Free the Hangers

In the "Business Casual" mentality, what's a jacket... and why does it need hanging?

And if you take this logic a step further... why do FAs and pilots need jackets as part of their uniform?

The pilots need to wear jackets in order to make use of the 50 coat hangers that the F/A's hide in the cockpit closet so the FC passengers won't see them and ask to have their coats hung.

Hey Everyone,

Morgan from corp comm here. Happy 2009!

I would like to clarify some of the discussion here about hangers in First Class cabins. We are not removing coat hangers from aircraft. Coat hangers are provisioned at one per first class seat. For the most part, our first class customers are offered to have coats hung up on hangers but occasionally hangers turn up missing on some flights. We are addressing this issue with both employees and our vendors to make sure coat hangers are provisioned as they should be.

And please feel free to drop us a line at [email protected].

Thanks!

I KNEW Tempe watched this board closely--thanks for making it clear to EVERYONE here!!

(Employees need to be careful what they say here...they will track you down)

But back to the point, it still doesn't address the problem of the coats being hung behind the last row of 1st class seats and getting SMASHED/restricting their recline. I offer to hang coats, but warn passengers that their jackets WILL GET "pressed" by reclining seats, thereby kind of negating the whole point of hanging a coat!! I then offer to lay their jackets on top of bags in the overhead--that way they are better able to withstand being rumpling, wrinkling, crushing by the seats in row 3 or 4 reclining......AND they will have easier access to their coats during the flight should they need to(without waking up sleeping, reclining passengers in rows 3/4)

Our passengers can see it is ridiculous to hang coats on those hooks--it doesn't work and screams CHEAP, CHEAP CHEAP.....plus if everyone has a jacket or coat--which happens often in winter on the east--a F/A cannot hang 6 or 8 coats on each side---it's just NOT POSSIBLE!!

..so just providing hangars doesn't in "real life" address the needs of our first class customers...

I KNEW Tempe watched this board closely--thanks for making it clear to EVERYONE here!!

I'm not an employee any longer. I can say whatever the hell I want. PM me, I'll say it and protect the innocent if you're afraid of getting busted.

plus if everyone has a jacket or coat--which happens often in winter on the east--a F/A cannot hang 6 or 8 coats on each side---it's just NOT POSSIBLE!!

"It worked just fine for HP; it will work just fine for East."
I listened to that chant over and over again during integration discussions.

Each coach seat also has mini hanger from the tray table switch. Sure it's no closet, but it beats having to fold it up and toss it in an overhead locker. I'm not saying US has to have these, but it's need to compare and contrast with our partners from time to time. Then again, vastly inferior 3 by 3 seating in BD Business vs greatly superior US F seating is a topic for a different thread.

Our tray tables have hanger hooks too! :lol: I've seen many pax in coach utilitize the tray table latch to hang their coats, jackets, and garment bags. I even saw a first class pax get creative and hang a garment bag on the back of a f/c seat somehow and it stayed. Unfortunately, I didn't let him keep it there during take off so we hung it on the coat hooks since there wasn't any room in the OHB.

Happy New Year from Delta's newest earned Gold Medallion diva! It has been a while since I last posted, but I see very little has changed. Hangers, but no space! Classic!

The new Delta (DL and NW) still have closets and hangers. Industry standard my a**! :lol:

I did complete the recent customer survey and offered my opinions and suggestions, so here's to hoping they do something with the data. It was very cathartic, though, to let them know how I felt. Too bad it was so late in coming.

I do hope everyone had a happy holiday!

I for one am glad that Morgan reads this board and occasionally participates. We may not always agree with Tempe's position, but at least it's an honest answer. I will say in response to Morgan's post that I don't think in the past 2 years since the closets were removed that I have ever seen the exact same number of hangers as F seats. I don't think you could possibly fit 8 hangers between Row 4 and the bulkhead, much less with coats on them.

But it just leads me to wonder.....who on earth would steal hangers from an airplane? That's really low!!! And how could 12 or 16 hangers disappear all at once?