. Currently, no one is running the show, the daily operations are falling apart, and there is no accountability.

Currently, no one is running the show, the daily operations are falling apart, and there is no accountability.

And that's precisely the problem.

If I were running things, given we're now into at least hour 14 of the website being down, the head of IT would be in my office and have to be accountable for this.

Of course, we all know in Tempe that pigs fly and Santa exists too.

In my IT class, I'm using Tempe as an example of bad IT practices, not necessarily bad management (even though we all know better). Before all is said and done, I'm sure there will be several textbooks that use the SandCastle as examples/case studies.