Hawaiian Airlines Announces Wide-Body Fleet Expansion

Paul

Veteran
Nov 15, 2005
Hawaiian Airlines (Amex: HA; PCX) announced today that it has signed letters of intent to acquire four additional Boeing 767-300 aircraft, which will bring its long-haul fleet to a total of 18 of the wide-body aircraft. The company expects to introduce these aircraft into service after necessary modification work has been completed. The expected dates of introduction and the additional services these aircraft will operate will be announced at a later date.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20040827/LAF044LOGO )

"This expansion is great news for our company, our employees – especially those we will be able to recall from furlough -- and for Hawaii tourism," said Mark Dunkerley, president and chief executive officer.

The four 767-300 aircraft Hawaiian will acquire were previously operated by Delta Airlines, which rejected its leases on the aircraft in conjunction with its ongoing Chapter 11 reorganization. Each will be overhauled and outfitted in Hawaiian's standard interior configuration, including 18 seats in First Class and 242 seats in Coach. The letters of intent are subject to certain closing conditions.

PR Newswire

I assume these are going to be ER aircraft.

It would surprise me to learn that DL rejected leases on any 300ERs because they lean heavily on those for their international routes to Europe, which is a focus point for their reorganization. I suspect they are straight 300s.

I have now read that they are indeed straight -300 aircraft and not -300ER's. HA will be converting them to -300ER's. See what I get for assuming.............stupid me. just my thoughts.........

I have now read that they are indeed straight -300 aircraft and not -300ER's. HA will be converting them to -300ER's. See what I get for assuming.............stupid me. just my thoughts.........
I doubt they will be converted to ER's. The costs would be huge. They will have to convert them to ETOPS though which will be expensive enough. Even before BK we were hot even thinking about converting the non ER's to ETOPS status. They are going to be spending a bunch of cash on some old airframes.

A regular -300 would have no trouble flying from Hawaii to the west coast. The ER's that now fly west coast routes would be freed for longer flights.