GM TRIES TO COPY AA

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/09/24/...?partner=alerts

Well it looks like GM is trying to mimic AA in getting concessions, but unfortunately for GM they dont have the TWU.

Lets not forget that the UAW supported the mechanics at NWA. They gave those airline workers more support than the unions representing airline workers gave. The UAW obviously adhered to the union slogans of An Injury to One is an Injury to All. They saw that once one industry was successful at raping its workers it would embolden others.

It will be interesting to see what Little says. "We should support our UAW brothers in opposing GMs efforts do to them what I let AA do to you". More than likely he will attach his name to some weak worded letter of support from the AFL-CIO.

Yep, the UAW has done a great job. That's why their current workforce is around 50% smaller than it was in 1999. They've also shown the automakers that it's easier to stop investing in US factories and to build surplus capacity into their plants in Mexico. That way, when the US plant becomes obsolete, there is capacity already waiting to be used south of the border.

Yep, the UAW has done a great job. That's why their current workforce is around 50% smaller than it was in 1999. They've also shown the automakers that it's easier to stop investing in US factories and to build surplus capacity into their plants in Mexico. That way, when the US plant becomes obsolete, there is capacity already waiting to be used south of the border.

And AA isn't that far behind in shrinkage.

The UAW is in a much more precarious spot than airline workers because as you have pointed out cars can be made anywhere, that makes their fight even more corageous, instead of just rolling over they fight, unlike the airline unions, that are in a much better position since the majority of airline work can not be done remotely, who simply let the companies take whatever they wanted and eliminate a large percentage of the workforce. I believe the total for the industry was in the hundreds of thousands of jobs lost.

Time for change,

You do realize that the article you posted also highlights the deep disparity between having a union and not...for the good and for the bad. Those folks are UAW folks with pensions that are way better than most Americans and health benefits that are also better. Add to that the fact that those working on foreign lines are working on new lines that are some of the most technologically advanced thus there is minimum human capital. In reality, if GM/Ford/Chrysler were to get the same efficiencies as the foreign manufacturers have, they'd be wildly popular. GM, et. al., are at a serious disadvantage to Honda/Toyota. Either we need to find a way to force companies to provide those level of benefits again or accept that you can't have them.

You're right eolesen,

They did a great job.

The UAW sat at the drawing boards and came up with garbage like the K-car, the Pinto, and a stream of seemingly endless models of cheap and dangerous crap to foist on the American consumers. If they were responsible, it was because they just filled leadership void left by an arrogant management group.

Reminds me of AA management today.

The UAW does not run GM or Ford.

Blaming them for the current auto industry problems is wrong. Yes, they share some responsibility, but ultimately the buck stops with the CEO's and the policies of the last 20 years of congress/presidents.

The UAW supported AMFA and I supported the UAW by buying an American made Ford and GMC.
Why anyone would buy a Toyota "sludgemobile" ,Honda "automatic destruct transmission" or a Nissan "faulty rear axle"is beyond me.

I wish the UAW the best in their strike. Someone has to draw the line somewhere.

Striking workers will receive $200 a week plus medical benefits from the UAW's strike fund, which had more than $800 million as of last November, according to the UAW's Web site.

Whats in the twu strike fund

Time for change,

You do realize that the article you posted also highlights the deep disparity between having a union and not...for the good and for the bad. Those folks are UAW folks with pensions that are way better than most Americans and health benefits that are also better. Add to that the fact that those working on foreign lines are working on new lines that are some of the most technologically advanced thus there is minimum human capital. In reality, if GM/Ford/Chrysler were to get the same efficiencies as the foreign manufacturers have, they'd be wildly popular. GM, et. al., are at a serious disadvantage to Honda/Toyota. Either we need to find a way to force companies to provide those level of benefits again or accept that you can't have them.

So the UAW members should have less health benefits and forego pensions because they are better off than most.
And the technologically advanced lines that GM lacks is the UAW's fault and not that of management.
And the famous solution to the problem. Management and the upper crust gets thier golden parachutes and the employee gets sit

As far as having a union and not having a union I will take the union any day. Ask all the level fours that are out of jobs come October. Most came from the floor and are now sit out of luck.

Time for change,

Of course the Executives are exempt from any elimination in their benefits..

Guys,

I'm simply pointing out the disparity. Do I think they should have to give up their benefits? In a perfect world, NO! I don't like that we have free yet unfair trade. We do though. All I was pointing out was that, as the article stated, foreign manufacturers building plants here are also paying a lot less to the people working there. In addition, keep in mind that, especially for the Japanesse manufacturers, those are kit building plants. All the parts come from overseas and we snap them together. Our workers are still apparently not good enough to build things. This article actually does a better job of pointing out the problems legacy airlines are facing than supporting strong unionism. When you have new competition that plays by a different set of rules, you either have to adapt or become history. The UAW can't continue to look for the all ellusive job security parachute when their competitors don't offer it and thus are able to pour more into R&D. Similarly, when new airlines are sending planes to far off places to overhaul planes and none are falling out of the sky as so many claim they will, you can't blame AA/UA/DL etc. for all the problems. There is a shared responsibility. Playing the poor me, I'm just a line worker who has no control card doesn't jive.