For all the complainers and moaners!

UPNAWAY

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
DALLAS
Full story in todays FT Worth Star Tellegram

"All of the major airlines could be in bankruptcy by early next year if oil prices stay where they are, a new study predicts.
The grim analysis, by the consulting firm AirlineForecasts, was commissioned by the Business Travel Coalition. Its author concludes that the airline industry is in a full-blown crisis "and heading toward a catastrophe."

The study found that if fuel prices remain high,

The top 25 carriers will spend over $28 billion more for fuel this year.

The major airlines could lose up to $9 billion over the next 12 months.

Fares would have to increase 20 percent across the board to compensate for the higher costs, something that "is not possible given the level of uneconomic seat capacity in the system today." Even though airlines have been raising fares aggressively, they've largely sidestepped routes where they compete against low-cost airlines such as Southwest. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that average fares were up about 4 percent during the fourth quarter of 2007, the most recent data available.

At least some airlines would be forced to liquidate if there are widespread bankruptcy filings.

"We're in uncharted territory in terms of the magnitude of this," said the report's author, Vaughn Cordle. He pointed out that his analysis was "a snapshot of the current situation," and that things could improve if fuel prices decline or the industry makes moves to stem the red ink. "

By the way for the “Just Raise Faresâ€￾ crowd!
The Majors have raised fares 20 times this year only 9 have stuck. No one airline can just raise their fares by themselves it would be economic suicide. I bet most of those 20 raises did not include markets where SW flies either.

Parker said himself, we can raise prices, but without the butts in the seat, it doesn't matter!

We aren't even flying at capacity. Get out there and nonrev while you still can!

Parker said himself, we can raise prices, but without the butts in the seat, it doesn't matter!

We aren't even flying at capacity. Get out there and nonrev while you still can!

We have got to be at or near capacity on our mainline ops. Everything I work on is oversold. Of course, most of the flights I work on are on the east coast. LAS,too.

"We're in uncharted territory in terms of the magnitude of this," said the report's author, Vaughn Cordle. He pointed out that his analysis was "a snapshot of the current situation," and that things could improve if fuel prices decline or the industry makes moves to stem the red ink. "

This just in: The sun rises in the east.... He isn't saying anything most of us don't already know.

Vaughn Cordle= D****e bag.

Even if/when he speaks the truth he has almost zero credibility within the aviation community

We have got to be at or near capacity on our mainline ops. Everything I work on is oversold. Of course, most of the flights I work on are on the east coast. LAS,too.

Pre 9/11 the infuststucture, airports, ATC and the airlines themselves used to consider virtually capacity at 80-85% anything over that and the systems starts to crash. I have not seen mention of that in a longtime and I don't no if efficiencies have improved that.
But just for arguments sake what if capacity hit 100%?
You could never miss a flight or cancel one. You could never rebook passengers even on AOL.
We already see those things at Christmas and during a major 2-3 day snowstorm. At what percent does that become common?
90 maybe?

Some people believe that we’re trying to get to profitability again , get more value for our share holders etc… that’s probably what DP and crew are aiming for .. I’m just hoping we can all hang in long enough for the government to reregulate the industry ….
Ours is not the only industry that’s being demolished with a sledge hammer by the cost of fuel , the construction industry is just biting the dust rite now and our BIG three automakers , well lets jus say everyone’s suddenly decided to buy fuel efficient foreign…

Our airline may just be a microcosm of what’s to come for our country .. perhaps this situation is akin to throwing a rock in a still pond and watching the waves ripple out from the center , we for instance may represent the first ring of the wave getting hit …

That's been my experience (and what I've heard from many FFOCUS FFolks, too). What flights aren't going on full? I want to use some miles and go there. :lol:

That's been my experience (and what I've heard from many FFOCUS FFolks, too). What flights aren't going on full? I want to use some miles and go there. :lol:

Full flights are profit are two completely different things. When your on a 90% full flight it might be loosing money and a %50 full flight might be profitable. SW has one of the lower LFs in the indsutry.

Why not bankruptcy again.

DoUgIe and his crack team can...

Screw the employees. Break all the contracts.
Leave his vendors high and dry.

And negotiate with the Board of Directors for more money to keeo his talented crew around.

It's all a fine line we walk.....Happy hour's calling

Unless you drink a lot of soda on a flight, a $10 fare increase would be much more costly for the flying public, and would be met with a yawn. These charges, while inconvenient to be sure, are strictly voluntary, and don't even affect First Class, Shuttle or transatlantic. It's Y subsidizing F.

Latest posts