AMFA NWA strike, what really happened.....

He was my GLR in CLT and worked with him on many issues including the Airbus Outsourcing Arbitration.

The bottom Line is NWA had 4400 mechanics when AMFA took charge of their interests and handed them over to non-union Delta with 670 Members remaining.

Reactions: 1 person
The bottom Line is NWA had 4400 mechanics when AMFA took charge of their interests and handed them over to non-union Delta with 670 Members remaining.
I guess you could shorten it to that if you bury your head and ignore all that really happened.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D34ag4nkSh7Q&sa=U&ei=TwgkUeTYF8e5rQGh6oDIAg&ved=0CDUQtwIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNEl60H683W9mvOG9Y_AA9EEDGuALQ

Reactions: 2 people
What is interesting and enlightning is the fact that people still will not get out there (on the internet) and do their own research when it all effects their futures. The teamsters, TWU and even the IAM are all industrial unions, they will tell you anything to get you to sign a card for them. It is time for the mechanic ranks at AA to get the final cards in. Do your research and get those cards in gentlemen. One question about the dates; would it not be better to file prior to the members falling off the list? Or did I miss something? We only have 5 weeks left for my prediction to be true of a 1st Q announcement. Oh well, I'll still go with a second Q announcement as a back up. LOL...
And if it doesn't happen in the second Q, then will the third be your back up - back up. LOL!!!

Man you don't have a clue!
The MEMBERSHIP voted to strike, AMFA did what the MEMBERSHIP decided.
You may also note that ex-iam local president
Hurley
Mike%20Hurley.jpg

and ex-iam chair
Golofski
Don%20Golofski%20SCAB.jpg

were the first to cross the picket line (can you spell SCAB?).
I know, I was involved and walked the picket line with them, donated time and money in support at SFO.
Not all IAM members wanted to cross the picket line, I knew a ramper at SFO that was torn, but he did refuse to do push backs.
Why don't you educate yourself?
WTF did you do?

B) xUT

Reactions: 5 people
Note that most of what Chuck (and Boomer) posted points to the leadership at each union, and not the rank and file. I know I sound like a broken record, but out-of-step leadership in any union is a big reason why representation is in a downward spiral in the US.

Not for nothing, I got more grief from 143's leadership for refusing to do struck work than I did from the company. Same story for calling them out on their refusal to adequately enforce article 26 in our CBA. Thankfully, DePace and many others were ousted at the earliest opportunity, but IMO, it was still too late.

As most of you know, I'm not a fan of craft unionism per se. What AMFA does *extremely* well is engage their membership; something that any other group- large or small- would be wise to look at.

For example, having members sit in on contract talks shouldn't be a novelty or selling point; it should be the norm. Same story with having most officers still doing their "day job." Until the Roach's and Little's of the world either change or get out of the way, labor as a whole will be stuck running in place.

Spot on Kev!
If the IAM would change to allow more membership decisions, it wouldn't be as bad.
But they won't and will watch their membership dwindle with their head in the sand.

Take Care,
B) xUT

Citing SARS, Northwest Invokes Clause to Allow Layoffs

IIRC NWA was the only airline to use this.

Northwest Airlines, citing a decline in Asian traffic because of the outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome, has invoked an emergency clause in its labor contracts that allows it to lay off employees without notice.

The action is the first by an airline to invoke the clause, called force majeure, in response to the illness, known as SARS. Airlines around the world have experienced double-digit declines in traffic to Asia, where Northwest and United Airlines are the two major American carriers.

Officials of the union representing Northwest's mechanics, which was informed of the move in a letter from Northwest on Tuesday, said yesterday that the airline was exaggerating the impact of SARS as part of its campaign to win $1 billion in wage and benefit concessions from its unionized workers.

''What if we come back and say, 'No way, we're not giving concessions to Northwest again?' '' said James Atkinson, president of the union, Local 33 of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association. ''If that happens, here's their answer: 'We're invoking force majeure and taking out another 1,000 technicians.' ''

Read the rest yourself.

B) xUT

Man you don't have a clue!
The MEMBERSHIP voted to strike, AMFA did what the MEMBERSHIP decided.
You may also note that ex-iam local president
Hurley
Mike%20Hurley.jpg

and ex-iam chair
Golofski
Don%20Golofski%20SCAB.jpg

were the first to cross the picket line (can you spell SCAB?).
I know, I was involved and walked the picket line with them, donated time and money in support at SFO.
Not all IAM members wanted to cross the picket line, I knew a ramper at SFO that was torn, but he did refuse to do push backs.
Why don't you educate yourself?
WTF did you do?

B) xUT
I thank you for your support. I used to call Hurley a brother. I worked with him on several occasions doing union work. I was an IAM supporter until they began beating the concession drum. I was an early and avid supporter of The AMFA and its philosophy. I helped bring AMFA to NWA then to UAL.

