Going the extra mile!

767jetz

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Continuing my theme of positive spin on UA, I''d like to share an e-mail with you, that I received from one of our passengers after a trip out west from Charlotte. It illustrates the power of every one of us going the extra mile. To all the good employees at UA, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! We will prevail, one segment at a time!

We just returned home from our trip to the West and found your e-mail with the pictures that you took of our children on our flight out. I wanted to say that your invitation to the girls to come up front after we landed really made their day. It was very special for [name removed], and a birthday that she will not forget. We usually fly with USAir because of their hub location in our home town, but friendly service, clean planes, free movies, and crews such as yours have made us think twice before we book our next ticket.

Thanks again for your going the extra mile for our kids.

Sincerely - [name removed]

----------------
On 8/3/2003 1:09:42 AM bigbusdrvr wrote:

----------------
On 8/2/2003 10:29:23 PM 767jetz wrote:

Continuing my theme of positive spin on UA,  I'd like to share an e-mail with you, that I received from one of our passengers after a trip out west from Charlotte.  It illustrates the power of every one of us going the extra mile.  To all the good employees at UA, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!  We will prevail, one segment at a time!

"We just returned home from our trip to the West and found your e-mail with the pictures that you took of our children on our flight out.  I wanted to say that your invitation to the girls to come up front after we landed really made their day.  It was very special for [name removed], and a birthday that she will not forget.  We usually fly with USAir because of their hub location in our home town,  but friendly service, clean planes, free movies, and crews such as yours have made us think twice before we book our next ticket.

Thanks again for your "going the extra mile" for our kids.

Sincerely - [name removed]"

----------------​
-------------------------------------------------test

----------------​
------------------------------------------------------
When you wake up without the denial of UAL's situation then I will respect your posts!!

----------------
On 8/3/2003 1:11:32 AM bigbusdrvr wrote:

------------------------------------------------------
When you wake up without the denial of UAL's situation then I will respect your posts!!

----------------
I'm not quite sure what this means.
Where is the denial in posting an e-mail that a passenger sent to me?
The fact is that I get comments like these almost on a daily basis from our customers.

767jetz, thanks for going the extra mile. I assume that you carry a digital camera in your flight bag.
I'll be joining your two week hiatus.

Future BigEMBdrvr, welcome back. Glad U could join in constructively.

767jetz,
I appreciate all the positive things you are doing to get the customer back. It is good to see pilots shining up the image after tarnishing it so badly during the summer of hell.
I can understand the reasoning behind it and the procedures we always used to negotiate contracts, but customers who were stuck in airports for days, looked at it differently.

Who knew that the world of aviation as we knew it would and could not last.

Just as one incident did not take down Ual, it will take many things for us to become the airline of choice.

Pilots always had the most to lose, and still do, but there is a new prospective for all since this happened. It's time to feed the goose instead of choking it to death.

Thanks for feeding it.

Ukridge:

Again, you have espoused my sentiments very well here. I thoroughly enjoy your posts.

Thankyou for choosing and flying The Friendly Skies!

Novaqt

PineyBob,

I believe that what the posters on the United board find rather in poor taste is not the news but rather the manner in which Mr. Munn presents it. No one can deny the seriousness and even precariousness of United's financial situation. This has grown trite in its repetition but is admitted by even the most fervent of observers.
For those of us who are 'third-party' (in other words customers) to the airline we have a vested interest through our frequent flyer miles and good flying experiences to wish the best for United. It is undeniable that the open source news postings by Mr. Munn lend little to the discourse. These 'breaking news' listings are even carried on our side of the Atlantic by the Financial Times (FT). We call such actions being too eager by a half. The leitmotif of the hired hand who aspires to the royal's box at Ascot does not play well in such a confrontational manner. Simply the use of current and forward looking information would lend credence to the post. This is not "spin." It is the hallmark of rigorous debate and disputation. It is this type of debate that occurs daily in many industries around the world. Frankly and unfortuantely as is the case here by Mr. Munn, I have never seen such delight in the downfall of others.
I ask that you go through and read the posts on this board by Mr. Munn. I believe that you will agree if you view them from the touchline that they are indeed provocative and are pregnant with glee and schadenfreude.
Cheers

Because of you guys, the future of this board as a forum for IDEAS, is next to hopeless.

There's no need to boycott the boards, but we might need to boycott endless attacks on credibility. As far as I can tell an anonymous bulletin board isn't exactly where one should look for credibility. That's why it's useful as a place to encounter interesting ideas.

