Losing Seniority On Furlough

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
As a result of the latest concessions, at IAM-Fleet, if one accepts furlough, and is later recalled, he starts as a new hire for wages and bidding.

This is a radical departure from the norm.

Historically, one accrues seniority while on furlough. Many agents have done so.

I am curious - who else negotiated this protection away?

I'd like for responsible posters from ALPA, AFA, CWA and IAM-Mech to answer this question.

Under your current contract, if you accept furlough and are later recalled, do you accrue or lose your seniority?

Thank you in advance for your responses, and let's keep this thread brief, please.

This is just another fine example of how our Union looks out for us. As if it isn't bad enough you get furloughed in the first place, then you get slapped again with starting wage when you are recalled. As I said in another post, it is no mistake the company is on a hiring binge in PHL, DCA & BOS with 20+ stations being outsourced. By the time you get your packet, there will be very few vacant positions to be filled...for at least 60 days anyway. The Company wants to get rid of senoir people forever. Take the severnce, and the pay for unused sick time without looking back. We will be better off in the long run that those stuck on this sinking ship, as they will get Ziltch when this Company writes it's final chapter...
Chapter 7 that is.

I think that if you're the IAM and in a city that is being outsourced, I dont believe you even get the recall right. i could be wrong on that though but it would not surprise me as we all know how the IAM sold all of us in the outsourcing cities out from under the bus to protect the idiots in phl. if you want to get rehired it all starts over at starting wages and the likes.

For what it's worth, at my carrier we're IAM represented and we do not have this language. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is an entirely new precedent.

Pilots do not lose seniority while on furlolugh. They aren't hiring, so how can you lose seniority if no one comes in below you? What I believe you are talking about is longevity. We do not lose that either. We also do not gain longevity while on furlough. When recalled, you start at the same year of service as when you left. At least that is the way it was the last time I was furloughed/recalled.

If no one wants to go there publicly, I will keep any PM's regarding this confidential.

Thanks.

mech's come back at start wage after 5 years.....just says they go to 1st level of the pay scale nothing about seniority loss though.
however i bet you get porked if my instinct is right....

With the CWA if you are furloughed involuntarily and are recalled to a vacancy created by someone that took an early out you will start over on the pay scale. However, if you accept recall to a non early out position you will keep you pay and seniority.

How pathetic that the IAM would permit this take place. Lose your job, and IF you are fortunate enough to be recalled you go to starting rate. They should be Hung for this crap. This coud be a double "Whammy" to some members who are located in Outsourced stations.

wings396 said:
How pathetic that the IAM would permit this take place. Lose your job, and IF you are fortunate enough to be recalled you go to starting rate. They should be Hung for this crap. This coud be a double "Whammy" to some members who are located in Outsourced stations.
[post="257889"][/post]​

All they had to do was what my screenname says....But Nooooo

usairways_vote_NO said:
All they had to do was what my screenname says....But Nooooo
[post="257890"][/post]​
i'm quite sure that most in the outsourced cities did vote no but the majority that work in the bigg focus and hubs cities overrode it and force it upon the rest as we have now been given the green light to be furloughed to save their sorry a$$e$$