singh4us

Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
US Airways looking to bring call center back to US :up:

04:36 PM EST on Wednesday, December 7, 2005

By JEFF SONIER / 6NEWS

The new boss at US Airways has responded to a 6NEWS Investigation about overseas operators, who sometimes give out wrong information to customers on the airline's 1-800 number.

US Airways CEO Doug Parker talked to 6NEWS just as new government numbers show his airline is worst for customer service.

US Airways tops the list of all airlines in customer complaints this year. It is not exactly something to brag about for Parker.

"We won't accept unacceptable service," Parker said.

6NEWS caught up with Parker at the airport after flyers and workers complained to 6NEWS about who is answering the phone on the US Airways 1-800 line.

Union leaders said the airline laid off hundreds of experienced phone agents at the Winston Salem call center and replaced them with overseas operators who don't have a clue.

6NEWS also received a lot of e-mails after our story last month. One US Airways customer called the Philippine operators "a nightmare" and another wrote, “So long US Airways" after she was left on hold for an hour and 20 minutes.

"We've heard some complaints from customers as well, so we're working to get those individuals ramped up and trained," Parker said.

But the agents in Winston Salem told 6NEWS even after a year of training, the overseas operators hired to save money, still don't get it.

“You can't put a dollar amount on your passengers. Because without them, you don't have anything else," said union leader Becky Gerald.

And even the airlines new CEO now seems to suggest that US Airways' experiment with overseas call centers simply isn't working.

“We're doing our best to provide a level of service that our customers desire. If we can't get that done...we have to have people who will communicate with our customers and we'll make sure that happens,â€￾ Parker said.

Parker said US Airways is now looking at bringing those call center jobs back to the US and that the airline has no plans for more outsourcing in the future.

HALLELUJAH!!..........SOMEBODY OUT THERE IS LISTENING....THE RES CALLS ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE IN THIS INDUSTRY...EVERY SINGLE DAY I GET COMPLAINTS FROM PAXS...MISTAKES MADE COSTING US THOUSANDS.....ITS UNREAL.....GET THOSE JOBS BACK IN ENGLISH SPEAKING HANDS.....

i was at the towen hall meeting yes in clt at the line maintenance hangar and the question was asked about the foreighn res. parker responded by saying that he has heard many bad things about this issue and does not like it. it was a decision that the old managment made he said. he said that there are 2 possible solutions . 1, train these people to be customer friendly and 2, bring it back in house. he said he is leaning with option number 2.

i was at the towen hall meeting yes in clt at the line maintenance hangar and the question was asked about the foreighn res. parker responded by saying that he has heard many bad things about this issue and does not like it. it was a decision that the old managment made he said. he said that there are 2 possible solutions . 1, train these people to be customer friendly and 2, bring it back in house. he said he is leaning with option number 2.
Jerry Glass and the gang....................

Jerry Glass and the gang....................
Lets reopen the call center in PIT... LOL :up: :blink:

Kerry Carstairs is such an bubble head... I don't know why they kept her at the new US.... Looks like they gave her a job with less duties... thank god less things for her to &#&k up..

It would be great to see the PIT center open again. I met so many really nice folks out there in July.

But from a strictly business point of view wouldn't a Jet Blue type work from home scheme be more cost effective?

Please let this be true, if they work in a res center or in their pajamas, let them be in the US.

The day the outsourced res centers close, you will hear a collective sigh of relief from all counter agents. They make life miserable some days.

Lets reopen the call center in PIT... LOL :up: :blink:

Kerry Carstairs is such an bubble head... I don't know why they kept her at the new US.... Looks like they gave her a job with less duties... thank god less things for her to &#&k up..

