Furlough question for any CWA members

apofurlough

Aug 20, 2002
I am curious as to what happens at the end of the furlough period - I am almost half way through the 3 yr furlough, having been one of the first to be let go. At the time of furlough, I still owed a huge balance on my uniforms which was frozen while on furlough. What happens to that balance at the end of furlough? Although I would still like to believe things will happen to bring me back, I still have 15 above me on the recall list and have heard of no recalls to the airports unlike res.

not sure if this will be of any help, but contract article 14d was amended to 4 years for recall...and flt benefits for self and eligible family members for 3 years..as far as uniforms go....what are they going to do ...bill you...
hope this helps

TPA is getting 8 part timers recalled as of Apr 7th. Just couldnt make the skd work with the staff they had left. Big holes in the middle of the day with Intl checkins and 3 people on the counter didnt cut it. If you pulled people to the middle of the day, you ended up at night with no one to work a couple of flights. Not sure what they will be doing though if and when the bombs start to fall. In the meantime, welcome back to those who have been called back.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/13/2003 9:56:54 AM tadjr wrote:

TPA is getting 8 part timers recalled as of Apr 7th. Just couldnt make the skd work with the staff they had left. Big holes in the middle of the day with Intl checkins and 3 people on the counter didnt cut it. If you pulled people to the middle of the day, you ended up at night with no one to work a couple of flights. Not sure what they will be doing though if and when the bombs start to fall. In the meantime, welcome back to those who have been called back.
----------------
[/blockquote]

this is a classic example of mismanagement.
tpa has quite e few full time agts working part time. instead of bringing back part time agts...adding payroll, benefits, unemployement insurance etc etc...why not upgrade the displaced full time agts..
cost the company nothing...they are already getting paid benefits at full time rates.

I was furloughed in Oct 2001 from PHL. I was recalled in May 2002 but turned it down: after being unemployed for a few months I landed a good paying job that I really enjoyed. Even the woman from USAir who called me said "honey, if you've got something you're crazy to come back here...in fact, they're getting ready to go through another round of furloughs and you'll be on the list."

My official resignation date was 25 May 2002 as that's when I said no to recall. In July I got a letter telling me to remit $551 for my uniform balance "within 30 days or collection procedures will commence."

I spoke to someone in Human Relations who explained: I cannot return the uniforms as the tags are removed, nor can I wear them in public as it's against policy. She suggested selling them but who's going to give me $65 for polyester trousers? She also added that if I sell them "to use discretion as they shouldn't end up in the wrong hands" -- as if I'd be marketing them to terrorists

Recently a letter showed up from someone in INT asking for the money again. Apparently my $551 is critical for the March 31st emergence from bankruptcy [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/4.gif']

Needless to say, they'll be waiting forever for the money.

formerlyus said:

My official resignation date was 25 May 2002 as that's when I said no to recall. In July I got a letter telling me to remit $551 for my uniform balance "within 30 days or collection procedures will commence."

DCAflyer replies:

You could always post them for sale on E-bay and send a copy of the post to CCY and the FAA. Something tells me you'd get a very high bid from someone working in Arlington, LOL. Of course, I would never sell uniform pieces to the public, but just the threat should command some instant action from those who have the audacity to enforce collection action on the part of someone who was furloughed and subsequently passed on a recall. Can these people get any more petty?

I haven't heard that they are billing flight attendants who resign for their uniforms. But I don't see how they can, since they required flight attendats who were furloughed or terminated to return the uniforms, rollerboards, etc.

DCAflyer

Actually, furloughed flight attendants have not been required to return anything but emergency manuals, keys, and company ID. I believe the first round, probationary FAs did hand in their uniforms- this was the group that was still on probation and terminated, but later added back on to the recall list and considered furloughees thanks to AFA. I cant imagine where the company could possibly store thosands of rollaboards.