Furloughs for 2009

bunt3dunk

Aug 17, 2008
Anyone hear anything ? With the bookings for the next 2 months in the tank , February is brutal ,
and with a 9% reduction in capacity , it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whats coming.
It seems like the West operation may get hit like the East did in 2005 , the farming out of class2 and 3 cities.Lets hope for the best in 2009 !

The article says they are cutting mainline. What about express how much of that are they cutting?

"For 2009 domestic mainline capacity will be down eight to ten percent while total mainline capacity will be down four to six percent. Express capacity will be down five to seven percent." - Investor guidance issued today

Jim

The first quarter has never been a good time for the Airlines. I still remember how thrilled PI management was when the turned a profit for the first quarter back 79 or 80. Even in good economic times, the loads this time of year were pretty pathetic overall. Once the holiday traffic is over, and the college kids return to school, it is very slow until spring break kicks in. Given the current economic condtions, anyone who would expect good news is living under a rock somewhere.

has anyone told you that you are like.....a genius type? Like, a walking wikipedia maybe? If u spoke in public I would wave my lighter at you. If I smoked, but I don't. So, I'll just wave my sock and yell freebird if that's cool? Great, glad we had this talk. I feel so much more secure in our relationship.

Jim would make a great CEO with that attention to detail.

On a side note I am a really bad typer too.

Made a couple of small corrections...

Jim

Interesting to see how the quarter shakes out. US might finally shake its industry-lagging position re: unit revenue growth that it's held for nearly two years now. Year over year, consolidated PRASM was up 4-6% in October, down 3-5% in November and up 3-5% in December.

For the first time in a long time, US' RASM gain is equal to CO's if you take the middle of the range for each.

CO = 3 to 5% = ~4%
US = 3.5 to 4.5% = ~ 4%
Both consolidated.

At first blush it appears that charging for everything except a seat (US) is creating the same RASM increase as attracting higher yield passengers but not charging all of the ala carte fees (CO), although part is due to US' higher LF. Of course, any yearly increase in RASM from ala carte fees will be nullified once those fees have been in place for a full year - the revenue will still come in but won't grow much year to year. The effect of attracting more higher yield passengers tends to last a lot longer.

Jim

Back