I am an honorable member of the 444. I voted to strike and meant it. I was not going to vote to eliminate 53% of the mechanic workforce with my vote. I was one who knew exactly what I voted to do. I was prepared to vote away my career because it was that important. Most of us felt that way. I would not change me vote. I have a fantastic career now after NWA.

The facts laid out by the OP are correct.

The IAM is nothing but a scab union. They will never be forgiven for the betrayal of one of the tenents of unionism. I thank Kev and others who refused to perform struck work. But the IAMAW will not get a pass from me. People like 700UW, who defend the IAMAW actions in one breath, then say how big of a union man he is make me physically ill.

I hope you all don't believe the BS being put out by the IBT and TWU.

One thing you should know if you vote in The AMFA. You are the union. There is no "they did that brother". With AMFA, the they becomes us, we, me, and I.

Reactions: 3 people
I thank you for your support. I used to call Hurley a brother. I worked with him on several occasions doing union work. I was an IAM supporter until they began beating the concession drum. I was an early and avid supporter of The AMFA and its philosophy. I helped bring AMFA to NWA then to UAL.

I am an honorable member of the 444. I voted to strike and meant it. I was not going to vote to eliminate 53% of the mechanic workforce with my vote. I was one who knew exactly what I voted to do. I was prepared to vote away my career because it was that important. Most of us felt that way. I would not change me vote. I have a fantastic career now after NWA.

The IAM is nothing but a scab union. They will never be forgiven for the betrayal of one of the tenents of unionism. I thank Kev and others who refused to perform struck work. But the IAMAW will not get a pass from me. People like 700UW, who defend the IAMAW actions in one breath, then say how big of a union man he is make me physically ill.

One thing you should know if you vote in The AMFA. You are the union. There is no "they did that brother". With AMFA, the they becomes us, we, me, and I.

God bless ya brother. (I'm wondering if I know you....I wasn't there during strike-beforehand 92-98).................
But I saw all I needed to see of the IAM while there at NWA. "Glenn Quagmire" is right on according to other honorable I've spoken to up at Boeing. I can't stand the IAM used car salesmen...(TWscrews goons are identical-and have seen same exhibited from IBT lying sacks of $**t)

That's why you have my respect! I was a 47% on the UA BK Contract and ready to take it to the street.
IMHO, the UAL capitulation put more pressure on you guys N'gals. For that I apologize.

My 'up most' respect is to see the that there were zero scabs in SFO.
Scab List

Best to you!
B) xUT

For example, having members sit in on contract talks shouldn't be a novelty or selling point; it should be the norm. Same story with having most officers still doing their "day job." Until the Roach's and Little's of the world either change or get out of the way, labor as a whole will be stuck running in place.

When was the last time Roach worked on the ramp or in the pit of an aircraft? I mean seriously, why does one of the top IAM officials come from a carrier that hasn't existed for over a decade, they really should get some new talent that is more in tune with the realities at the remaining carriers the IAM represents workers. You have posted before that Buffy & Roach are complacent; the membership should hold them accountable and be able to get new more effective leadership.

Josh

Once again, Roach is now General Secretary Treasurer and has been for over a year and has been posted before, Sito Pantoja is now GVP of Transportation.

Note that most of what Chuck (and Boomer) posted points to the leadership at each union, and not the rank and file. I know I sound like a broken record, but out-of-step leadership in any union is a big reason why representation is in a downward spiral in the US.

Not for nothing, I got more grief from 143's leadership for refusing to do struck work than I did from the company. Same story for calling them out on their refusal to adequately enforce article 26 in our CBA. Thankfully, DePace and many others were ousted at the earliest opportunity, but IMO, it was still too late.

Kev, why did the IAM along with the AFL-CIO encourage their members to not honor AMFA picket lines, not provide food or other assistance to AMFA members? People generally (union workers especially) don't take on additional tasks for no additional compensation, there was clearly something greater here if the IAM was willing to perform free push backs and starts ups for NWA even if it was a small number of stations, and that was just to spite AMFA. Is this what the labor movement is all about? Look at the recent Hostess liquidation, the IBT was willing to work with management to offer the necessary concessions and even publicly stated the BCTGM was the one being stubborn and unwilling to accept the economic realities. What was most interesting to me is the IBT called for a secret ballot to approve the concessions rather than an open election, contrary to big-labor support of card check saying that workers who otherwise support the concessions would feel intimidated.

Josh

Reactions: 2 people
Once again, Roach is now General Secretary Treasurer and has been for over a year and has been posted before, Sito Pantoja is now GVP of Transportation.

I can't imagine he has climbed in the pit of any TWA aircraft recently.

Josh