Heh Heh. You said truck escalator (car stairs)

Bring res back to the U.S. I have first hand
knowledge that large numbers of dollars are
being spent to fix the errors that are being
made by the undertrained and English
challenged res agents. And the stories of
unbooked reservations that can be attributed
to these clowns is unbelievable. A large
consituency of former US customers have
left for other carriers because of the
poor service from MNL, MEX, and SAL agents.
So much for trying to FORCE people to use
the web. Heck, they won't use the web OR
the 800 line, they just go to another
carrier for their tickets.

It would be great to see the PIT center open again. I met so many really nice folks out there in July.

But from a strictly business point of view wouldn't a Jet Blue type work from home scheme be more cost effective?

Bob:

Are you sure you're talking about
US Airways when you suggest a "work
at home" plan? C'mon, you known the
drill. How in the he-double-hockey-sticks
can they effectively put their thumb
down and control the agents when they
are working from home? Plus the startup
costs to outfit res agents at home,
including a latptop (P3 160mhz/64mb Ram)
and a T1 or similar phone line to
handle the computer AND bounce phone
number from 800 line are way too
expensive. Of course, when you can
pay someone $9.00 per hour to do
the job, and save money on a physical
call center, it makese sense to pay
for the computer and T1 line, but hey,
this is US we're talking about, and
anything that makes sense is not on
the table.

At least BDP (before Doug Parker).

:down:

yep today i had to call res to help a pax with her reservation, after 45 minutes on hold i ask to speak to some state side or someone who would understand this problem and help me solve it ..since reservations screwed it up in the first place....guess what she did ...yep thats right ....... she hung up on me ... and this isn't the first dealing with res.......please ....please ....return it to the states...we are losing paxs fast... :angry:

Paging JaxPax......... :bleh:
Iwork in phx rez and all of what has been said about the outsourced agents is true. They even hang up on hp agents. We have pax that beg and plead not to have to deal with them. How sad. HP has never dealt with that type of customer service and its often awkward when pax are trying to defend themselves as not to be racist but still not wanting to deal with them. Unfortunately, until the systems are fully integrated we no choice in certain situations such as using DM(Divident Miles) but to xfer calls. I sat in on a townhall and Doug advised work at home is not an option. Another sad part is the wages are so low that the turnover is incredibly high and staffing a center to handle the calls that go to outsourcing would be difficult. What a great PR move it would be if we could get rid of the outsourcing and bring jobs back to US! Customer service would improve and pax on principle would book with US. Merry Christmas to all!

Did Doug say he was bringing the jobs back to the US or back to USAirways? Careful here, wasn't PRC the company that handles the DMSC calls and they are in the states (in Florida I think). PRC has lots of offices in the US, including Pittsburgh. There are alot of companies who handle outsourced calls in the US. They could easily give the calls back to the US, but they still won't be U employees handling the calls.

Mama

I'm not sure how you took my post, but it was a friendly jab at another poster with whom had we some spirited conversations over this subject.

Just for the record I was a VERY vocal opponent to the outsourcing and when CCY quit listening to me and many other posters on this board, several of us when public in the press expressing our views. That, lipstick and a couple of other stunts pretty much shut the door to my access to CCY.

In the end, I left with a commitment that I would not fly them again until the "brain trust" had left the company. Took almost ten months, but their gone and I'm still here throwing rocks and flying cockroach air from time to time .

It is going to take a lot more than Doug bringing back RES to the employees of US to get back to 150+ segments a year on them, but it would be great start.

Some common outsourced reservation errors.

1. Pax asked to go to Huntsville, Alabama (HSV). ON day of check-in, pax are ticketed to go to Huntington WV (HTS).

2. ... Charleston, West Virginia (CRW)... ticketed to Charlie South (CHS).

3. ... any NY/DC area airport... ticketed to WRONG airport.

4. .. pax paid change fee to fly on a UA codeshare operated flight NOT operated by United, travel is in next couple of days and paper tickets required. Paper tickets issued then mailed to customer, who will then have to purchase LTA because Res did not catch this. (this NEVER happened in PIT or Winston).

5. Pax using RTFC booked in Full F... and NOT ticketed

Latest posts