Endlessly discussing somebody's credibility, instead of addressing ideas, or just shouting your own ideas, is irrational in the extreme.

Paradoxically, some posters have destroyed their own credibility for interesting ideas by trying to point out others lack of credibility.

The ideas will win out. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez. IT'S AN INTERNET BULLITEN BOARD! Get real.

PineyBob - Well said Sir. I believe that you have written as fine a synopsis as is to be had on the topic. As for repairing to the dictionary I must say that Lark had me scurrying for the old tome this very afternoon when he/she employed the word "thaumaturgic" in the thread 'Ukridge comments.'

RowUnderDCA - I also agree with you. For those like myself who have no gained expertise in the financials of the the U.S. airline industry it is informative to listen in (so to speak) on the debate. I understand your weariness with the constant questions concerning credence. Though I certainly do not pretend to be an arbiter in this matter, a number of United posters (Cosmo, Iflyjetz, 767jetz among others) do seem to have a point in raising critique in the matter of the currency of informational postings. These writers have often questioned the dated material that is posted and espoused as still extent. An example of this would be posting information of load factors and expenses of December 2002 while we are in the last half of 2003. I think you will agree that for the debate to be credible the information should be up to date.
We all would like to see a free expression of ideas but sometimes the devil is indeed in the details and I can understand the efforts of some to make sure these details are properly analysed.
To add an opinion, I would say that though many of us are not privy to board meetings and financial dealings at the highest level it is constructive to follow trends. I am a firm believer that the layman can do quite well as an observer in following trends and predicting outcomes. Mr. Munn in his unusual way is trying to do this so it is not his premise that I disagree with. Often, as history will bear ample witness, the lay reader has done as well as the 'expert' in noting in which direction events or industries will follow. I trust that this very spirit will prevail on this board. I think you will be surprised in the end how well we collectively have done.

PineyBob:

UAL has a promotion "Fly Three Fly Free". If you purchase and fly three first or bus. class trips, UAL will automatically send you a free ticket.

767jetz,

It is good to see the extra mile bear noticeable fruit for you guys. The one thing I noticed was when I called the Premier Exec desk 5 times or so to make changes to my upcoming itinerary, they were always incredibly helpful. Though one unfortunately noticed that I was being undercharged by 15,000 FF miles (crap!), they were all incredibly helpful and friendly. On this basis alone I would recommend dealing with UAL to anyone.

Thanks for all your hardwork, when I am able to start flying on a regular basis again, I wil definitely seek out UAL.

Good luck to you all,
CAETravlr

----------------
On 8/4/2003 5:31:55 PM Chip Munn wrote:

Separately, I'm becoming very concerned UA may not survive in light of Friday's loss announcement and PineyBob your points above are valid

Time will tell how this will unfold, but with the Q4 2003 and Q1 bookings soft, it will be interesting watching this all unfold

Best regards

Chip

----------------​

Concerned?!? Yeah right....somethings growing inside you, but I don't think it's concern. I hope that UAL has the right stuff to pull out of this, but regardless of the future results, I find it horrifying how much you hope for this. Do you want an insiders view of how this feels? Imagine if we posted each day that we hoped something horrible would happen to one of your children...then each and everyday we kept posting away that maybe, hopefully soon, one of your kids would just disappear. over and over and over....and with GLEE too. Maybe even in bigger fonts. We just like you, love the industry and certainly don't want to see ANYONE out of work. I understand that its par for the course of this industry to see airlines disappear but I've never seen anything as vile as your outward glee in our possible demise. I can assure you that I will go the "Extra Mile" tomorrow, and the next day, and each and everyday I'm allowed to represent my company. I certainly hope you can respect that Chip. Can YOU?

Ukridge & PineyBob:

I disagree with your thought that I have an "ax to grind" with UA, however, as I have said before, I have taken exception to UA ALPA and their "pre-nuptial" seniority idea and those who dispute my comments that I know are true.

My only interest in UA is how it effects US because the companies continue to integrate. Just today the Denver Post wrote a column on UA and discussed US moving to DIA's B concourse. The companies continue to work on integrating facilities at many locations, which should not come as a surprise.

Separately, I'm becoming very concerned UA may not survive in light of Friday's loss announcement and PineyBob your points above are valid.

Time will tell how this will unfold, but with the Q4 2003 and Q1 bookings soft, it will be interesting watching this all unfold.

Best regards,

Chip